does taking melatonin work.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am wondering if anyone out there could give me any feedback on this.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi patrickz 42141, I have starting taking melatonin for sleeping at night, it does help me sleep however my issues was dreaming and nightmares and this has not helped me out any in that area. I do sleep and wake up feeling much better but I still have the bad dreams and vivid dreaming issue. I hope this helps you some, its definatley worth a try. Good Luck and best wishes!!!
    • Posted

Many thanks.

My issue is only just started. I am the 1 in a million that suffered massive side effects from anti biotics for a dental problem. When I get to sleep I do stay asleep. I run out sleeping tablets next week and need to be prepared.

• Posted

hi Patrick. yes, i have tried melatonin with varying degrees of success. when i first used it, it worked a treat. however, as my insomnia (circadian rhythm disruption) became more marked (tru stress) and more entrenched tru time, it doesn't help now. i don't think it's a case of diminished returns with use for me, more not strong enough to knock the entrenched insomnia on the head.....no pun intended....?? from speaking to other users, and my own use, it seems to vary in efficacy from manufacturer to manufacturer. and of course everybody responds differently. btw, i started off with 3 mgs & went up to 9 mgs with no adverse effects. Caitlin
    • Posted

p.s. someone, has just mentioned dreams on melatonin. i had lots of v. plesant. all exceptionally pleasant, no nightmares just incredibly pleasant dreams. they were mostly to do with travel. if i believed in 'previous lives', i'd say melatonin acted a medium of connecting up with those 'happy' lives.
    • Posted

Many thanks

My issues are more recent. I was massively allergic to some anti biotics for mouth abcess. My problem is vetting to sleep not staying asleep. I am hoping this us a short term issue. I need to be on the ball in my job. Did you get the melononine from your doctors

Many thanks again

Pat

• Posted

no, i don't think it's on the GP 'prescription' list. it's available OTC @ health food stores and other outlets, including the internet. it's application is to help with getting the normal circadian rhythm back.
  • Posted

I think individual results vary quite a lot, but it worked okay for me. It put me to sleep very reliably, but I didn't stay asleep. However, my insomnia issue has been frequent wakenings; for sleep onset issues, maybe melotonin is more effective.
    • Posted

I have been given advise that it can be bought over the counter do you imf this is correct.

Many thank

Pat

• Posted

hi Patrick. i've just phoned Holland & Barrett & GNC (if u live in the UK ) & unfortunately, due to regulation change (circa 3 yrs ago) it's not possible to get it OTC anymore. i used to get mine's from H & B some time ago. if u google it, u'll get a list of suppliers.

Caitlin

• Posted

Good evening Caitlin

Yes that's what out as well. Did you speak to your doctor before you tried it. What dosage did you start with.

Many thanks

Pat

• Posted

I personally didn't find that it helped me. I took melatonin for around a month after being prescribed it by the doctors. I think if you have severee sleeping issues like myself then it's not really strong enough depending on the situation of course.

Plus side though is that if it works for you it's great as it's not like sleeping tablets

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.