Does this sound like hyperthyroidism. PLEASE HELP.

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, I'm Christian. I'm 19, All of my life I've been outgoing and extremely athletic. I've always been adventurous and never worried or anything. However, when I was 17 I started out having palpitations (like my heart skips a beat) and I have developed terrible anxiety and panic attacks. Because of this, I had to drop out of college about 2 months in to my second semester and I was on a full academic ride and trying to walk on to play soccer. I'm now to the point that I can't even leave my apartment. I constantly feel like I'm dying. I feel like because of the palps I have a heart condition. I have to keep it about 65 degrees in my apartment because if I get hot I freak out and panic. I live in the south so it's hot, and I can't go outside in the heat or I panic. I eat so much at one time that I make myself sick but then I'm still hungry. But I don't really gain weight or anything. It's been over a year since I've been able to actually live my life. I've been treated with medicine for the anxiety but it didn't work. The palpitations terrify me and make the anxiety so much worse. My sleep schedule is so off and some days I can't sleep and some days all I do is sleep. I barely ever feel like I have energy. My doctor wants to check the thyroid. Does this sound like hyperthyroidism? I'm running out of options and I don't know how much longer I can do this. I can't even live my life and I'm severely depressed. I just want to live my life and be happy again.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christian

The low energy, depression, sleep disorder and palpitations do present in hyperthyroidism..but they can also present in other illnesses such as diabetes. You probably need full blood work done on everything that can be diagnosed via a blood test. When having your blood test for Hthyroidism request that you have blood tests for glucose levels, kidney and liver function..and also an ECG on your heart.....I think you need a good overhaul to get to the bottom of why you are presenting with your symptoms....hope you get answers soon..best wishes..

• Posted

Hi Christian

Sounds bery much like my symptoms before I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.

My doctor did check for diabetes and did a full bloods test to eliminate kidney and liver problems as well..all well in that respect.

I have to say I was 'Eating for England' and losing weight at the same time as not sleeping, suffering from the heat, having palpitations and getting vey anxious. My bowel and bladder were overworking too.  As soon as the thyroid tests came back - hyperactive - I was given medication and felt so much better within a month.

• Posted

I'm really hoping this is what I have so I can get it dealt with, now that you have the medicine and everything you're able to fully live life again?
    • Posted

This is really giving me hope. I've had every heart test there is done because I thought the palps were a heart condition which made the anxiety so much worse. They've never found anything wrong with my heart and my heart doctor even got mad when I wanted to repeat tests
  • Posted

Hi Christian

If your doctor wants to check the thyroid, let him. 

I have virtually returned to 'normal' as far as my thyroid is concerned. I am forty years older than you, so my 'normal' is for me !

good luck

Vicky

• Posted

Hi Christian,  I'd agree with what vicky has posted- but I'd just add that although it sounds like over active thyroid, it also sounds to me like you are deficient in magnesium.  I'd recommend you check this out online, as the palpitations and anxiousness are both symptoms. This is a vital mineral and you can't overdose on it (unless you have a kidney problem) as any your body doesnt need goes to your bladder. It will also help you fall asleep naturally.   Many on this site are also taking L carnetine supplements which also really help.  Try not to worry if you are hyperthyroid. This can balance itself in time, and with a healthy diet.  Cut out all 'diet' drinks and fake sugars as these make your immune system worse not better.  If you find you are still anxious about going outside, you could look into integrating your fear paralysis and moro reflexes- there are simple movement exercises for this online. Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

I'd also add that if you havent been out in the sun for a while, you are probably also Vit D deficient.  :-)
  • Posted

Hi Christian,

I also started to experience symptoms like yours when i was 17 - it scared the hell out of me and made me get incresingly anxious. I'm nearly 19 now and i'm trying to get a diagnosis. I really want a normal life again as well. Let your doctor check your thyroid - your lucky they offered, i expressed concerns to mine and they wouldn't even offer the tests. Good luck and let me know how it goessmile Get better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.