Does the Venlafaxine side effects go away?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just started Venlafaxine last week for vertigo and depression, and I am soooo tired. I'm constantly yawning and even needing to lie down every few hours. It;s like I can't stay awake or alert. I'm on 37.5 every evening and after a week my doc wants me to take the same dose in the morning too. Do these strange side effects pass? Is there a best time to take it? Many thanks.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It will take upto 6 weeks to take full effect but the side effects should pass within another week or 2. Just remember things may get worse before they get better. And try not to go 2 a high dose as this drug is hell to withdraw from. What I'm experiencing I wouldn't wish on anyone.
    • Posted

thank you. I'm currently dozing off every few hours. Good luck with your detox x
    • Posted

i hate this drug thinking about going cold turkeyi guess that will be awful but had enough now!
  • Posted

Venlafaxine does not stay in your body very long (half-life about 11 hours) so if you are taking the non-controlled release tablet form once a day you are probably experiencing the effects of it arriving and leaving your body very quickly. I find I can never get on with it unless I am taking the same dose morning and evening for this reason. 37.5mg once a day is not a thereputic dose, so you might want to ask your gp to let you take 37.5mg twice a day to avoid this sleepiness or to take the controlled  release form once a day, but I think they start at 75mg.

• Posted

Hi. As others have said this drug is hell to get off so don't go on too higher dose.

The side effects will wear off eventuaĺly although i'm going through them all again coming off. After 5 years of being on it i was told yesterday that its best taken with a meal.

Actually my advice to you is go back to your GP and see if you can have something. They have no idea what they're prescribing.

Ian

• Posted

Wow Ian it's for Vesitbular Migraine and 2 other drugs already haven't worked or been tolerable, so rock and hard place. Hopefully it'll stay lowish dose as the anti-depressant effect is just a welcome side effect. I will make sure I eat with it. Many thanks.
  • Posted

Hi mudskipa, I was on antidepressants for 12 months, I ended up on Venfalaxine,after being on 4 others before this. Apart from Prozac, the symptoms of Ven were horrendous,I was on them for 6 weeks.Started on 37.5 mgs in the morning for a week then increased to twice a day. I can say hand on heart, that I never felt any benefits whatsoever.Just the "Common" side effects Increased anxiety and depression,insomnia,nausea,lack of appetite, and some mornings practically having to drag myself out of bed.Some of the worst weeks of my life. Went back to my GP and told him I wanted to come off.He agreed with me and told me to take one that night then the next morning and stop. I double checked this with the pharmacist as I was terrified that withdrawal symtoms might send me over the top, but he assured me that it was such a small dose I would be fine.I followed instructions and I can say hand on heart apart from a coup,e of minor symtoms I didn't have any problems. To date I have never felt better in r in a very long time and he'll would freeze over before I would go back on any anti depressants, one of the worst years of my life. I am now paying for counselling privately with a marvellous charity in New Brighton Merseyside counselling. Would thoroughly  recommend them,and as they are a charity you pay what you can afford. I fell better now than I have done in a long time. Sorry I have gone on a bit ,but there is life after Ven. I wish you all the very best, take heart you will get there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.