Does this seem legit? It didn't to me and I switched doctors as a result!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Orthostatic Hypotension recently and it is rather severe. My doctor tried to prescribe statins, stating I was at a high risk for stroke. My cholesterol couldn't be better, so I do not understand why she would prescribe a statin? It just seems to me that it would be extremely dangerous for me to take since I have fallen and injured myself several times this year due to passing out from low blood pressure. Am I wrong for thinking this was some horrible mistake my doctor made?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your mistake was in not discussing it with your doctor instead of storming off.

Statins would not lower your BP more. What are you doing to remedy it?

There are many simple steps to managing or preventing orthostatic hypotension including:

Use more salt in your diet. This must be done with care, and only after discussing it with your doctor. Too much salt can cause your blood pressure to increase beyond a healthy level, creating new health risks.

Eat small meals. If your blood pressure drops after eating, your doctor may recommend small, low-carbohydrate meals.

Get plenty of fluids. Keeping hydrated helps prevent symptoms of low blood pressure. But avoid or limit the amount of alcohol you drink, because alcohol can worsen orthostatic hypotension.

Exercise your calf muscles before sitting up. Also, when getting out of bed, sit on the edge of your bed for a minute before standing. Exercise regularly may help reduce symptoms of orthostatic hypotension.

Avoid bending at the waist. If you drop something on the floor, squat with your knees to recover it.

Wear compression stockings or abdominal binders. These may help reduce the symptoms of orthostatic hypotension.

Get up slowly. You may be able to reduce the dizziness and lightheadedness that occur with orthostatic hypotension by taking it easy when you move from a lying to standing position. Instead of jumping out of bed in the morning, breathe deeply for a few minutes and then slowly sit up before standing.

Elevate your head in bed. Sleeping with the head of your bed slightly elevated can help fight the effects of gravity.

Move your legs while standing. If you begin to get symptoms while standing, cross your thighs in a scissors fashion and squeeze, or put one foot on a ledge or chair and lean as far forward as possible. These maneuvers encourage blood to flow from your legs to your heart.

What tests have you had to try to find an underlying cause as it is a symptom of many illnesses? Did she suggest a tilt table test to evaluate how your body reacts to changes in position. During the test, you lie on a table that begins flat and then tilts to raise the upper part of your body, which simulates the movement from a horizontal to standing position. Your blood pressure is taken frequently as the table is tilted.

Better luck with your new doctor.

• Posted

Hi Bekki-egg - No! You are not wrong for thinking. It is the right thing to do. Horrible? Yes. Statins are just that and there is no evidence that they will prevent heart attacks or strokes. There is sufficient evidence that they cause serious damage in some people including weight gain, liver problems, type 2 diabetes, rhabdomyelosis (irreversible muscle wasting disease), and the list goes on.  Mistake? No. The doctor didn't make a mistake. He/She knew exactly what he/she was doing. The proliferation of statins are not just the fault of the pharmas. They need doctors  to spread their word.

If your cholesterol is fine then leave it be. If it's not, diet and exercise will help modulate it. Oh and you can eat eggs for brekky without fear. Good luck.

• Posted

If your cholesterol is ok then I would avoid statin. If fact, I would not ever take statin again. I was prescribed statin about 2 years ago and have suffered a damaged achilles tendon, tight hamstrings, sore knees and stiff neck. It has destroyed my enjoyment of marathon walking!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.