Don't delay surgery for Achalasia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Achalasia 3 years ago and didn't want to have the surgery due to issues I've had with anesthesia and sleep apnea. However, if I had known my esophagus could get stretched which would reduce effectiveness of treatment I would have done it sooner.  Now I've had the surgery, but was told I'll have issues with food pooling in my esophagus.  I'm not sure the extent or severity of the potential issues.  Please post if you have feedback, and I'll update as needed.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ed, how long ago did you have the surgery? Do they have you on meds for reflux? I take 40mg prilosec before breakfast and lunch and 40 mg of Pepcid at dinner and bedtime. I also sleep almost sitting up so I don't get food or acid pooling or coming up the esophagus. Did you regurgitate food often before the surgery?

• Posted

I just had the surgery Monday Sep. 12, 2016. I didn't have issues with reflux so no extra meds. Swallowing seems fine but I'm limiting myself to simple fluids. Before and after the surgery I sleep mostly upright due to sleep apnea and the swallowing issue. I had issues with regurgitation when first diagnosed, but the changes I made prevented it from reoccurring. However, I was only able to eat soup so I got the surgery ASAP.

• Posted

It might be that you can keep the 'pooling' to a minimum by eating little and often, and definitely avoid swallowing more food if the first mouthfuls have not progressed into your stomach.   Position probably helps, depending on the direction in which your oesophagus tends to sag.  

?Avoid food that would congeal, like white bread, rice etc. as that will just make a heavy lump in your oesophagus.   Avoid food with a texture that might not pass easily through into your stomach like fruit with skins (eg tomato), stringy meat and so on.   If you go on to the website of the Oesophageal Patients Associationand look under The oesophagus and then Achalasia, you should find, towards the bottom of the page, a download facility for A Patients Guide to Achalasia that sets out common experience with different sorts of food.

• Posted

I've already implemented some of your suggestions, thank you. I also downloaded the docment.

• Posted

I dropped my pain med to 7.5ml today, and noticed my stomach is bloated and I'm retaining water. No discomfort, but I can't fit into my jeans. Added gasx and stool softener to my med regimen and hope they will reduce or eliminate both. I'm still nervous about what and how much to eat. So far, 1 sugar free pudding, 1 protein shake, bowl of clear soup, some water, and sugar free jello.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.