does velafaxine cause morning sedation?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Am on 225mg of velafaxine and am finding when I get up I am pretty sedated. Has anyone else found this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi louise im on 225mg ven, tuesday night didnt sleep AT ALL dozed off about 6.30am wed morning then woke at 9. just like you felt zonked, sedated as you call it then today (thursday) splept till 10am and felt worse than i did yesterday morning. how long have you been on 225, ive only been on it 2 1/2 weeks its hard to tell how you feel when tabs make you feel wierd. :-) xx
    • Posted

Hi Jayne

Been on it for 4 months. Have being hoping it will pass. Hope you get on better. I was on citalopram before and I had no problems, but it stopped working.

• Posted

hi louise,exactly the same as me , had 20 30 then 40 cit , stopped working but had been o it 2 1/2 years,  then May went on to 75 ven then 150 and now 225mg
    • Posted

when i changed the anxiety and depression came back with a bang, sleepless nights constant crying stuttering forgetting what i was sayiing , so dr uped it then uped it again and although been on if for 2nhalf weeks still not sleeping properly ,tired crying and constant headaches to be honest with all that going on ive had less time to think about pain from arhtiritus in my knees which ive had for 5 years, i take 6 different tabs every morning in the same order id like to ask you when you take your vent and do you take it after youve eaten, i take 5 tabs then 2 breakfast biscuits then vent. what a parlavor every morning. take care hope it soon works for you :-) xx
    • Posted

Yeah, I eat breakfast then take my tablet as it was upsetting my stomach before. Do you feel sedated on the velafaxine at all?
    • Posted

yes thats proberbly why it takes me about 2 hrs in the morning to actually wake up properly and get out of bed..im lucky my husband brings me up cup friut tea about 8 reminds me and watches me while i take tabs then he leaves me to wake up a bit more while he  makes me another drink its approx 10 or 11 i finally make it down stairs half the day is gone, before all this happened i used to get up every day at 6 go to full time job come home etc etc and go to bed at 12 cant do that now havent for over 9 months feel ive let the whole family down coz i cant do what i used to do :-)
  • Posted

Hi louise how did you find the switch I'm taking 75mg Ven and 10mg of cit but iv to drop the cit on Saturday and I feel really weird as I was on 30mg cit to start with. I hope this medication works better as citalopram stopped working for me to tried since October last year with citalopram but kept slipping back again and anxiety was really high.
    • Posted

Hi Dawn

I found the switch okay. Velafaxine working, just feel woozy in morning. Helps with anxiety too.

• Posted

Yes, but compared to other drugs I found it wasn't bad. For true sedation try the old-fashioned tricyclics. With amitryptaline I could fall asleep standing up! Your body does become used to the sedation after a month or two.
    • Posted

Fingers crossed it gets better, only side effect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.