Does Prolactin tumours cause joint problems?

Posted , 3 users are following.

In 2007, I was diagnosed with a Prolactin tumour. It was cured in 2013. In 2014, the symptons came back. I went for a brain scan in March, but I have to wait until the end of Sept for results? 

In Feb 2013, I suffered from knee pain in both knees which gradually got worse. By November 2014, it was too painful to walk. I have been for an MRI scan but it showed nothing (but it did find Osteoarthritis in the hip). I tend to get burning in my knees, which makes it hard to walk (and if I do walk, then a night it really burns). I have minor aches in my other joints. 

My GP says the tumor (which hasn't be confirmed) is causing the joint problems. I also get vibrations in the foot occasionally (you can see the skin ripple), so he says it's all the tumor sending wrong signals. 

Is this ture?  never had muscle pains the first time I had the tumor. Plus, I've been looking on the internet and it says that muscle pains are caused by different tumors (Acromegaly & Cushing's disease) and I don't have any of the symptoms associated with those tumors.

Thanks for any help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear about the disturbing symptoms you are having to put up with.

has your doctor tested your level of vitamin D ? if low then that can be linked to bone/joint pain.

am confused as to why the brain scan results are  taking so long to come out. is this becasue you are not due to see the endocrinologist until then? the scan itself is usually available straight away and it is the interpretation that takes the time. your GP could write to the endocrinologist and request the results in advance.

i'm not sure about the effects of prolactinomas, presumably you have already looked on the website of the pituitary foundation?

good luck with it all

• Posted

I can't discern if you are male or female.  Excess prolactin reduces the effectiveness of oestrogen therefore giving you menopause symptoms, including reduced calcium, which could explain the joint and muscle pains.  It also seems to reduce testosterone effectiveness if you are male - resulting in same problems.

If you are no longer taking Cabergoline or equivalent, then you will probably need extra hormones and calcium supplements.  Vit D test is a good idea - Vit D3 forte drops more effective than tablets.

Sometimes with Pit gland damage, more than one hormone can be affected.  Worth having a follow up test of all pit gland hormones.  Also have your ferritin iron levels checked.

Your gp should have been copied the scan results, if not, your gp can ask for a copy of them, as dambudzo says.

Also talk to the helpline of the Pituitary Foundation.

• Posted

You must be referred by your Doctor to a endocrinologist and Neurologist.

You must insist that you have an MRI done immediately.

Only by being firm and dictatating what you want will you get results .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.