Don't know what to do!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm new in here & have been reading things others have posted, i have been getting some help but I'm lost at the moment.

I've suffered with RLS for many years, but lately it is giving me real trouble, I just don't know what to do with myself to help! It's really getting me down has anyone any ideas on how to try & stop the feeling? TIA.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I can only say that I have recently started taking "Butchers Broom" tablets one a day and I have been free of this for several weeks.  Fingers crossed.   I used to suffer as a child but then it went away. Wonder if it comes back as you get older??

• Posted

Just looked at my tablets....they are Horse chestnut extract with Butchers broom and also grape seed extract and rutin.   Having looked at other chats on here about RLS I see that Rutin is recommended as a possible source of relief. Are you in UK? I can PM you with where to buy if you are interested.
    • Posted

What other medications are you taking?
    • Posted

Dear Marina

There seems to be a lot in common with our history.

For the first 20 years I had to have a spoonful of sodium bicarbonate at bedtime because of indegestion.   When I worked out that this might kill me quicker than I wanted I started on an indegestion tablet called Quickeze.    After a while I realised that if I forgot my Quickeze then I got "jumpy legs" which was our family name for RLS.  So I carried Quickeze with me everywhere and on quite short car trips and in the cinema I would take one of these and the RLS would go away quite quickly.

When my RLS became ore severe I found thet two were needed and soon the quickeze no longer worked.   After a pretty rough few years I followed up the idea of diet and RLS and arrived at being gluten free which was a big help but left me still frequently uncomfortable.   Then after some discussion with a helpful person at Monash  I decided that there might be a connection between the IBS abd RLS so I went to the FODMAP diet which worked remarkably well.   Gluten was not the problem but wheat and many other things were.   There was a large overlap between gluten and wheat which was misleading.

I suggest you give the FODMAP diet a try.   First I recomend you take it very seriously if you start.   I have found that small deviations are punished by the loss of sleep for a couple of nights.   Secondly get help from a dietician but ask questions to make sure he or she knows about the FODMAP diet.   Thirdly the diet is an exclusion diet.   There are five FODMAP carbohydrates and with good luck you might only be intolerant to lactose.    OR you might be intolerant to all five with bad luck.   So the diet is intended to almost exclude all the FODMAPs until you find good health (6 to 12 weeks at worst) ou start re-introducing FODMAPS one at the time and starting with small amounts.   Hopefully this identifies your food intolerances and you have a smaller list of foods to avoid.   Remember that it has nothing to do with a healthy diet its only about avoiding or minimising FODMAPs so you you might be appalled to find that apples and pears are bad for you so that most jams (which are padded out with one of these) are out   But there are lots of things that are IN so be determined to enjoy the foods you are allowed and I hope you enjoy relaxed nights of sound sleep

Good Luck

Graham

• Posted

Hi Marina Dee

Sadly I am on a big list of meds 😞 For a big list of conditions.

Are your tablets from the Dr? I take Ropinirole & have been on the same dose from the start.

• Posted

So Ropinirole doesnt work for your RLS?   Its like Dopamine,so i'm not sure I would want to take it but as its on prescription I'm sure its compatible with your other medications.    I get Horse Chestnut tablets online.    If you are on lots of meds you would probably have to check with your doc before using them,as they should not be used [especially] with blood thinning drugs.            I also think that exercise can help RLS. When I have been out power walking I dont get any symptoms and also when I have been on walking holidays I dont get RLS.

• Posted

Hi Julie

I have a similar history.  RLS since I was about 15 but it was just very annoying but at about 50 it became worse.  This is apparently normal for it to become worse with age.    There are lots of drugs and it seems different people are helped by different drugs.  I have had reactions to the few drugs I have tried.  I have always seen a relationship between RLS and something about what I have eaten.   I found that a diet developed by Monash University in Australia for Irritable Bowel Syndrome victims has helped me very significantly.   I suggest you search this forum for "FODMAP" as I have made a number of posts suggesting other people try it as well.   Its cheap and doesn't have side effects like drugs but be warned that its not easy and definately not intuitive.   You might be intolerant of many things that you would now describe as good and healthy.  Apples pears onions garlic lactose in milk and cheese ( you can still eat cambert and Brie and vintage cheese ) and wheat.   Several hospitals and research institutions around the world have adopted this for IBS so you can google and find lists of allowable foods.

If you want more details please feel free to contact me through the forum or by pm.    I am not selling anything =- its all free.

I know of a few people who have had complete or very significant loss of symptoms by finding and avoiding foods to whjich they are intolerant

Good Luck

Graham

• Posted

Thats interesting Graham. I have recently discovered that I am dairy intolerant after suffering all my life with gut problems and consuming loads of indigestion tablets throughout my life. I'm sure my Mother was the same as she suffered in an identical fashion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.