Skip to content

in this discussion +12 following Follow this discussion

Dosage of Zopiclone?

I am interested what dosage of Zopiclone other users (especially long term users) are prescribed, as I am a concerned daughter whose 65 year old mother is very addicted to this drug. She has taken various drugs for insomnia and depression for a very long time, the lastest being Zopiclone for the last two years, she takes 250mg a night (5 x 50mg), which I think is far too high a dosage.

She has severe side effects like slurring and memory problems, and her drowsiness the next day can sometimes be so bad she is incoherent, and has now fallen on several occasions. I am worried for her safety and would appreciate some feedback on the dosage other people with experience of this drug are on.

Report Share
Support this with a vote 1

18 Replies

Ignore my 1st thread, put the wrong dosage of Zopiclone see below:-

I am interested what dosage of Zopiclone other users (especially long term users) are prescribed, as I am a concerned daughter whose 65 year old mother is very addicted to this drug. She has taken various drugs for insomnia and depression for a very long time, the lastest being Zopiclone for the last two years, she takes 22.5mg a night (3 x 7.5mg), as well as 250mg Amitripiline.

She has severe side effects like slurring and memory problems, and her drowsiness the next day can sometimes be so bad she is incoherent, and has now fallen on several occasions. I am worried for her safety and would appreciate some feedback on the dosage other people with experience of this drug are on.

0 votes Report Share reply to Guest

I cannot believe what I am reading on these experiences. It says in the leaflet to start elderly on 3.75mg and increase to double if necessary...not more than that. sad You must do something for your mum. I have been on them 2 months and am getting scared. I do not sleep if I do not take..so if I stop..then what? And at least I slept some before I started...I should have been satisfied with the small ammount I got. Best wishes.

Many Thanks for your reply. My mum thinks she is ok because she is prepared to put up with the bad side effects as long as she gets a fairly decent nights sleep, but I feel this will only get worse.

I have spoken to her doctor regarding my concerns, and will again because although with my mum's drug taking history she is probably quite hard to treat, I feel the doctors need to take more responsiblity and after reading about peoples personal experiences about the drug, I am seeing it from another perspective and not just what my mum tells me, but it does convince me that this is a potentially a dangerous drug.

Many Thanks

Zopliclone and Amtriptiline is a very very dangerous combination. Both have sedative affects and relax the body. Too much relaxation could lead to her swallowing her tongue or something more sinister. I know this was posted in Jan... but I cannot believe what I am reading. I started on 7.5mg of Zopiclone and was increased to 15mg. But now after only 3 weeks on it, I seem to be taking 22.5mg of it. The affects do not bother me aslong as I get sleep. I can symphathise with your mother, but taking both drugs? Even if Amtrip is an antidepressant, it's used more as a painkiller now-a-days. My dad takes it to stop his knee hurting.

My advice, if it's still a problem. Get her to the doctors. It's definately not good. 22.5mg is far too high. It's actually classed as Overdosing. According to the leaflet that comes with Zopiclone, the max dosage is 15mg. and Elderly patients should be on 3.25mg to be increased as needed which is half a 7.5mg tablet. 22.5 for her is too much. Far far too much.

• ben95918

I am a 40 year old man, who recently had a Heart Attack. I Told the Doctor I was afraid of Sleeping since, in case I woke up dead, and I have been Prescribed Zopiclone. I dont thonk I have an addictive Receptor for it, but I do use around 50 mg a Day, especially when I have no Valium, which I use for Daytime Anxiety. I dont feel any funny side effects.

0 votes Report Share reply to ben95918

• charlotte18821 db1

I'm aware this was over a year ago but am shocked that your mother was prescribed that. Incredibly irresponsible of the doctor and you should consider taking her elsewhere. That is a very dangerous combination and both high dosages. I have tried amitryptalin and zopiclone but zopiclone is addictive and I only use it when I need it and certainly not at that dose. Suggest to her doctor quetiapin. It will calm her during the day and then at night she will sleep well. She is going to have to be weaned off zopiclone and go through withdraw. Quetiapin is non habit forming and non addictive and used during the day and at night

0 votes Report Share reply to charlotte18821

• danbes db1

If your mom hasn't already tried it,I suggest you check with your doctor about her using an anti-depressent called Trazadone, which I took for quite a whiile to combat insomnia. Took a few days to work, but then worked almost like magic, with almost no morning after wooziness.  The best, Dan

0 votes Report Share reply to danbes

• smcg3182 db1

OMG .... 250mg is a massive dose!! I was on 7.5mg for about 10yrs. I felt as if they were turning me into a zombie. They had even stopped helping me sleep.

I had a kind of drug hangover in the mornings. My thinking was less sharp, my memory was shocking, I was tired all the time and my joy for life was gone.

My choice was to increase the dose or dump the pills and try to sleep naturally. It was difficult, as I was ill with withdrawal symptoms for a week, but I ditched the zopiclone.

Five weeks later.... I am alert, lucid and more positive. I feel happy to be alive. I won't lie... I do still lie awake some nights, but I'm ok. I am glad I am drug free.

I was on zopiclone as a result of depression and stress from long-term illness and bereavement.

Like me, your mother won't realise she's addicted to the pills, after all, her gp prescribed them. She won't see how she's changed... She just thinks she's unwell, getting older and slowing down.

I can not understand how she functions at all on such a high dose. I actually am surprised that she's still alive!!

Please speak to your doctor and,seek advice. I think you are right to be concerned.

Best of luck to you. X

0 votes Report Share reply to smcg3182

• smcg3182 db1

OMG .... 250mg is a massive dose!! I was on 7.5mg for about 10yrs. I felt as if they were turning me into a zombie. They had even stopped helping me sleep.

I had a kind of drug hangover in the mornings. My thinking was less sharp, my memory was shocking, I was tired all the time and my joy for life was gone.

My choice was to increase the dose or dump the pills and try to sleep naturally. It was difficult, as I was ill with withdrawal symptoms for a week, but I ditched the zopiclone.

Five weeks later.... I am alert, lucid and more positive. I feel happy to be alive. I won't lie... I do still lie awake some nights, but I'm ok. I am glad I am drug free.

I was on zopiclone as a result of depression and stress from long-term illness and bereavement.

Like me, your mother won't realise she's addicted to the pills, after all, her gp prescribed them. She won't see how she's changed... She just thinks she's unwell, getting older and slowing down.

I can not understand how she functions at all on such a high dose. I actually am surprised that she's still alive!!

Please speak to your doctor and,seek advice. I think you are right to be concerned.

Best of luck to you. X

• smcg3182 db1

Sorry.... I have posted my initial reply twice. I hadn't seen your correction of the dosage.

However, I still stand by by concerns. The effect of the combination of drugs that she has is potentially fatal.

I'm not medically trained but all that I have read causes alarm bells to ring.

Your biggest obstacle in this will probably be your mum herself. If she's 'happy' with her medication, there's not a lit you can do. X

• ruth93165 db1

The highest that I was ever on was 3 7.5 tablets which was prescribed by my psychiatrist and this was considered the highest safe dose. How is your mother obtaining this large amount of tablets? No under doctor would prescribe this amount. I eventually started abusing zoplicone and doctor shopping which I did for about a decade. If your mother is addicted she will likely not want to give up this medication. She might have to be hospitalized to undergo aa supervised taper. Perhaps try speaking with her doctor.

0 votes Report Share reply to ruth93165

• sakarias1337 db1

Hey, i don't know how i found this thread but i just had to make an account to reply to it. 22.5 MG of Zopiclone is not dangerous AT ALL. 

i've eaten dosages as high as 100 MG. it does make you a bit funny (High really)

its even hard to OD on these tabblets, i mean really really hard! it could never happen by misstake (that is if you don't like to take 500-1000 MG per time or so lol)

but anyway, Zopiclone is not Physically adictive as Smoking or Benzodiazepins.

they are ''Psycholigy'' addictive.

but there's nothign to worry about any Longterm Physical Damage.

0 votes Report Share reply to sakarias1337

• Davesoapbox db1

Hi there,

The book says zopiclone dosed at 7.5mg trouble is these are designated short term use only because they are addictive and people quickly become accustomed to them, I'm supposed to be on 7.5mg at night to help me sleep, in now in bed and feel drowsy I have had 22.5mg, I use them in the day because I find them better than diazepam. And I'm sure when my psych finds out next Thursday I will be taken off them oh well

0 votes Report Share reply to Davesoapbox

• sarah61989 db1

Hey - has your mum tried "Restavit"? It's an over the counter sleep drug here in down under. It does make you drowsy in the day though I find. But you could try a tiny dose. We also have it here as a combination OTC: paracetamol codeine doxylamine succinate. The other thing I use for sleep is Travel calm - the stuff for sea sickness, but make sure you don't get the one with caffeine in it (even though that's the one I use to put me to sleep because I use zopiclone during the day).

I'm 29 and I've been taking 7.5 tablets of zopiclone for several years, it's been a MIRACLE drug.

I was depressed/ had severe c-PTSD from age 8-21, tried to kill myself several times, one of which I survived by mere chance which traumatises me to this day.

My long term stress led me to a chronic pain disorder (fibromyalgia, sciatica and lots of muscular-skeletal pain not just in the joints but just about everywhere), and severe leg craps at night, despite having no organic cause that any xray/ MRI/ bone scan/ blood test etc could find. 

I was prescribed Zopicone 7.5mg for insomnia due to leg cramps but it soon stopped working. For about 5 years the combination of 2.5mg Endone (Oxycodone) and 7.5 zopiclone helped my pain like nothing else. It also gave me an amazing amount of motivation, energy, confidence and belief in myself.

Two years ago I moved house and I had a relapse, developed chronic fatigue, job problems, etc.. and yeah I pretty much have a drug problem now, but I'm trying to control it so I can keep taking around 3-4 tablets a day which my doc know about. I've tried every anti-depressant, anti-psychotic, nerve pain drug, benzos, and a million vitamins-  you name it, I've tried it. Imovane and my very expensive physio = life is good.

Point being, if someone told me it would reduce my life expectancy by 10 or 20 years... I'm not sure I wouldn't still be worth it.

0 votes Report Share reply to sarah61989

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

Share this

Forums Terms & Conditions | Help & Frequently Asked Questions