Doing Too Much

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 3 weeks post op. Without going into detail I am getting virtually no support and have been trying to do pretty much everything by myself since week two. How do others cope and did they think it hindered or helped their recovery? I am told to rest and eat well and not do too much but its not now an option for me.

7 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can try and help you. Poor thing. So, who is it that you received support from for those first two weeks? Do you live alone? "Resting and Eating Well" is all fine and good but have you gotten any physical therapy or did they leave exercises for you to do yourself at home? I honestly think that if you're able to do something, even if it's painful, go for it. I got lax on my physical therapy and I'm suffering now from laying on the sofa, being depressed and looking at the TV. I did everything alone... the therapists came in and out for the first 3 weeks. Once, it took me 20 minutes to just get up and off of my sofa. I'm doing better now w PT and driving. My dark mood is actual lifting. What can I do to help?
    • Posted

I have been hobbling around trying to cook, clean, care for my pets, one a young puppy who has been so good really, and generally manage the laundry etc. I try to use one crutch and a trolley to assist me. Watering my gardens is a nightmare so have given up but with 30 c most days my beautiful work is starting to suffer. I saw my physio first time last week and he was seriously concerned. Said no one should be trying to run a hm or use just one crutch so soon. Some days my hip gets very sore others not so bad.
    • Posted

Sounds like you need to get a "Team" together and make a plan! First of all, you don't need to be cleaning anything unless the Queen is stopping by for tea. People will understand if things are in perfect order. Are there friends, neighbors, church people or family you could call? I know I had to. You'll be surprised at all the people that will come when you ask for help. See if they can do your more important chores like laundry or watering the garden. All of those things are not nearly as important as you beginning to heal is!!! If you're moving around and doing that much, you're on the right path, just too soon. It's probably hard to get comfortable, but what if you got a couple of pillows, a light blanket and laid down on the sofa with some tea? Give your body a rest. Have other people do those other chores. The World won't end if they don't get done. I haven't done laundry for 9 weeks!! A friend took a basket to her house, washed them and brought it back. Maybe someone can make you a casserole that you can pull out and microwave. I drink those Boost Protein shakes about 4 a day, and I don't eat as well as I should because seems after my surgery, I sort of lost my appetite. Watch out for that new puppy. Sounds like a trip hazard to me!!! Also, keep the puppy away from your incision. My dog jumped up in my lap once and I forgot to catch her, didn't feel good. My advise is to take the advise of the physio and rest.rest.rest. There will be plenty of time to get back to doing those chores. I really enjoyed my self imposed solitude. I've still got pain meds to take and I use them when I do physio. Long story, but I just now started mine. Over 2 months after I should have. Tell your doctor if you are still having a lot of pain, they want to know. You might have a nut or bolt loose! 
    • Posted

luvinlex , 

I love that  "you don't need to be cleaning anything unless the Queen is stopping by for tea. People will understand if things are not in perfect order. "

Remember Deb, it's not a race, and no-one will judge you on the state of cleanliness of your house, but they will see your progress with your new hip, and you need to give your body time to heal to let you use it.

Graham

• Posted

Thanks Graham!

See, I'm in the US and am trying to acclimate myself to this site and the people on it. I thought tossing in something about the Queen would be nice, tea, use the word "loo" "physio"  "paracetamol" "ward" "30c" 

Lexington, KY "Horse Capital of the World" 

• Posted

I'll add your comment into my website when I update it next, I love it so much.
    • Posted

LOL .... seriously --- you are something else ... sooooo funny and yet, oh so wise -

Sorry Graham , but I live in Holland right now after living in Los Angeles for 34 years (returned to Holland in 2014 and start wondering why ??? Oh, yeah, hip surgery) -

I have learned so many "new" words and watching the BBC helps too ...

Linda, kip = nap - I had to look it up because one of the dear fellow hippy was "kipping" a lot --- anyway ...

Didn't want to insult anyone - 

redface

• Posted

Just updated - especially for you - it's in the top of section 11 - Early recovery

Graham

• Posted

Yes, the problem of languages, because kip = chicken in dutch, so in Holland you can go to a restaurant for kip, but in England you have a kip (nap or sleep) in a comfy chair or bed.

• Posted

hi any advice about getting back in the saddle post thr

• Posted

Hi Deb

I am also 3 weeks post op and from the day I left hospital I have had to find a way of managing the situation myself. I have a 5

week appointment with a physio and a 6 week appointment with the surgeon. I guess that's pretty standard here in the UK. I could contact my GP or ring the hospital ward if I want advice but in

general I have made all my decisions based on the support given by our wonderful hippy friends on this forum.

I am making good progress and am trying to use just

paracetamol and ibuprofen for pain relief. My biggest problem is sleep! I just cannot find anywhere comfortable enough to be able to nod off. Bed is too soft - leg starts to ache after about an hour - I am using a recliner chair which is better than nothing!

All the best

David

• Posted

I hear ya on trying to sleep. I think I went 3 straight nights without sleep for the same reason. Back hurts, hips hurt, both knees hurt. Three nights without sleep can make you see things that aren't really there - like tripping or something. Anyway, I slept on my sofa. It is perfect for watching TV and the physio put a square sofa pillow where the crack is between the cushions. Put a sheet down, got 2 pilllows, a soft blanket and I finally found a place I could sleep w less pain. One of the first days, it literally took me 20 minutes to get up off the sofa. My leg was just not going to cooperate. It was pitiful. 
    • Posted

Have tried the sofa without any joy but will have another go with

extra cushions to fill the gaps. Great idea. Have a good day!

• Posted

I'll send you a photo of my set up. Nothing fancy but it works. 
    • Posted

These photos show my "lounge area". Excuse the mess! I have that one pillow in the center, a stiff one works best and doesn't sink in as easy. 2 pillows at the head, because that way I'm facing the TV. ;-) I keep Kleenex, snacks, phone charger, laptop, a daily planner and lip balms, etc... on my blanket chest in front. I'd have "made the bed up" but there was a little girl hogging all the blankets. Anyway, that's how the PT set it up. My bed is way too hard to sleep on right now. I sorta like this set up. Maybe I'll Let the room out and stay here, make extra cash to pay medical bills. You keep us informed about what's going on, and start on a "Plan" or "Agenda" for yourself. hugs to all 
    • Posted

Morning David

The only way I could sleep was to bolster pillows up behind my back (right from the small of the back) and sleep at a 40 degree angle. Not only did this stop my backache, but also prebents the possibility of rolling over whilst asleep.

Hope that helps.

Michael

• Posted

Looks like a great setup there - mess, what mess?

You need lots of things around you, so you need somewhere to store them, I used my wife's old veg tray on wheels - I could even roll it from the lounge to our conservatory.

First night I spent on my lounger - better (firmer) than bed, and closer to the loo too.

• Posted

Looks so cozy !!!  what's her name ????

Wishing you good night from Holland , with hours of uniterrupted sleep -

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Nice set up Luvinlex. At least my sofa is the same colour! Putting a cushion, or pillow, in the gap between the seats might just do

the trick. Not sure about the cat though. Our black and white

snores too much!

• Posted

Looks like a man cave in the making! I'm not sure if I could sleep on my back but maybe I could in a chair like that! Funny, just the "essentials" I need in my life can be thinned down to about 4 square feet. Deep thinking is needed here. 
    • Posted

Oops! So sorry! No excuse - just immediately thought of cat nap!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.