Dosage increased from 10mg to 20mg, new side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, everybody! Hoping someone can calm my health anxiety a bit here...

I was started on fluoxetine 10mg a little over a month ago. Toward the end of the first month, I was suffering from daily anxiety attacks that lasted anywhere from a hour to several hours every time. I went back to my GP for a 4 week follow up and she suggested I increase the dosage to 20mg. Before switching to 20mg, I had noticed slight lightheadedness, but now, after just 3 days on the higher dosage, the lightheadedness has gotten much worse to the point that I felt slightly uncomfortable driving myself to work this morning (20 hours after my last dose of 20mg...)

I've also been getting headaches in the afternoons and I'm almost constantly agitated (I bounce my legs nonstop at my desk). This morning, my face feels slightly numb, not a pins-and-needles feeling, but more like a slight decrease of sensitivity, mingled with a bit of pressure in my cheeks and jaw. I have also been having chest pains, but I suspect that could be due to acid reflux or something possibly caused by an unrelated issue (I'm on iron supplements for iron deficiency anemia). 

I'm just always so paranoid about my health lately - something I didn't used to be so worried about - and it's consuming me so much every day that all I want to do is put my head down and force myself through til I'm off work and can go home and go back to bed...

I just found this forum and was hoping someone could validate these side effects and reassure me that I'm not crazy and that this is a normal reaction to increasing fluoxetine dosage...

I messaged my GP yesterday and she wants me to continue the medication, but I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with these side effects...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This is normal for side effects I was fortunate not to get that many side effects on my first time taking fluoxetine

I did have bad headaches and had the drowsiness as well but it does go away with time

It took me a couple of months before I felt normal again my friends and family noticed a huge difference so I knew it was working

Just recently I was put on 40 mg from 20mg and I had a couple of bad days

2 days I felt lethargic I had headaches, anxiety irritableness and sadness

I'm on day 5 of the new dose and I'm still not feeling like myself but I don't feel drowsy this morning

It gets better with time smile

• Posted

Thank you, Sarah! Sorry you've been struggling with side effects again sad

Side effects tend to be worse for me when I worry about them. I will try to keep reminding myself that it is normal and I just need to persevere!

• Posted

You will overcome these side effects, you just have to give it time. The increased dose has to get in to your system. It all takes time. Give it another few weeks and I am sure you will feel better.

I have been on fluoxetine 20mgs for over 7 months and they took at least 6-8 weeks to fully kick in. You will feel normal soon. Just hang on in there and believe me I actually went through hell and back and thought I would never feel normal again, but now I feel great. No more stress and anxiety!!! And my appetite is normal too. I had no appetite for a while.

Good luck.

Deborah

X

• Posted

So the fluoxetine took 6-8 weeks for it to kick in after your dose of 20 mg was started or are you saying all together? My anxiety is already bad, I've lost 25 pounds and nausea and headaches.
    • Posted

Yes I started on 20mgs of flux and it all kicked in after 6 weeks.I also lost quite a bit of weight, but am back to normal eating now. Just give it time. You will fine soon.

D

• Posted

Hi deborah, by feeling like yourself?anxiery.panic gone?your back to your old self?
    • Posted

Were you tapering off another drug or just starting on Prozac? Have you ever been on it before?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.