Dont know what operation ive had

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all hoping you can give me some advice. When I went to see surgeon for a mass in my womb I was adviced to have it removed although it was non cancerous. She told me they would try and take it out by keyhole but just incase they had to make a bigger cut would I sign a consent form to have my womb removed at the same time. When I came to after operation I was told everything had went to plan and I would get out that night. I was in a lot of pain but they got me up to go to toilet. I was told I shoulnt be in as much pain and I had to walk arround a lot. Later I asked nurse about my dressings and she went to fetch doctor who then told me I had a bigger cut and I wouldn't get home that night.To cut a long story short I kept asking what operation I had and kept getting told it was keyhole then a nurse printed something of the internet for me about a laproscopic oopharectomy (dont think thats how you spell it) and told me my womb was still there and they had to make a bigger cut to remove the mass. Can anyone tell me if they have had same thing and any reasons why they wouldnt remove womb. I am 66 years old and feel very stupid and still in a lot of pain. They have also said I don't need a follow up visit as I have dissolving stiches. I think I'm more worried because the nurse said on tuesday I shouldn't have pain and I was sent home on Thursday still not knowing what operation Iv'e had done.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Irene,

So sorry you're going through this.  It seems to me that you've gotten very substandard medical care.  At the very least you should have had a follow up visit with the surgeon.  If they removed a mass from your abdomen, it seems that it was attached to one of your ovaries, because that's what was removed according to what you said in your post.  A pathology test should have been done on the mass, and you should have been informed about what the examination of the mass revealed.

Do you have a gp who oversees your medical care?  I suggest you go see your gp and ask for his or her assistance in completing your recovery.  You should also report the surgeon and the surgeon's conduct to your gp or to the hospital that performed the surgery.  

I'm sure that others on this site will also have suggestions.  Please don't let this go, you're being fobbed off.  Please let me know how you do!  

• Posted

Thaks for your advice lynda, I'm  feeling a lot better now that Ive got pain under control. I'm going to try and see my gp and find out just exactly whats happened. I think myself there has been a lack of communication in the hospital. The wee nurse that got me up first time didn't even realise I had a bigger scar and I dont think the doctor who came to see me after op  realised it either. I was in so much pain I didn't realise what was going on. I know the ward was very busy but I agree with you that the care was really substandard. Thanks for replying. The discharge letter i got from hospital to hand into gp did say the mass was going to lab and letter would follow with details of operation and the student doctors who came to see told me that fallopian tubes and ovaries had been removed and the reason I had a bigger scar was because they had to cut me to remove mass but they had left womb in place. When I asked about removing dressings I was told to do it myself when I got home. No-one examined scar and the dressings I got put on after operation were still on when i got home my daughter removed bottom one for me as my stomach was so swollen I couldn'd see it myself. I don't now if thats what they do now or not but as I said earlier I'm going to put on appnt with my own gp and ask a few questions.Will let you know how I get on.

• Posted

So glad to hear from you!  Also good to know that you're feeling a bit better now.  It's a slow process.  I'm 67 and had my operation (hysterectomy, removal of ovaries and tubes) in July and I'm just now feeling well enough to exercise.  Everyone is different, and heals at different rates.  

Please keep in touch and let me know how you do!

• Posted

I am 64 and due for the full works in a fortnight. Your response to Barbara has helped me as well. At the moment I look very pregnant. Does this go after the op? 
    • Posted

I am glad to know that I've helped.  I wish I could tell you definitely that it does.  I think that it depends on several factors, including the volume of what has been removed and the volume of what remains.  In my case, my surgeon informed me that my uterus, ovaries and tubes took up very little space in my abdomen.

Your intestines and bladder will shift into the space formerly occupied by your uterus, so there will be some adjustment there.  Also, you might have some inflammation going on.

After your surgery, the external stitches will heal at a different rate than your internal stitches.  I had a couple of troublesome outside stitches that took about 8 weeks to heal.  The internal stitches need to have time to heal, and I've heard that it can be 6 months or more. So, please be gentle with yourself as long as you need to be.

I've just started walking. I'm starting to gain weight.  I was down to 133 pounds, and I'm at 137 now.  But, I've lost some body fat, about 1%, so that's good, and indicates to me that I'm adding muscle. I'm trying not to push myself, because if I have a set back, I'll get discouraged and start thinking that my life can be improved by something on the end of a spoon!  smile

Please let me know how you get on.  I had my surgery because I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer.  So, it's been a scary time, as you can well imagine.   

• Posted

Thanks, it's difficult to do it all the time. smile  Nights can get long.  I'm so glad I found this site and all the wonderful ladies on it! xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you've had such a terrible time, it really should of been explained to you properly before you left exactly what operation you had even if they are busy. I have had an oopherectomy which includes fallopian tubes I can't say it gave me the kind of pain your experiencing, I would definitely get a check up if it doesn't settle.

I found a bit of information below on NHS website regarding the op.

Types of surgery

An oophorectomy is an operation to remove an ovary. This may be bilateral

(both ovaries) or unilateral (one ovary). A salpingo-oophorectomy is an

operation to remove the ovary and the fallopian tube. This may be bilateral

or unilateral.

I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Tracey Thanks for your help. I went onto NHS website myself and read up on it. I have had a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy but they had to make bigger cut because one ovary was to swollen to take out by key hole.I was bit worried when I came onto this site because I was in so much pain and the nurse had told me I shouldnt have been as it was only keyhole I had had. Reading up on it and listening to other members on this site has truly helped me get through this. I have very little pain now and what I have is caused by bruising which is a far different kind of pain to what I had.Sorry for going on a bit but i am so grateful to you all just thought you deserved to know how much you helped .Thank you from the bottom of my heart xx
    • Posted

Hi, that's lovely of you to say, glad your feeling better and now understand what procedure you've had. This was the same one I had a bit of a mouthful isn't it lol! With the bigger cut their is more bruising and it takes longer to heal your body has been traumatised by the ordeal afterall. It's a little surprising when it's more than we were expecting as the leaflets don't quite capture the pain levels possible which vary so much. Hopefully now you're keep recovering and be more comfortable very soon x

• Posted

I am scheduled for total abdominal hysterectomy. I have a large cyst on right ovary. Doctor said would also remove left one to be on safe side for the future. He said that uterus would shrink once this had been done. My choice to lose the uterus which adds 4 weeks to recovery but the abdominal cut for both options was going to be the same. This was to make sure ovary is removed intact. This may be why you had larger cut.  Perhaps the doctor chose leaving the uterus to shorten recovery time. However not explaining to you is wrong. I hope your GP is supportive about this.  From everything I have ever had done where bits are removed they always send them for analysis. Hope you are feeling better and all has been successful. 
  • Posted

It seems my op was very similar to yours.  The Surgeon said he was hoping to do it by keyhole surgery, however on the day of my op, he said he thought he would rather do open surgery as the cyst which I had on my ovary was quite large and he said he would rather make sure he got it out all in one piece, which he did, together with everything else including my appendix as my ovary had wound itself round my appendix.  You could really say I had a "job lot".  Everything went for testing and about 10 days later I had a letter from the Surgeon with the results which were all benign.  I have a check up this week and can then be discharged from the hospital.  I also had internal stitches, so just have a red line down the middle of my tummy.  My tummy was swollen before lthe op and is now starting to go down gradually.  I did not get much pain though and am doing well.  I think I would go to my GP if I was you if you are suffering with a lot of pain and most likely your surgeon has written to your GP saying what sort of operation you have had.  I got a copy of the letter from the surgeon telling my GP all about it.  He also came to see me after the op to tell me all the details, which is what yours should have done.

Hope you get on okay from now on, remember to take it easy and do as you are told.  Did a Physiotherapist come to see you after the op and give you a leaflet of exercises which you can do?  If not, there are some handy ones on the NHS website  under exercises after hysterectomy.  By the way I am 73, although I am reversing my age now which makes me 37, in mind anyway if not in body!

• Posted

thank you Barbara17317 for your reply. No physiotherapist came near me that I am aware off. I was waiting to see if a letter came in for my doctor as it said on my discharge letter that a letter would be sent to her with operation details. I am going to put on an appointment with my gp asap but can only phone to make appointment on Wednesdays after 12.You say you had internal stitches but I presume you had external ones as well. I think most of my pain is coming from the bruising round the big scar along my bikini line  but I didnt know how badly I was bruised until after I got home as no one had removed my dressings until I got  home on the thursday.
  • Posted

Hi,

No I didn't have any external stitches at all, they were all done from the inside.  I asked the Nurse who changed my dressing what sort of stitches I had got and she said no external ones at all, they were all done from the inside.  She doesn't know how they do it but I said that's magic, so all I have is a red line where the skin has healed together.  I also had a few bruises but they soon disappeared.  Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones who had excellent treatment.  The nurse said I could take the dressing off after 3 days but I left it for 5 days and peeled it off in the shower.  It came off quite easily and I was amazed at how neat it all was.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.