Does my boyfriend have bipolar?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I know this forum is for people with bipolar but i'm so confused that I hope no one minds me asking for advice from people who really know about this illness.?I'll try to be brief. Met my b/f at college , first real love , been together on and off for just under a year. He told all of us at the beginning that he had bipolar as from experience it was easier to do so. He also said his dad had bipolar with complications but didn't mention what they were and none of us felt we could ask at that point [still haven't don't feel its my business].Didnt know anything about the illness but started reading up  when he asked me out . Everything was fine at first but then out of the blue he finished with me,no explanation.But the next morning he texted me and continued to do so all weekend until back at college he asked me out again.This happened a further four times but each time I went back he became progressively more hurtful in what he said to me, accusing me of things he was actually guilty of himself. He ended things again as they didn't feel right he said.He went out with another girl which lasted a week before she finished things as ,in his words he had a major episode and took it out on her. That's the confusing thing; he only ever is episodal with me /girlfriends. He's always fine with everyone else. When I asked him about this he said he didn't know. I thought episodes affected everybody not just select people, have I got it wrong? There was a break and then he got in touch saying he loved me , was trying to sort himself out so we started going out again. But then I started to notice other things; at times his behaviour is childish, for one example ,he sat on a chair thumping the wall and when asked what he was doing he replied, "sulking".He also has to be the centre of attention all the time to the point where if anyone has anything to say he always has done something much wilder and more exciting.He did even say once ,"It was amazing to be the centre of attention, everyone listening to me . It was just brilliant."He also tells [I hesitate to say lies because he clearly believes them] stories; He's been mugged ,stabbed twice, knocked off his bike, attacked by a drunk, knocked unconscious and spent days in hospital,has allergies that leave him unconscious for two days that he forgets about til someone mentions it, has job offers abroad , has injuries that should require surgery but he never needs it and the latest one is a friend's body was found somewhere out in the wilds[ there have been no newspaper reports on this -i feel terrible for even checking up on him but i'll be honest, this one freaked me out a bit].When he talks about things he often repeats what has just been said to him and even says lines out of films and songs as though it were his own  conversation.Just recently he admitted he's never been officially diagnosed as bipolar and as far as i'm aware he's not on any medication [although he did say he stopped taking anti depressants as they didn't help]. So , my question is , is all this consistent with bipolar because I just don't know how to cope with this behaviour anymore. Bipolar is not a problem to me . I accept it as part of who he is and was prepared to stand by and support him but some of this stuff doesn't seem to match  all the info I've read and i'm now seriously confused and feeling very low myself. Can someone please help me understand better?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi ellie,

I'm not sure you're giving us right info ( then again, I'm not a doctor, I just have bipolar). Racin thoughts produce uncontrolable desire to speak without end (to me) and since I'm introvert, the moment I'm socializing while in mania I can't stop from making myself look like I want to be in center of attention, but actually I don't, I just can't shut my mouth. For example my sister still can t comprehand my illness and always saying to me how rude I am and never let her boyfriend say a word ahahahahah and I repeat over and over to her, that I got no control over that and that she's free to tell me to shut up whenever... Also during mania: drink too much, hiking for tens of miles, gambling, starting to have crushes on girls I normaly wouldn't (but then again , when am I normal), sometimies I get furious and agressive...

During depression I don't really care about anything except for dying. It's not like :"I'm depressed, I'm in bad mood..." this that winning... I just wish to curle up in some corner where no1 can see me and die. Once when I was depressed I wasn't answering my friends' calls for maybe 6th months,they were looking for me and I was doing everything to avoid them...

I feel nothing now, nothing,not a god damn thing, just trying to make piece with god before  I kill myself and no1 will stop me like last time, I came up with awsome plan which has no turning back and no salvation(this is bipolar mind).

Good luck, have fun, cry, it's pointless anyway so don't bother too much about this guy, my girl left me too smile.

• Posted

Not sure what you mean about right info- just describing my boyfriends behaviour. It worries me that someone with the illness finds it as bizarre as me. I do worry . I love him despite all the hurt he's inflicted but I just don't understand his illness although I'm desperately trying too.im sorry you are having an awful time I wish I could help but I'm making a bad job of supporting my own lad. Please find someone - you're sister?-to help you. There must always be hope surely?
    • Posted

I just can't be sure about your dear's condition... well... then I tried to explain how's to be bipolar threw  my example. It just sucks - that's how it is.

Honest conversation is good way to be supportive, you just have to be sure that there's nothing you do that triggers his depression...

Sometimes I...noone near me ever understood me...I had noone to watch my back ever and I've been suffering for over 20 years now.

I think that you could workout anything with your boyfriend if you love each other, but only if  you completely acknowledge his condition and he recognizes your support; my girl never understood and I don't blame her.

Thank you for kind words and I wish you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.