Does this sound like sciatica? Plz

Posted , 4 users are following.

i started power walking and after a few days my calf muscles were really badly stretched and I could hardly walk up the stairs, this went away and a few days later I started getting this lower back dull painful ache which made bending down painful, then the pain moved into my buttocks and hips and down my legs, it's terrible sitting down and feels like a tingling throbbing ache in my buttocks and legs, I'm fine walking about and don't feel it as much but when I sit down or stand for too long it's painful. I sometimes also get a electric style shock down my leg and then sometimes down the other leg, saw my doctor who said its not sciatica just classic back pain. Any thoughts? Thanks had it for just under 2 weeks now! Getting fed up 😔

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Donna ,I.have what your describing had it fo few years ,Im okay standing ,but agony sitting ,Sciatica will give you this ,also Levator Syndrome ,

I have an electric heating pad to help ease it ,I find sitting in a car for long agony .with sciatica you get it go down back of legs ,and into your toes ,,I've got it in one foot ,like numbness and tingly ,mainly big toe and next one ,the Levator is same symptoms ,it's been called Cyclist syndrome for obvious reasons ,as they get this a lot .Its all pressure and trapped nerves ,don't get fobbed off by your dr(s) ,try and get a good Physio to manipulate area .Not saying it will work ,but best thing for you to try first .Its a painful condition  one lady I know can only lay down with it ,I know I tend to sit more on my hips to ease the pain of it .

• Posted

Thank you Marlene for your answer, its awful isn't it? Iv never felt anything

Like it. Iv had a hot water bottle on my

Buttocks and lower back the last

Few nights, feels like its actually in my butt itself sometimes!

• Posted

Hi Donna yes I've done the hot water bottle ,but I've found the heating pad works far better to ease it ,got mine from Boots chemist in UK ,but can get them anywhere not to expensive .

I've used gels ,hot and cold in the past ,not helped any .i know what your saying about it being inside .In the beginning it felt my lower back ,having to roll out of bed ,where it hurt ,then it went into backside ,then backs of legs

,thighs .Ive sat on bed pillows no help still pressure there .

One exercise I do do on regular base is do leg stretches what athletes do to warm up ,I put my leg (s) on a chair and stretch back of thigh muscle out .Give that a try .That heating pad is £30 ,Im sat on it as Im typing .

Mine I've had now 9 yrs nearly .Miserable condition couldn't agree more ,mine began after a weight loss through an illness .

• Posted

Whatever it is called does not really matter it obvious you are in pain. Your GP should be able to refer you for a short course with an osteopath free on the NHS who can help you realign your body and advise on best ways to protect your back when walking

Dont be fobbed off if just back ache it should have star6ed to resolve itself

• Posted

Oh apparently nhs funded osteopathy only in some places but worth asking
    • Posted

I know when I asked the doctor he

Said "what do you think sciatica is?

And I said well its nerve pain. He said

Everyone gets back pain in there lives especially if we don't take care of it,

He lifted my legs up to check for

Any numbness which hurt like hell

Stretching! Iv never known sciatica to

Be so painful especially whilst sitting

And hardly no pain walking about!

• Posted

All my muscles feel tender in the

Buttocks area and legs especially

When massaged. Prior to this I had

Pulled hamstrings in my calf muscles

A few days before this started.

• Posted

Hi Donna. I am 14 weeks post TKR but before I had my operation I suffered from sciatica down my hips, buttocks and the leg that was eventually operated on. The pain was really bad and debilitating. As soon as I had the TKR, the sciatica went away. My physiotherapist and surgeon both think it was bad posture when I was walking because of the arthritis pain I was suffering. I do get occasional mild sciatic pain when lying in bed on that side but it is nothing much. Your pain definitely sounds like sciatica. Heat used to help me more than ice. Apparently your doctor can prescribe something like amitryptiline, an anti-depressant which is supposed to help nerve pain, which is what sciatica is. Good luck and no need to suffer! Get your doctor to sort it out. Cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.