Does Lexapro cause suicidal thoughts?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I believe I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks. My psychiatrist prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro he wants me to start off with 5 mg. He also wants me to switch from atenolol to propanolol. Will lexapro make my anxiety worse or cause suicidal thoughts? I am terrified of side effects and I'm also iffy about switching to the propanolol.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How old are you? I honestly don't read side effects of any medication I take and I rarely get any.

• Posted

i took Lexapro once and I also have high anxiety.

it worked well for me....I didn't have suicidal thoughts...eveyrone is different and I think all antidepressents have the warning about what to do if you notice you become more depressed or have suicidal thoughts.

So....give it a try...if you feel better good...if not switch.

• Posted

I think when we read side effects it makes us believe they will happen .

So try not worry that they will to you , the chances are you wont have suicicidal thoughts . Maybe just let someone you trust know you have changed tabs at least you will have peace of mind ...

I was on lexapro a long time ago and had zero side effects . Hope this puts your mind at ease .

• Posted

Hi simoneg.

Everyone is different but i think you would be better at least trying propanolol for a while as it causes less problems, especially where the heart is concerned, than atenolol.

People have different experiences with different medications. As you know, what might help one person may be of no use to another.

Personally, i refuse lexapro but it helps a lot of people.

If you yry it and it doesn't help, you can always have it changed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.