Does this mean i'm having surgery soon?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, 

I had my ultrasound scan on the sunday just gone and they told me i have a 3cm gallstone and its inflamed. They said i will need my gallbladder out.

Now, i've just had a letter through the post for an appointment at the General and Colorectal Surgery. Is this sort of like a pre-op consultation/discussusion of near surgery or will it just be like an informal chat about options or something else? (i havent a clue!)

It going so quick im very surprised! Any info will be really appreciated!

Thank you xx

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Im in the US, but the way it worked for me is that my GI suggested I have it out and they referred me to a surgeon. My first appointment (and honestly only appointment before surgery) with the surgeon was just him going over my paper work, donig a little exam and agreeing with the GI's diagnosis. No going over the procedure, just explaining the risks and potential complications. No signing paperwork at that time. After talking to him, I scheduled a tentative surgery date with a secretary. They then get everything approved by insurance and set a hard date, and called me back with the surgery date and the pre-op date. Less than a week later, I was doing pre-op where they take all your vitals and get all of your information (drugs you're on, allergies, etc.) and explain the surgery to you. Three days later I was having surgery.

Again - this was in the US so things went fast and don't necessarily happen the same in the UK. I've heard of people getting a surgery date MONTHS out and having it be pushed over and over again. I think if you have good/private insurance it's much easier/faster.

I would think that this appointment you're scheduled for is more of an informal chat about options, and if he strongly believes you need surgery you might tentatively schedule a date at the appointment.

• Posted

i was the same as you. I had the same appointment very soon after the ultra sound. That was to see the consultant to discuss the operation. Well that was 7 months ago and i have the operation tomorrow. 3 December. You may not to have to wait that long but i think it will be an informal chat to explain all about it and if you have any questions. Hope you get on ok. Jill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.