Does this sound like migraines?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I think I may be having a migraine, but when I look up the symptoms, I'm not sure if it really fits.

It started yesterday with some light sensitivity. Then it became eye pain. I had some neck pain and stiffness for a couple of days before. I've never seen any flashing lights or had loss of vision.

The headache spread behind my eyes to the back of my head. More on the left than right. I had nausea but no vomiting. I felt cold and a bit dizzy. I took ibuprofen but it didn't help. About 2 hours later I took sumatriptan before bed.

By the morning the headache was gone. I didn't feel hungover or overly tired. However tonight, about 24 hours later, the headache and pain behind my left eye and light sensitivity started again. Does this sound like a migraine? Would it be normal for a migraine to stop and them start again the next day?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Migraines can often come back within 24h. You will need a Dr to officially diagnose migraines, however those symptoms can be both of a migraine and severe headache. The fact it goes to the back of your neck has me leaving towards migraine though.
    • Posted

Sounds like migraine to me.I have same symptoms where pain primarily behind either eye but in the morning does start with stiff neck and fuzzy head.

I find it impossible to sleep and rarely do tablets work.If desperate i do go to doctors and am currently on rampiril although this is for high blood pressure also.

Got properly diagnosed 15years ago for what it was worth.In my opinion doctors don't take my pain seriously,only happy when writing out prescriptions.Never offered any alternative therapies.

I hope yours doesn't turn out to be migraine.

Best wishes,rich.

• Posted

The medications they have for migraines are questionable at best. That I fully agree with. They had me on topamax for the longest time. Actually I've been on so many different medications for migraines it's sickening. Imitrex being the worst by far, but only because I found out I was allergic to it after injecting myself. What I do for my migraines now is complete darkness, ice and warm baths. Sounds odd, but the warm\hot bath relaxes the body and the ice on the neck, and covering the eyes seemed to actually work for me. Plus, being pregnant and having genetic mutations and being unableg to metabolize many options, it's also my only option. I truly hope y'all can find relief. Migraines are terrible.

• Posted

I've come to learn many doctors do not take patients seriously when it comes to pain. Especially younger patients. I broke my back at 19 years old in the navy and it took 5 1/2 years before a Dr decided I needed to have emergency surgery to remove the bone fragments floating along my spine.

• Posted

This sounds like migraine to me, without aura. Migraine can last several days or more. Check your diet carefully to determine what may have triggered it. Stress is a huge factor as are hormonal fluctuations. Get an absorbable form of magnesium such as magnesium glycinate or malate and start taking it. Drink plenty of water and try to relax. Mine usually start off with neck pain too. Try some ginger tea or gingerale for the nausea. You don't have to pop all kinds of meds. I prefer the natural approach - less side effects and better results. Take care of yourself and keep us posted. 

Pattie 

• Posted

Hi

It is never fun with a migraine, i have had one on and off since Sunday. Sunday slept for an hour it had eased but not gone, woke up monday again it was back, had a early night and it has not gone at all yet. i have a feeling of a heavy dullness in my head now. so yes it is possible to get rid of it and for it to return.

I get light sensitivity, pain across my eyes, feeling cold, dizzy everything. i find that the tescos migraine tablets work quite well. i have tried triptans but they are not working for me.sometimes a dark room and sleep is the only cure for me to get rid of a migraine.

Take care, hope you feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.