does this injury need surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i read somewhere on this site that an injury on the achilles tendon heals 6 months with rest & proper treatment(& if it hasn't healed surgery is required) but since i haven't being quite resting & neither can i say have had proper treatment during the period after my injury,so is it possible for it to heal without surgery?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

2 options; surgury or conservative treatment. The latter involes a boot or a cast for a month, no weight on the foot, followed by another month of gradual return to mobility under the care of a consultant. It doesnt just get better by itself

• Posted

Tendon rupture. Partial rupture was my issue, can't speak for a full rupture. I had tendonitis for 6 months before the rupture, and I tried various treatments from the doctor and from physio. Ice packs, exercises, nitro patches, supports for the foot. None really sorted it until I got a partial rupture.. not connected, but as soon as the immediate pain of the rupture went away (5 minutes) the tendonitis pain went away and has not retuirned so far. But its not a cure I'd recomend!

• Posted

I have suffered on and off for 3years with tendonits of my left achilles , and this last 6/7 months has been the worst ever , constant pain at heel and about an inch above it ,

I am undergoing physio which is making matters a 100 times worse and my gp loves squeezing my calf then wiggling the tendon from side to side which hurts like a bitch , and keeps giving my ketoprofen gel which does didlysquat,

Im wondering how long i will need to undergo this torture of physio

• Posted

Can't offer much more advice, other than the NHS website has a pretty good sumary.. google "tendonitis recover". I didnt have steroid injections, but I suspect the tendon was weakened after a good 6 months of problems. I ruptured it after stumbling while walking across a field, and recovered by putting a stress on the foot. No more tendonitis, but its taken over a year to get back 90% strength in the calf muscle.

• Posted

5 minutes of pain! You're a lucky man. Mine lasted 45 minutes on a full rupture. I continued to walk on it for 2 days before self diagnosing and going to see a Dr. I was so hoping for simple sprain or torn muscle.
    • Posted

Its a very variable injury.. I drove home using my heel to do the clutch, but no pain through the whole processSelf diagnosed too.. isnt the internet wonderful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.