Does food relieve or aggravate your pain?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, as some of you may know from my previous posts on here I am curently dealing with a chronic abdominal pain issue that causes constant upper abdominal pain and yellow stool. So far all my tests have been negative (scans and scopes).

My pain is often relieved by eating for a couple of hours, and is worse on an empty stomach. I originally thought I had a duodenal ulcer but my last endoscopic procedure in September was clear of ulcers and inflammation. This led me to look into pancreatic causes as I did have a small cyst on the tail of my pancreas in August, but it has since disappeared in my last two scans (ultrasound and MRI).

What I am wondering is does food relieve or aggravate your pain, as I know my symptoms seem atypical from most?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all of your insight!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

TYpically Increases pain but not so much if I used igestive enzymes and I am smart with what I eat.  
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, what kinds of foods do you find helpful? And what type of enzymes do you use?
  • Posted

Food aggravates my pain.
    • Posted

Hi Daisy, sorry to hear that. About how long after you eat does your pain escalate?
  • Posted

Food does not always aggravate my pain immediately. Sometimes hunger makes the pain much worse.

But if I eat too much the pain is,unbearable.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Candice. About how long after you eat does the pain come, and can you describe it?
  • Posted

Hello jon,

Like I said in your previous post. The food increases the pain after eating for me usually after an hour or so.

In the case of Gastritis, the pain decreases after eating. Have you been diagnosed with gastritis.

I really hope you find an answer to your problem.

• Posted

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. I had an upper endoscopy in September that was negative for ulcers and inflammation. All scans so far have also been negative (ct, MRI, ultrasound, chest X-ray). Blood tests have also been negative. Still trying to figure out what I have...
    • Posted

Have started taking creon yet? If so how is pain after taking it? It's unfortunate that none of scans points out to the problem you have.

• Posted

I tried Creon a couple of days ago, but didn't notice any difference in my pain levels. How long does it usually take to work?

• Posted

It depends on the condition of your Pancreas, as per my knowledge, if your pancreas is inflamed it will take few days, as your pancreas needs time to become normal.

But you are saying all the test they ran on you came out clean, that part is confusing.

• Posted

Yea I don't get it either. From what I've read constant pain should occur during a late/advanced stage of CP, but then that should be seen in most imaging tests. Early stage CP usually is intermittent acute attacks.

• Posted

Sometimes the pain comes long afterwards but i have a dull ache permanently. If you join the facebook groups you will see we are all in the same boat. Creon does not always help the pain.
    • Posted

Yea I've been posting on Pancreas Pals on FB. I'm still hoping it's not my pancreas due to my negative tests, but I don't think I'll be able to relax until I have it confirmed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.