Doing ok on venlaflaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I feel so guilty reading all of your horrible experiences with Venlaflaxine. I was put back on it about four months ago and had a really bad time. I couldn't face the thought of changing meds again so my GP preescribed low dose Pregabalin and the two together seem to be doing the trick. Now the only side effect I have is weird vivid dreams I feel "normal" again - but I am bi-polar so am always afraid it will all fall aprt.

I'd also likd to say I took Venlaflaxine 225mg for about ten years and was then changed to another anti-depressant, not my idea. I came of Venlaflaxine with no trouble at all. I know everyone has diffeent reactions and I'm so sorry for people who ae having probelsm coming off. I just wonder if anyone else, like came off with no problem. And anone who is benefitting from Venlaflaxine, It all seems negative stuff. Good luck to everyone anyway

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

I switched from Citalopram to Venlafaxine in early June. I am on 150 mgs Ven. The first few weeks were v difficult, but now I feel I am really benefitting. So - another success story, altho' a partial one in my case.

I am also on Mirtazapine 30 mgs, trazodone 50 mgs and Pregabalin 100 mgs; I am slowly tapering down on the Preg; I was on 150mgs until this July. I'm glad you're benefitting from the Preg; I found it had no appreciable effect on my anxiety. It just shows how we all respond differently to meds.

My big problem now is weight gain, which I think is caused by the Mirtazapine. I try very hard but my weight still continues to increase, and it's making my anxiety levels skyrocket. You just can't win!

All the best,

Amanda

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your reply, Nice to hear that someone else is doing ok on Venlaflaxine. I also take a mood stabiliser as well as Pregabalin and Ven.  I seem to have put on a little weight and am not sure if one of the pills or the combination is causing it or just that for a long while I was so low I was just eating sugary junk!!  So I'm watching what I eat. The only side-effect I do get from Ven is really vivid sometimes horrible dreams. Do you get that.

I'm just amazed at how differently people react to medication.  I had a reall success with Pregabaline the first time I took it and it turned my life around. But after about four years it stopped working. I', just back on it after a six month gap.

Good luck to you

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

I don't think you suffer from withdrawal symptoms off venlafaxine if you switch to another AD. They only kick in if you come off medication altogether. It's the lack of serotonin that causes the effects so by replacing one AD with another keeps the levels up.

I've been off all meds for just over 2 weeks now and the first week was hell but it's getting better now.

Vivid dreams are a side effect of venlafaxine so you're prob stuck with them now. I had them for the whole 6 years I was on ven and I'm still getting them, but they too might ease with time.

Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Yes, I suppose I'm stuck with the dreams.  I didn't get them the first time I was on Venlaflaxine but it's most nights now. I can live with that, worth it to feel better.

When I came of Ven I didn't replace it with anything for about six weeks and it really wasn't that bad. Just lucky I guess.

Glad you're doing better on week 2 with no meds. Well done. I'd be too scared.

Elaine

• Posted

I have come of Ven for about a week (went on a wobble and stopped all my meds). I went cold turkey from 300mg to zilch and had very little issue. Ven has been a life saver for me. Sure, I get nasty side effects, mainly excessive sweating. I also put on weight but that might be the antipsychotics I am also on. I am slowly losing the weight now so it can be done.

BW, BM.

• Posted

I put on lots of weight when I was on antipsychotics. Took about six months but I lost it all when I stopped taking them.  Have you stopped all your meds ?

Elaine

• Posted

I did stop alll my meds but back on them again now - was being silly when I stopped. I also take epilepsy meds and it was really stupid to stop those sad The trouble with being mentally ill is that you sometimes do things that make little rational sense.

Anyway, I am generally happy on my meds. Sure, I would rather not be ill and not need the meds but that's just dreaming....

BW, BM.

• Posted

I often think about just stopping all my med, especially when  I feel awful and depressed and think there's no point taking them. I have bi-polar so I'm all other the place anyway.

What I really love is when people tell me to think positive and go for a long walk and then I'll feel bettermad

• Posted

Yes, come on, just buck your ideas up, positive mental attitude and moral fibre is all you need smile

In fairness it is difficult to understand mental illness if you don't suffer from it. My wife thinks I have more control over it than I do. I'm trying my best but that often falls short of expectations. I have GAD, a mood disorder and some kind of personality disorder. The personality disorder is the most difficult for me because it is fundermental to who I am and I can't just change that on a whim. The anxiety is under much better control now on the meds, I still get high anxiety but it rarely becomes all consuming. I get intrussive thoughts but that is also much better now - the meds are wonderful. As for the mood disorder, who knows what is symptoms and what is reaction to the meds? I get down and grumpy when I think my wife is having a go at me and I get full of spite and sulky and decide to stop taking my meds to serve her right...messed up childish thinking or what... My epilepsy is amlost under control and I want to get my driving license back so stopping the epilepsy meds is particulary stupid.

BW, BM.

• Posted

You're very right. If you're lucky enough to never have suffered any form of mental illness it is difficult to understand. For the most part it's invisible. It's acceptable to cancel a social thing if you have flu or a bad back but try saying you're too depressed and the usual response is "Oh it will make you feel so much better if you get out and mix with people" so it becomes much easier to lie or not make plans in the first place.  I may feel good when I agree to meet someone for lunch but I don't know how the hell I'm going to feel when the time comes. I also have GAD, intrusive thoughts and some type of personality disorder so really have very little control over my emotions - still the meds make life bearable. I do mess about with my dosage depending on my mood with is pretty stupid but being rational is not part of our illness biggrin

I hope you get your licence back soon.

• Posted

Hi Elaine

It's nice to hear a ven success story. We all hv to do wot works for us to have a good life. Ven worked for me for my symptoms but as my dosage was increased the sweating was life crippling and the weight gain caused me to be so unhappy. Anyway my complaints are rather withdrawls that I was never advised about. I'm very jealous but seriously happy that u got off venlafaxine before ok. Here is to a good future for us all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.