Dosage of Tegretol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any thoughts on ideal dosage for TN sufferers?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Varies a lot from person to person. Some get bad adverse reactions even at quite a low dose. My "maintenance" dose is 600-800mg spread out a 3-4 doses per day. When I'm having a breakthrough period which can last some weeks, I can take about 1400 - 1600mg per day (and I need it). Main side reactions are scabby facial skin and being spaced out. So you shouldn't drive if on high doses, which makes work a bit difficult.

I can cope with high doses maybe cos I'm a big bloke. But I know others find these doses difficult. However, I can't cope with even very low doses of amitriptalene (spelled wrong!) but others find it very useful to help with sleeping.

Whatever doses or drugs you use should be discussed and approved by your medic practitioner anyway.

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Army183 gave a good reply--dosage varies by person. I also understand that the dosage may need to be adjusted over time. When I was diagnosed a year ago I was started on the lowest dose possible. My neurologist wanted me to STAY on the lowest dose I could tolerate in order to avoid immediate or long-term side effects. 
  • Posted

Forgot to say, don't suddenly stop Tegretol if you're feeling better or pain is much reduced, because there is a risk of you having a seizure - reduce the dose gradually over several days.

Keep safe

Big D

• Posted

Hi, as others have already said it does vary from person to person

and also to some extent how you cope with the side effects. I am on

400mg 4 times a day of tegretol with awful side effects. I am on

75-100mg of amitriptyline too which I take in one dose at night to help me

get through the night. It's now 4am so it's not doing that job! The Tegratol

used to help at first but as the time has gone on and the periods of

remission got shorter with the attacks lasting longer it doesn't seem to be

as effective. I tried Lyrica and pregbalin(cant remains how to spell it!)

but within 48 hours I was suicidal and felt dreadful. Hope that helps to

answer your question.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.