Does Mirtazapine really help anxiety disorders?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.

I suffer from a serious anxiety panic disorder, with agoraphobia, and my doctor has put me on Mirtazapine, for mabey 6 months now, 1st: 15mg then 30 , now 45.

My question is: Does mirtazapine really help anxiety Disorders? because, my doctor says that this is the correct medication to cure my problems.

It doesn't seem to cure my constant butterflys, worry etc.

The only thing that helps seems to be Lorazepam, and as i have also been taking one of these a day for 6 months also, my doctor has said i need to try and not take them anymore, and let the Mirtazapine, fix my issue.

I dont want to say im addicted to lorazepam, but if its the only thing that works, what else can i do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have somewhat similar situation. 45mg mirtazapine, anxiety disorder and agoraphobia. Seems like your doctor is right. Mirtazapine helps with anxiety, as I feel almost none at home. It can't stop it while I'm outside among the people, but it's diminished. In my opinion, Lorazepam everyday is not a good idea especially with combination with Mirtazapine. Butterflys and worry is more psychological problem which can't be really cured by any medication. I had the same problem most of my life. Try to write down what you feel (or anything), and find the articles (via google) that gives advice about the stuff you mostly worry about. That should give you some insights. Then mirtazapine should take care of all physical part of the problem. Good luck.
  • Posted

Yes.I was at rock bottom with anxiety. couldn't get out of bed. constant thoughts in my head. mirtazipane saved me. without doubt.
  • Posted

The only true answer to this is .....is it helping your anxiety? 

It,certainly does for some but I think 45 is a dose for depression and a lower dosage such as 15 is more for anxiety as the lower the dose on mirt the more sedation occurs. 

Thats just from my personal experience  and from reading posts. So you may actually be on to high a dose of mirt to take care of anxiety.

i wouldn't change dosage untill you speak with your doctor. The proof is in the pudding and if it isn't helping your anxiety then it's either the wrong medication or wrong dosage. I would think a medication like paxil would be more in line for anxiety. I would ask around this site about that particular medication as being a better alternative. For some it's lexapro. Sorry American brand names.

good luck best wishes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.