Does Tibolone/Livial cause dizziness?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am a 56yr old lady who has not taken any form of HRT.  The menopausal symptoms are many and are really getting me down.  I have prescribed Livial but despite having it in my drawer for 10 months have not got the courage to try it!  I am terrified of it causing dizziness and I have read that it can.  I used to suffer from terrible Vertigo and don't want to risk that.  My symptoms include temperature changes, irritability, forgetfulness, low libido, vaginal soreness, clumsiness, depression, weight gain, intense itching at night, frequent urine infections,  etc etc!  Any advice gratefully received!

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I meant to add that the GP tested my testosterone levels and I forget what the normal is; but it's somewhere above 50 to hundreds.  Mine was 0.5mg!  She said they couldn't test for Oestrogen levels,... don't get that one! 
    • Posted

hello..Daisy..love that name, had a great aunt that name, and taught me at school.haha..i was on livial for a long time, many years..now i am 81...took off it at 79..doctors, and everyone, across the world..said come off it, i am old and nearly 80..i had to ,could not get a prescription...i was worried i would get worse, and be ill, more than i was..on steroids etc..for temporal artirtis...i came off it..steadily got worse and worse...i am an organiser, i organised my 80th..struggle, on my own..on computer, and e mails, and phone...i did it..but not well...livial was good for bones, if you look at instructions, also...and i am worse, and now on morphine to...cant get out, unless to clinics, etc...wheel chair now..i am sure all this would not have happened if i stayed on livial...but...as they say we are all made differet..i was told by a professor, senior, to keep on it for life if  i wanted, and was o.k...forget her words now..but...she retired, could not get her anymore...and no one else agreed with her..it was WAS very good for me...i had, have a partner...things have changed now..bless you..God   Bless you.xx.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara

Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to answer me in such detail.  It seems that Livial really did suit you and I am so sorry they discontinued it.  You may be right that the stopping of it did contribute to your current health difficulties but I suppose it's difficult to say for sure..  You are patently a very strong-minded lady and I know you'll be ok.  I will take your comments into consideration and may well give it a go.  God bless you too Barbara and thanks again  x x 

• Posted

Dear Barbara, I have been thinking about you, but could not remember my

password to get into patient discussions, I don't know if you remember me,

but I have been off of Livial for almost 3 months now, and when I was off

of it for 2 and a half months I was diagnosed with breast cancer, you can

imagine my horror...........but am getting use to it...........the doctor who saw

me as I have been to 2 doctors already have said that HRT does not cause

cancer.....that they have realized that there are other factors involved in ones getting cancer.  Anyways, I have to be operated on and get treatment,

but am hoping I can go back on Livial when I am back on my feet, but it

reminded me of what you said when you went off of Livial, like the earth

had opened up and you got everything under the sun when you stopped

taking Livial.  Anyways I hope that this email finds you well and happy.

Sincerely, G

• Posted

hello georgina.....good to hear from you...me the same, have to look up password.,..move around here in my tight liittl office room!! found it..anyway..i am SO SORRY you have been diagnosed cancer after off livial...doctors say that is not the cause...say that with all my things..but it happened in my body all the same...i have not time to sort everything out, but i believe it to be MS...however, i may be wrong, and dont mind admitting it..but dear georgina..keep smiling...keep strong...yes, i feel happy enough. although the doctor said i was to see a psychologist, and to tell THEM THAT I WAS DEPRSSED...POINTED HER FINGER AT ME, AND SAID YOU ARE DEPRESSED...no way,NO WAY...i had two sessions with the psyc...she was lovely, did not want to see me anymore, said i am not depressed, and i am doing well to keep busy..i have papers and junk everywhere...my office girl training, had my own office you see. but to much paper work!! hehe..keeps me goiing..everyone thinks it crap..well it is to them..nearly xmas...i love xmas better than holidays..i could never pack for hols. now...no way...i am writing xmas cards..over 150 i send..i love it, talking to people i have known in life with a few words..and newsletter, but this year a tiny note..my granddaughter gone back to australia until april or may..again,.trying to think whether you came from ausie, america, or uk...take care..have a good christms...and help others..i try in the state i am in..cant get out unless doctors or clinics, etc..and my joe takes me in wheelchair..he is lovely....but has swing moods, which stresses me..hey ho..love life.love barbara...in haste..need my breaky, then wash, late as usual...8-9 medication up here when i get up...then another lot with my breaky..keeps me going and alive, hehe..xx..laugh..xx..
    • Posted

hello georgina88796..nice to hear from you, and forgive my delay..i havent always been able to open and reply to my e mails very quickly..so much to do , at my age, and my health, and caring for myself, ordering my mass of prescriptions, keeping up to date...and etc.etc..

BUT..oh dear, fancy that happening to you...i am pretty convinced things like that do happen, and could...but i am no medical expert but learning lots...i came off it, and nearly tweo years now, everything going wrong with health.  not sure if i told you, but i am absolkutely convinced now i have MS...multiple sclerosis...i have been in touch with someone who was so bad with it, and she has written a book...everything she says, i can understand it....nearly all the symptoms for MS i have...but doctors say it is side effects of tablets, etc...and doctors, nurses, etc...and i have written to the hospital, and they are all saying also, that it is my age!!...all the way along with livial, it was MY AGE..i think i told you i was elderly...and i  am stil young at heart...but gone are the livial days i am afraid....my partner is now helping to care for me a lot...but it is all jobs now, and i cannot get away on holidays..it is sad..and family, have so many problems, my daughter is quite good, but just pops in and out..so busy, and she has just had a bereavemeht on her husbands family..so i struggle along..i get tingling arm and leg...heart failure i have now, heart nurse calls every 3 weeks or so...i see rheumagtology, for the temporal artiritis and polymyalgia that i have...but i got those before stopping livial...by eyesight is fading at times...blurry...i have a job to read and write....but there are times when i am not so bad...i am getting very shaky now, my hands, i drop things easily...i have had left shoulder damaged after polymyalgia, but the right arm is now difficult to...i cant lift left arm much, and the right arm, hurtss..cant reach things..and cant carry heavy things..not even a dish of trifle i make, is so heavy.,.i love cooking, but now mince/blitz anything hard, i cant chew...i.e. a nice steak!! any meat really, and salads,,i mincer up lettuce,cucumber, tomato, etc..with salad cream..quite nice..and in a samdwich..bread is soft..it is my bottom teeth have al gone...due to bone structure in me..osteoarthritis and osteopporosis...i will go not further...too boring..but. as i had my own little secretarial business for over 50 years, i still try to look after myself, in a way, that i ran my business..doing it all, filing things..but losing  things, so much paper work...i get so tired, and fatigue, i just have to crash out and rest for half to an hour, and then i am fine again..to work..(no pay, to work for myself, hahahaha.!!!!)..but i have always enjoyed my work...i need to sit quietly and concentrate though. so early mornings, or late evenings, when  i can be alone for a while, i can get on..!!...that is about it now...the two grandchildren i had here where we live, one got married last summer, now lives further away, not seen her since xmas...and the other is travelling again in austgralis, n.zealand, vietnam, and all over the place...been away since september...so sad, but we have to let them go!! as we did with our own children!!...so now i am on a different twenty year things...everything has gone in 20 years spasms with me..perhaps with most people, but now i am  80, battling with this...i am still trying to get a second opinion, get a scan, i dont mind if i am told i have not got it, but an MS helpline person says i should make more enquiries, etc...and i am jolly well goihg to if i can!!..but i had to stop livial, with all my contacts i made...no one would listen..yet the instructions inside, said that livial, was HELPFUL for bone structure...and i was convinced it was..everything gone wrong since..getting headaches more now to...and aches and pains a lot more..all the best to you Georgina...and hope you get over the cancer...i pray and feel for you...and thank you so much for writing to me again...it is good to talk, eh...take care of yourself,  best wishes, from me!

• Posted

Dear Barbara, thankyou so much for writing , can you imagine.....

I did not see your reply to me from 3 months ago, only yesterday's

reply.  So I had a lot to read.  I see you are asking me where I am

from........well, right now I am from the U.S.A., but have lived in

Central America for a long time.  

I am amazed at all that you are going thru right now and still able

to sit down and write at the computor.  You truely are a strong

spirited person.  How old are you right now?  I am 70 and off of

Livial for 5 months now.  I have been on radiation and since my

cancer is an "estrogen feeding cancer" I can not longer take 

Livial, and must take an estrogen blocker........not much fun I

believe and will have to take for 5 years.  This pill recks havoc

on your bones, therefore I will have to exercise every day from

monday to Friday for a minumum of 30 minutes in order not to

let my bones go bad.  The other ladies on this Tiblone talk debate

have recommended coconut oil to me for this and my oncologist

gave me a phamphlet which also recommends it.......I am afraid

I will just dry up like an old prune.........not much fun if you ask me,

but my spirit is high..........and I am feeling well.......also have just

finished reading a book by a U.S. neurosurgeon by Evan Alexander called "Proof of Heavan" and I found it soothing seeing

as how I have the cancer, as it shows you a different outlook on

"heavan" so to speak than the church tells you..........I have read

it in Spanish and English and , mind you I am not saying I am 

100% sure of what he says, just another angle on death and where

you go.

Barbara, you hang in there, I feel very fortunate to correspond

with you, I feel we would had of been very good friends if I had

lived in the UK and met you.  You seem to be my kind of friend,

I think of you often and all your gumpshin that you have on 

handling your life so well.  God Bless you Barbara!! xoxo G

• Posted

thanks Georgina..lovely e mail you sentk and kind words...thankyou..i am 81 now...when i first spoke, i just turned 80...hence doctors say to me WELLYO ARE  OLD, AND YOU ARE 80....so what!! hehe...i try to keep going..hard work at timmes, and do get a bit upset and depressed...especially the recent months, so many family and friends have passed away...i read books like you...and seem to get comfort, and understand things a bit more, than going to church..i am late now, and want to get to bed early really...but it is nearly 11.0 p.m...i am having a stair lift put in early tomorrow monday morning...so must go..speak again soon...keep in touch..in haste. regards, barbara. p.s. yes, i am fighting all sorts of things with health...takes a lot of my time!!...i was a typist and had my own secretarial business, so i keep typing, and keep it all up..hehe..take care..
    • Posted

me again Georgina....i dont agree with a doctor saying that livial HRT  does not cause cancer....it is coming off, the the body reacts...same as with me....and coming off like i did...it all went haywire....if i had stayed on it, i am sure things like this would not have happened..probably with yu to but i  am not a doctor, so as i say all along i may just be wrong!!..

i wish you well in life, and hope the op. is successful....so sad..keep in touch...B.p.s. got a stair lift fitted today...always said i would have stairs, gives me exercise....but there are difficult times, where a stair lift is helpful...it is good....so its worth it...hopefully...shal still walk up sometimes..for the exercise...

• Posted

Interesting what you say Barbara, interesting............but I will never

really know..........except that right before I was diagnosed I had

stress in my life as I have never known, so maybe the combination

of the 2 things....who knows......but the cancer I have is an

"estrogen feeding" cancer and that is what the Livial has........

Good Bless you and enjoy your stair lift that you got today!!! xo G

• Posted

Dear Daisylady, if your symptons are so terrible, I would not even think

2 times about starting it out and giving it a chance.  I have been on for

15 years and swear by it.  Give it a chance, and if you think you are dizzy

just stop taking it.  I never was dizzy with Livial.   I think Livial balances

one out very well, and all the above that you are suffering from should

go away after taking Livial.  Give it a good chance.  I know many who

swear by it..........I am sure you will thank me later on for encouraging

you to go for it Girl!!! You can do it!! Kindly and sincerely, Georgina

• Posted

Hi Georgina

Thank you very much for replyiing.  Your comments are really encouraging and as you say you won't know till you try.  I hope I can be lucky like you lol!

x x 

• Posted

I was recently put on Livial and within 3 weeks of taking it I put on 3kgs and at night I was bloating so bad that I looked 6 months pregnant.  I could not wear my rings as my fingers were too swoolen.  I only took it for 3 weeks and in the last coupld of weeks I have lost 1kg but still have issues with the occasional bloating.  My GP said it was a common side effect.  I am now using Wild Yam Cream, but as I have only been useing it for 2 weeks I am not sure if it is going to work either.  I am suffering night sweats - every hour, so am getting very little sleep.  I also have irritability,  forgetfulness, low libido, dry vagina.  Hoping that someone else may be able to give us both some advice, but my advice to you would be don't bother trying the Livial.
    • Posted

Dear Sharon, I am so sorry to hear that Livial has not worked for

you, truely sorry, I am 70 years old and have used Livial for over

15 years with no side effects, and feeling absolutely wonderful.

Did your doctor say that maybe you could try again or are you

100% sure that you will bloat? Sincerely , Georgina

• Posted

Hi Georgina, Unfortunately my GP and Physician both agreed that the synthetic substances in the Livial was definately the cause of my sudden weight gain and bloating.  My GP said it was a common side effect of Livial and she had seen it many times. I wish it had been all that my Gyno said it would be. Just wanted to let people know that it's not for everyone. Cheers Sharon
    • Posted

Hi Sharon

thank you so much for replying.  The weight gain sounds terrible.  I have read this on a few websites but I supposed we are all individual.  It sounds like it was fluid retention rather than fat maybe?  I wish you luck with the Yam cream.  I suppose we all have to keep trying stuff till we find what works best for us. x x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.