does medication help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i have been suffering from anxiety, for months.

When im out alone i get panic attacks.

I want to get back to my normal happy self, i have been given propranalol does it work for some people

thankyou x

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mary

Yes they do help somewhat,I've had anxiety and depression for months, panic attacks and not eating, worried about going out etc.

I am on propranolol 3 times a day and they seem to be helping me now.

I have been on them for about 3 weeks, and even though everyone is different, I would say give them a try.

I do hope you feel better soon.

Regards and take care 😊

• Posted

Thankyou very much x think i need to as i need something to get me back on track , did you find you had any side effects, i think its my mind working overtime
    • Posted

Hi again

Yes you still feel a bit lightheaded etc,but nothing otherwise.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Maureen I don't take medication but I'm not eating properly and losing weight. This is causing the anxiety to be through the roof! Did you/are you losing weight? Anyone else care to comment on this please? Thanks in advance. E. 
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I lost 1 stone in weight over about 4-5 weeks

I told my doctor because even looking at food or the thought of preparing food made me nauseous.

But the doctor gave me Mirtazapine to take 1 at night and it helps me sleep ( a little too much ) and had also given me an appetite again.

What I did try though when I wasn't eating, was a complan drink as it's full of nutrients and vitamins and soft fruit and yoghurt, also if you like Kiwi fruits they are good as they are full of seratonin which is the natural feel good factor which I sadly lack.

Good luck and I hope you find something to help you. 😊

• Posted

Hello again thank you so much for your reply. I'm petrified of docs n hospitals etc so try to go it alone. I'm same with food. Can't think about shopping or cooking let alone eating. 

Thanks a lot for getting back to me.

i wish you well. E.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I don't want to take meds but that's the only thing that is helping at the mo, try thinking positive thoughts and don't ever give up hope ok.

Always here to talk 😊 take care x

• Posted

Wish u look love, its a tough world ourminds are powerfull xx

Did taking the propanolol make you not eat xxor was it before

• Posted

No it wasn't the propranolol, it was before then.

The Doctor gave me propranolol and Mirtazapine which helped me sleep and gave me my appetite back again.

Yes it's a tough world out there, and our minds are a very powerful thing, and I would love to feel normal again.

I wish you well, and I am always here to talk 😊

• Posted

Thanks for that . Sometimes family and friends are too close or too bored to listen! It's maybe not fair to say that! How can they understand if they've never experienced anxiety. Daft question but what's your problem? E.
    • Posted

I don't have a problem, just suffered anxiety and depression on and off for 20 years after my mum died.

And no one understands it until they have actually experienced it x

• Posted

Och it's a bitch eh? Would you say you,re better now?  I hope so! I've said for a long time that illness won't get me but anxiety will! E.
    • Posted

Good luck to you both x

I cant beleive how hard little things are, my mind plays overtime x

• Posted

I have a plaque on my wall that says

You are braver than you believe

Stronger than you seem

Smarter than you think

And loved much more than you know! 

If only my mind would accept this! I'm trying! E. 

This is is for you too Mary. 

• Posted

Thankyou,

Does anyone know if side effects last forever, i feel sick , dizzy and cant stomach food x

• Posted

Hi

I suffered very badly from September last year and lost over a stone in weight in 2 weeks which increased my anxiety.  I was skeptical of herbel remedies but was prepared to try anything and it worked a treat for me.  yes i still get the odd bad day but not very often. here is what I did:

STOPPED all caffeine and alcohol, i switched to decaf coffee and fruit tea

I used lemon balm capsules twice a day

drink plenty of camomile tea

Take 2 probiotic capsules everyday (diet really does effect anxiety)

For the panic attacks I use Rescue Remedy spray it is amazing but fingers crossed not needed it for mths now but its always in my handbag and I have some at the side of my bed

I hope this helps

Mel x

• Posted

Hope your ok hun xxxx

Ive been taking propranolol for 2 days, do the feeling sick go away xx arnt they meant to make me feel better ???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.