Does the symptoms still accure

Posted , 7 users are following.

Do you still get the symptoms even though going through menopause do you still get the symptoms of having a period

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Monique,

I did, when mine started missing here and there I was always expecting one because I had all the symptoms back ache full breasts etc.

I had them for about 18 months after my last period.

• Posted

YES!    And its not uncommon.  I would never have known about it without this discussion group. 

• Posted

Hi

Yes i still get the odd tenderness around boobs, and cramping pains, around the front and in my back, but without the period itself. 

• Posted

I do, I have not had a period in years but still get most of the symptoms.
    • Posted

Are your symptoms as bad as when you were peri though?? mine arent now im post, but ive been on it for nearly 10 years now, thats bad if yours are still strong now your post, if so, how long have you been on the menopause now??
    • Posted

My symptoms are much worse now, I am in peri.  I have not had a period in 16 years. I am in perimenopause according to the labs, it started about a year ago. 
    • Posted

Hi Lennie

OMG............you poor bugger, its like your periods stopped first! and then you went into peri,and only a year ago,  thats why your symptoms are so bad, because your in peri, well if your periods have stopped, how you gonna know when your post?? did you go through some sought of shock for your periods to stop when they did?? or, did you have an op of some sought??

• Posted

I was wondering why it is SOOOO bad, its horrible. I had a partial hysterectomy because I had numerous fibroid tumors which run in my family.  So, I have not had a period in years. The only reason I knew I was in peri because my breast hurt all the time, I had hot flashes, and I had severe anxiety. By the way, I still have all of this but more, with joint pain and swelling.,
    • Posted

ahh makes sense now, just keep my fingers crossed for you, that your one of the lucky ones, who isnt on it for very long, because i was on peri for 8 long years, tried all soughts, doesnt mean this is you or, anyone else though, i think mine took longer because i was on a 6 weeks cycle, i had a period change every two years,  until i stopped one year ago, and every time i had a change, which was, 3 period changes over 6 years, trust me to get it long and slow, my symptoms got worse and worse, with each change, until i thought, dont think i can take another one like this, not without seriously going mad, for me the depression was the worst, then anxiety, think about it girls, if, you had pmt, depression, etc, immediately before your periods started in the past, however slight, then what you get immediately before your period is due during peri, is a worsening of those symptoms, but for us lennie, our periods stopping, mark the end of that, symptoms continue, but much milder, and more balanced like before, but the heat comes on more, due to decline now, but should also setttle, for how long is up to our bodies again, but during peri we get too many hormones, causing inbalance to happen with other hormones, progesterone, and testosterone.  Unfortunately  it CAN get worse before it gets better, but it WILL get better, and if it doesnt, resort to HRT if you feel you have too, i was lucky in that, i didnt have my symptoms 24/7, makes me think in your case, you may not be on it as long with having your symptoms non stop, this is what i hope for you anyway, and for us all.

Yes, i have fibroids, one has calcified so no problem now, one has shrunk, but the last one, became necrotic two years into peri, didnt need hystercetomy as it settled on its own thankfully, but it was being in peri which made it grow rapidly, as hormones are its food, so you get rapid growth during peri, then after decline  fingers crossed, they shrink becausehormones are their food, and they now have no food supply, mine thankfully have, just depends on how much oestrogen you lose, another pain in the butt.

We all need to be drs dont we to keep up with whats going on, it affects so many systems, creating 100s of symptoms, my gp a complete waste of time, and shes a woman, cant wait until she goes on, then she might show a little bit of understanding then,. 

• Posted

Absolutely,

Elaine, one wonders why so many in the medical community are ignorant regarding this, I am sure there are a few doctors who know but the ones I have gone to seemed a little clueless, to be honest. I feel that because I did not have the periods and the gradual decline, because my periods have been gone for a long time, it just hit, and man did it hit, I did not expect the joint pain and breast swelling, soreness, IU did not expect to have panic attacks, and to have intense anxiety and the emotional upheaval. I feel sad, angry, depressed, and frustrated at least 4-5 times a day. I will not go on the HRTs even if its gets miserable because I worry too much about cancer. I am overweight/obese and losing weight is like running uphill with one leg. That's another frustrating aspect to this, being diabetic is also another challenge and then add this to that, its overwhelming. 

• Posted

Yes agree lennie, it think with some drs its pure arrogance!! dont like being told, even if it is us who is going through it, it is our bodies afterall, we know our own minds at our age, we know what were capable of, and how we feel physically inside, so, trust us for a change.

No i didnt expect things to be as debilitating as it can be, very hard to accept that hormones can do all this, and it does cause all those emotional feelings as well, maybe because they use to call it the change thats it, we change, because sometimes i dont feel me anymore, and i think its that that bothers me the most, and im determined  not to let it win on that.

No i cant have the HRT, but if there was no cancer in the family, i would have seriously considered it in the early days, dont feel i need it now, but then you hear stories, that some women actually go worse on it, does put you off, so, perferred to stick with alternatives, and lifestyle changes, but, if anyone is really bad, hasnt cancer in the family, and just does it as a last resort, then dont suffer take it.

I also have a health problem, and yes it does make it more challenging, and the menopause has definately made that worse in me, so, then you have to put that right as well.

I think your right about how its happening to you as well, with not having the periods, then it hit hard, it has too ease lennie, i was exactly like that in the begining, and it lasted around 5/6 years, but where ive been lucky is, the debilitating sides,  only happened during period change, which is why yours is different. makes me think thjough. because of how severe it is, and how long your having your flares, my hope is for you,  you wont be on it as long, i sense thats how your thinking,  so make sure you let us know, good luck.   

• Posted

Yes most of us have our period if you have been period free one year then you are in menopause perimenopause is terrible the symptoms are debilitating
    • Posted

Hi Misty,

Not much about mine changed even after 2 years period free. If anything some of the symptoms that would come and go during peri came and stayed after they stopped.

• Posted

How long have you been on the menopause? what year did you start it?? once your post a year later, your symptoms should ease, but you should still get hot flushes or, warmth the same, but even this should ease at some point down the line, but, wondering, if you finish your periods early in menopause, your symptoms may continue for a long time afterwards, from reading some of the comments on the forum, that seems to be the pattern, i could be wrong, however, a friend of mine was told by her gp, that some women are on menopause for life, you should think about HRT in that case if you feel this could be you!
    • Posted

I started with sleep and depression in 2005. Both have remained and not really changed until depression began to lift a few weeks into HRT.

Then awful queasy feeling a day here and there in the 2006/7. Everything I looked at or cooked made me feel sick. For a few years I was eating only because you have to and didn't enjoy any of it often wishing I didn't have to.

This was also around the time I'd get a horrible taste and to begin with it was a few days here and there then worsening until I was going crazy with it. I'd always hated peppermints but at its worst I was getting through 2 to 3 packets of extra strong a day.

Then a lethargic feeling like I was coming down with the flu again on and off but became more often. I was tested for all sorts and was low b12. The injections made a little difference whilst I was having them, but as soon as my levels were normal they stopped giving me them.

I put the tiredness down to lack of quality sleep. I stopped exercising and at my worst I was pulling myself up the stairs using the banister. When I was hovering I'd do one room then have to sit and get over it before the next. I also started sitting down to peel veg etc.

The worst experience of this (crashing fatigue) was about a year after my periods stopped.

I went shopping with my husband and all I wanted to do was sit down and spent the whole time convincing him we needed another cuppa in cafes and walking around I was eyeing up the next bench so I could sit down.

2004 was my last period.

Things in hindsight had slightly improved going up stairs was easier and the bad taste although still present had gone from horrible nasty to a somewhat lemony taste and I was having to eat peppermint a lot less.

I had also gone back to eating and drinking a few things that I had given up because they made me feel sick.

So I could enjoy 2 or 3 coffees a day (I would have had maybe 6 before) and eggs I went several years without having one the smell of them made me feel sick like certain things when I was pregnant.

Feeling hot was occasional then became all the time I think worse after meno and anxiety was the same almost a permanent daily thing.

I had been convinced by doctors that it was all to do with my depression, I had tried loads of different Meds for it yet within a week of HRT it was lifting.

I was really worried about trying HRT even then I had to ask to be put on it. I wish I'd known about it and tried it earlier.

It has possible side effects (I did my research and asked for what seems to be the safest plant based HRT).

All the different Meds I've tried have had a scary list of side effects, I tried each one they offered but none did half of what the HRT achieved in the first few weeks.

My periods stopped at 52.

• Posted

Hi

Yes i had the crashing fatigue, its crippling isnt it, never felt anything like it, i went to the chronic fatigue clinic and they taught me pacing techniques, which you sound like your doing, stay off all caffine drinks though, only decaf coffee and tea dyuring flares, no what you mean about changing tastes, and certain foods making you feel sick, but wasnt a main symptom for me, but had it yes.

being in menopause, the hot flushes do get stronger, due to the decline in hormones, but should ease after another few years, cant say my anxiety levels have stayed up as they havent, but yes, HRT can be scary to go on, and just the relief must have been great for you to finally get that, i cant have it im afraid as there is cancer in the immediate family, caused by menopause, whether there is a safer one for me, i dont know!! glad things have got better for you since then. 

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

I did a lot of research was given horse urine HRT in the beginning which I threw straight in the bin. Plant based are suppose to be safer. I was looking at menopause matters site on Facebook the other day and read an article saying plant based are not thought to cause it.

Horse urine ones were the ones used in the trials that bought about the cancer scares.

The problem pharmaceutical companies have with plant based is that they cannot patent the actual products as the estrogen used is estradiol which is identical to ours and you cannot patent a natural product (I think they get patents on the delivery system instead ) so there is not as much money to be made from it.

• Posted

Hi zigangie

Never knew that, thats very interesting, that says it all doesnt it, its all about money, isnt that everything in life now, what has this world come too,sometimes money is a curse isnt it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.