Does the weather effect your frozen shoulder??

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone I've posted on this before the dreaded frozen shoulder....two weeks ago I had an hydraulition injection which has given me greater movement and reduced the pain.its still pretty frozen though, we've had some glorious weather and I've been out in the sunshine pottering in the garden as much as I can.

Today the weather has changed its damp cold and rainy, my arm shoulder is aching like mad I'm in agony, must be enflamed inside and pressing on a nerve as have a pain running down to wrist on inside of arm along with aching top of arm and back shoulder blade.aaargh!,, I've been doing so well after this injection, feeling a bit dispondant at present.

does the weather effect any of you other frozen shoulder sufferers?.

if so any tips?

thankyou

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

yes Sara. the weather affects my FS measurably. in fact, i know, by the pain intensity, when a low pressure (muggy/damp/wet) spell is coming in before the weather station forecasts it. like u my pain is worse to-day. the last few days were really good with the high pressure & sunshine.

Caitlin.

• Posted

Hi Caitlin,

i wonder why the pain intensifies with weather? How long have you had your FS ? What treatment have you had?

does this mean that this will always be the case or will it go when FS decides to go???? Aaaargh questions questions!!!! It's so frustrating all this its my left arm and I'm left handed I do a lot of physical stuff gardening my job is physical too this is so debilitating...... Sorry I'm moaning now. 😊

• Posted

hi Sara. gosh, it's a double wammy having the dominant hand/shoulder affected. what a nuisance. r u on adeqaute pain relief/treatment?

i'll try to answer ur question/s with some 'cut & paste' comments from peer reviewed medical journals. i'm not aware of any 'double blind trials' (the gold standard of research that ends up being called 'evidence based medicine') completed on this subject of weather affecting pain. therefore, the information availabe is mostly considered 'anecdoctal'.

one of these studies comesfrom a considerable sized cohort of 557 participants. it was conducted by Prof. Jamison from information collected (questionnaires) from 4 pain clinics in the US. the clinic locations were selected because of their varying climates. Jamison's and other studies suggest that changes in weather pressure has an affect on inflammatory type conditions.

Jamison says, "This leads me to conclude that changes in barometric pressure are the main link between weather and pain. Low pressure is generally associated with cold, wet weather and an increase in pain. Clear, dry conditions signal high pressure and a decrease in pain." (Harvard University Gazette, Sept 26. 1995)

Barometric pressure is the weight of the atmosphere that surrounds us. Barometric pressure often drops before bad weather sets in. This lower air pressure pushes less against the body, allowing tissues to expand -- and those expanded tissues can put pressure on the joint. "It's very microscopic and we can hardly notice, except that we have these sensations.

Furthermore, when people have chronic pain, sometimes nerves can become more sensitized because of injury, inflammation, scarring, or adhesions, he says.Remarkably one medical description for fibromyalgia (rheumatic muscle pain) includes weather-related pain as a diagnostic feature (Younis et al. 1985).

hope that's helpful Sara.

Caitlin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.