Does snow trigger your symptoms?

Posted , 3 users are following.

We just had our second major snow of the year and I woke up in a major flare. My fingers are swollen, my knees and feet are killing me and my jaw hurts. I remember the last time it snowed, something similar happened. Has anyone else had this happen?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Pami,yes the cold has a huge effect on ra.My husband has a hard case of it

and we talked to our rheum about weather.He said yes it can for many.

Everyone is different in how they carry these auto immunes.My suggestion

is layer your clothing.Avoid getting the slightest of chills.Keep as much stress

out of your life as you can especially in winter.Sorry to hear your in such a flare.

Hope it eases up.If you have a heating pad they are wonderful for pain.

Gentle hugs,Tory

• Posted

I just came back from a month in Florida and I've never felt better. I felt so normal. Back in Illinois for a week and I still feel good. I'm thinking maybe it's because of the sunlight Vitamin D I got?? Waiting for symptoms to reappear since we got a little snow yesterday. 

• Posted

Hi Molly,vitamin d is what we need when we have auto immune

diseases.I have fibro and have to take vit d3 3,000 units a day.

My husband takes 50,000 each week.He also has to take all

the ra drugs.So that's great you got to be in Florida for a month.

Wish I could smile Of course anything can trigger a flare.Are you

being more active after being in Florida? Hope you recover

quickly

• Posted

I try to get exercise on my gazelle here at home. In a Florida I took walks every day. No one told me to take vitamin D. I read it somewhere. My doc just wanted to put me on meds but I really don't have ra symptoms yet. I have a high RF. My complaint was my hip when they took the blood test. I had a hip replacement since. My hands sometimes swell upon waking and hurt when it's cold out. Other than that I feel fine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.