does watching horror effect you

Posted , 7 users are following.

some people are very sensistive and things like horror films effect them really badly.sometimes without them noticing but it does effect them 

just wondered if anyone noticed it in them self . 

i can watch creepy films like what lies benneth and i am fine 

but anything dark or slashing type movies make me ill with depression and nightmares for  weeks .

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I steadfastly refuse to watch any horror-related or war movie, and this includes documentaries showing the horrors of previous wars.

My reasoning is simple - I know first-hand what can and does happen in this violent world, and I do not wish to be reminded of it by way of either factual re-runs or fictional blood-letting.

To me it is not entertainment - it is an indication of what might happen to our children and their children, unless there is a radical change in the attitudes within society.

• Posted

i agree but did you didnt say does it actuly make you feel unwell

i get ribbed alot because i wont watch blood thirsty films 

• Posted

When I saw certain inhumane things in real time true life , then yes it made me sick, very sick, and that is why I don't ever want to see anything that even resembles that again, be it in factual or fictional films.

You Tis are a wonderful sensitive and compassionate person, and do not deserve to be on the receiving end of anyone's criticism because you are the way you are.

• Posted

its nice to know that i am not alone at how things upset me.

i prefer music and poetry .they make me happy and the world seem a nicer place 

• Posted

Well said, Arch!  Tian, I have nightmares with movies like "Silent of the Lamb".  That movie affected me for weeks.  I was so afraid to be out alone at night and on and on.  Some of the factual documentaries can be very scary.  Those also make me feel sick and so sad for all those who suffered at the hand of maniacs.  

I tend to watch comedies, movies on the light side.  It's not that I'm not aware of what happened in the past because I am.  It's that I choose to see the good in people and how the writers can make you laugh!  priceless

BTW, I see I replied to Arch but it's two-fold to Tian as well.

Warm regards,

Frustrated

• Posted

no problem iv never watched silence of the lambs i can tell from the trailers that it would have disturbed me.

i think people who are not disturbed are the ones that should be worried 

i with you give me laughter and stuff that gives you the giggles 

not being british not sure if you ever saw the top of the pops vid 

its on youtube .

of arthur mullard and hylda baker doing a cover version

of your the one that i want from greese

i had a right set of the giggles watching that again

razz.see if you can find it . 

• Posted

I can't watch horror anymore but I can watch things with violence; well most programmes have some these days and I suppose I'm desensitised, but what really depresses me is the real things that are going on in the world.
    • Posted

Before I get any stick from anyone what I mean is that I know what I'm watching is drama and that it's just a mirror of what's really going on.

I get more depressed by the news. If that makes sense; I don't know, it's late.

• Posted

yes i get yeah about the news i dont watch it 

for the same reason 

but i find blood and gore and crueltiy in films to much makes me really 

ill and depressed for days sometimes weeks .

creepy films were you dont see anything thats fine

,films like the others,what lies benneth ,and others like this 

i am ok with.

but bloody violence cruelity or black . i cant do 

give you an example of a film i found very disturbing 

totally made me bad for weeks coulldnt get it out of my head

that was the human centipeed  .to real for me there are wackos about like that thats what scares me 

• Posted

I really don't want to know about the human centipede, oh I definitely couldn't watch that, or the shakes on plane film, although I really like the actor. shuddering

I get too scared by the creey films that you can watch because my imagination goes overboard so I can't watch them. If it was night time I'd be too scared to go to the toilet on my own! Yeah I'm a scardy cat. cheesygrin

• Posted

but what do you class as violence a punch up a knife fight

someone being set on fire .its such a big range. 

i like the rocky movies and terminator movies 

dirty harry movies . but thats about as far as i go eek

• Posted

Oh no I can't stand Rocky movies with them punching each other in the face! That gets to me too badly because its too up close and personal.

But I love the Terminator movies, perhaps because it's too far fetched to be true so it doesn't affect me?

• Posted

Ok I've been punched in the face and suffered other forms of violence so maybe that's why Rocky's too close to home, but I've never faced a terminator!
    • Posted

But have you ever had to pick-up the body parts of children after an indiscriminate school bus bomb has exploded?

I wager that would turn you off violence of any kind forever.

• Posted

No but then I didn't claim to be turned onto violence, I just said it's in lots of programmes so I've got used to it.

For instance I like watching crime dramas because I like to try to work out who dunnit and there's always a bit of something but that's not why I watch for goodness sake! eek

Are you trying to wind me up again or what? cool lol Looking for a fight??? Huh huh *wink*

• Posted

Just as an afterthought I would like it if people, us ordinary people, thought before we spoke because mental abuse can be very severe when words are used in an attacking kind of way. Words can drag people down to your level if you mean them unkindly.

Every violent act that ever was began with a thought or word.

It's good to recognise when people are using words to put someone down, and to thus ignore them! cheesygrin

• Posted

its funny i see boxing as a sport two people choosing to match there strenght and skill . but i do like to see the underdog win thru .

i love a good boxing match . i do worry about there injurys 

but they choose it.  banning it would only mean 

it went under ground and the boxers would at risk of even more serious 

injurys .

• Posted

Yes it is strange that we find different violent things horrific. I just find boxing to be so sickening and terrible! I just can't handle it at all. My neice did it for a while and she's so pretty, me and her mum were so glad when she stopped! 

But I love watching Bruce Lee and all kind of martial arts in films. And I used to do it myself. Go figure! Lol cheesygrin

• Posted

I was trying to explain Georgia why I personally cannot be  involved in violence in any of it's forms, especially when it involves either factual or fictional films, literature or any other form of media..

It purely relates to me and to nobody else, and it is not why anyone else should be the same - It is called 'my perspective'....so no I am not trying to wind anyone up - just stating my opinion from my perspective.cool

• Posted

You are at the top of my 'clicking list' because I adore your spirit in the face of adversity.

If you don't want me to click on you, then just say so.

Please don't take everything I say to heart - I wouldn't intentionally hurt you for the world - then again I wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone.

Sometimes, but not often I do feel the need to express what makes me tick and how I relate to what has gone on and continues to go on in the world, so please don't take offence to my opinion of how I see things.

• Posted

Fairy's snuff, as long as you don't take offence to my opion of how I see things? Touche?

I love you bro; it wouldn't be the same here without you! And I don't often get soppy, ok. cool

• Posted

Nah he's just a nutter! Aaaarrggghhh running away...didn't meant it Arch!!!! lol
    • Posted

No dearest I will not take offence to what you say, because I realised a long time ago that you are really a big softie - and a good-hearted one at that. cheesygrin xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.