Dosage of Zopiclone?

Posted , 33 users are following.

I am interested what dosage of Zopiclone other users (especially long term users) are prescribed, as I am a concerned daughter whose 65 year old mother is very addicted to this drug. She has taken various drugs for insomnia and depression for a very long time, the lastest being Zopiclone for the last two years, she takes 250mg a night (5 x 50mg), which I think is far too high a dosage.

She has severe side effects like slurring and memory problems, and her drowsiness the next day can sometimes be so bad she is incoherent, and has now fallen on several occasions. I am worried for her safety and would appreciate some feedback on the dosage other people with experience of this drug are on.

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm aware this was over a year ago but am shocked that your mother was prescribed that. Incredibly irresponsible of the doctor and you should consider taking her elsewhere. That is a very dangerous combination and both high dosages. I have tried amitryptalin and zopiclone but zopiclone is addictive and I only use it when I need it and certainly not at that dose. Suggest to her doctor quetiapin. It will calm her during the day and then at night she will sleep well. She is going to have to be weaned off zopiclone and go through withdraw. Quetiapin is non habit forming and non addictive and used during the day and at night
  • Posted

If your mom hasn't already tried it,I suggest you check with your doctor about her using an anti-depressent called Trazadone, which I took for quite a whiile to combat insomnia. Took a few days to work, but then worked almost like magic, with almost no morning after wooziness.  The best, Dan
  • Posted

OMG .... 250mg is a massive dose!! I was on 7.5mg for about 10yrs. I felt as if they were turning me into a zombie. They had even stopped helping me sleep.

I had a kind of drug hangover in the mornings. My thinking was less sharp, my memory was shocking, I was tired all the time and my joy for life was gone.

My choice was to increase the dose or dump the pills and try to sleep naturally. It was difficult, as I was ill with withdrawal symptoms for a week, but I ditched the zopiclone.

Five weeks later.... I am alert, lucid and more positive. I feel happy to be alive. I won't lie... I do still lie awake some nights, but I'm ok. I am glad I am drug free.

I was on zopiclone as a result of depression and stress from long-term illness and bereavement.

Like me, your mother won't realise she's addicted to the pills, after all, her gp prescribed them. She won't see how she's changed... She just thinks she's unwell, getting older and slowing down.

I can not understand how she functions at all on such a high dose. I actually am surprised that she's still alive!!

Please speak to your doctor and,seek advice. I think you are right to be concerned.

Best of luck to you. X

• Posted

OMG .... 250mg is a massive dose!! I was on 7.5mg for about 10yrs. I felt as if they were turning me into a zombie. They had even stopped helping me sleep.

I had a kind of drug hangover in the mornings. My thinking was less sharp, my memory was shocking, I was tired all the time and my joy for life was gone.

My choice was to increase the dose or dump the pills and try to sleep naturally. It was difficult, as I was ill with withdrawal symptoms for a week, but I ditched the zopiclone.

Five weeks later.... I am alert, lucid and more positive. I feel happy to be alive. I won't lie... I do still lie awake some nights, but I'm ok. I am glad I am drug free.

I was on zopiclone as a result of depression and stress from long-term illness and bereavement.

Like me, your mother won't realise she's addicted to the pills, after all, her gp prescribed them. She won't see how she's changed... She just thinks she's unwell, getting older and slowing down.

I can not understand how she functions at all on such a high dose. I actually am surprised that she's still alive!!

Please speak to your doctor and,seek advice. I think you are right to be concerned.

Best of luck to you. X

• Posted

Sorry.... I have posted my initial reply twice. I hadn't seen your correction of the dosage.

However, I still stand by by concerns. The effect of the combination of drugs that she has is potentially fatal.

I'm not medically trained but all that I have read causes alarm bells to ring.

Your biggest obstacle in this will probably be your mum herself. If she's 'happy' with her medication, there's not a lit you can do. X

• Posted

cant be taking that much as only come in 3.75mg and 7.5 mg.

• Posted

The highest that I was ever on was 3 7.5 tablets which was prescribed by my psychiatrist and this was considered the highest safe dose. How is your mother obtaining this large amount of tablets? No under doctor would prescribe this amount. I eventually started abusing zoplicone and doctor shopping which I did for about a decade. If your mother is addicted she will likely not want to give up this medication. She might have to be hospitalized to undergo aa supervised taper. Perhaps try speaking with her doctor.
  • Posted

Hey, i don't know how i found this thread but i just had to make an account to reply to it. 22.5 MG of Zopiclone is not dangerous AT ALL. 

i've eaten dosages as high as 100 MG. it does make you a bit funny (High really)

its even hard to OD on these tabblets, i mean really really hard! it could never happen by misstake (that is if you don't like to take 500-1000 MG per time or so lol)

but anyway, Zopiclone is not Physically adictive as Smoking or Benzodiazepins.

they are ''Psycholigy'' addictive.

but there's nothign to worry about any Longterm Physical Damage.

• Posted

Hi there,

The book says zopiclone dosed at 7.5mg trouble is these are designated short term use only because they are addictive and people quickly become accustomed to them, I'm supposed to be on 7.5mg at night to help me sleep, in now in bed and feel drowsy I have had 22.5mg, I use them in the day because I find them better than diazepam. And I'm sure when my psych finds out next Thursday I will be taken off them oh well

• Posted

Hey dave did u get something sorted for using zop in the day? I also use them during the day
  • Posted

Hey - has your mum tried "Restavit"? It's an over the counter sleep drug here in down under. It does make you drowsy in the day though I find. But you could try a tiny dose. We also have it here as a combination OTC: paracetamol codeine doxylamine succinate. The other thing I use for sleep is Travel calm - the stuff for sea sickness, but make sure you don't get the one with caffeine in it (even though that's the one I use to put me to sleep because I use zopiclone during the day).

I'm 29 and I've been taking 7.5 tablets of zopiclone for several years, it's been a MIRACLE drug.

I was depressed/ had severe c-PTSD from age 8-21, tried to kill myself several times, one of which I survived by mere chance which traumatises me to this day.

My long term stress led me to a chronic pain disorder (fibromyalgia, sciatica and lots of muscular-skeletal pain not just in the joints but just about everywhere), and severe leg craps at night, despite having no organic cause that any xray/ MRI/ bone scan/ blood test etc could find. 

I was prescribed Zopicone 7.5mg for insomnia due to leg cramps but it soon stopped working. For about 5 years the combination of 2.5mg Endone (Oxycodone) and 7.5 zopiclone helped my pain like nothing else. It also gave me an amazing amount of motivation, energy, confidence and belief in myself.

Two years ago I moved house and I had a relapse, developed chronic fatigue, job problems, etc.. and yeah I pretty much have a drug problem now, but I'm trying to control it so I can keep taking around 3-4 tablets a day which my doc know about. I've tried every anti-depressant, anti-psychotic, nerve pain drug, benzos, and a million vitamins-  you name it, I've tried it. Imovane and my very expensive physio = life is good.

Point being, if someone told me it would reduce my life expectancy by 10 or 20 years... I'm not sure I wouldn't still be worth it.

• Posted

sarah61989 my story is so similar to yours

been thru a lot of what you have my only difference is I ended up with fibromyalgia 1st off then went thru all the trials n tribulations as you did

I also did too survive 4 yrs ago this June

I was on zopiclone 15mg for about 6 months and take a single doze 7.5mg during the day I eventually was also prescribed trazadone 50mg and used that to get off of the zopiclone now I only use it when I go thru stressful times which bring me terrible nightmares omg they would be amazing movies but during those nightmares I can hurt myself in trying to get away from the danger

anyways my point I trying to get to is I currently going thru a stressful life situation once again and my fibro pain is so bad and I cannot find any meds that will help with the pain getting opiates is next to impossible these days where I live (canada) due to high levels of overdoses in our cities almost 1000 in the past year due to street dealers lacing fentanyl with other opiates and illegal drugs

How is your fibro these days and do u have your pain managed could you share your cocktail of meds if u please

I have tried all the obvious Lyrica Cymbalta ampitrpylin gabapenten

I am beginning to have bad thoughts again and want those out of my head this pain is starting to control me and I want me back so any updates u have I would love to hear

sorry for the rambling and I hope this finds you well and in a good place thanks in advance

• Posted

I am replying to this post to let others know that recent studies have shown that a high inflammatory response due to an over active autoimmune system response results in high levels of cytokines in the blood that can be the cause of depression and not the effect.  I had always thought that the physical symptoms were the result of prolonged stress resulting in PTSD.  I have been trying a low Carb(Keto) diet to reduce my cytoklines and have found that I don't have the muscle and joint pain I have experienced in the past.  So far I have not seen an improvement in my mood but have only tried the diet for a couple months.

• Posted

I see this is really old just checking in to see if you sorted your mum out. Hope all is well xx
  • Posted

None of us can really comment properly as we dont know if it part of palliative care,while 22.5 may seem high to us,im sure the dr knows the patients history,im prescribed 40mg on Diazepam (5mgs,as i find it very rare a Dr will prescribe 10mg tablets these days,the excuse is 'incase you sell them' im sure if you were,the buyer wouldnt care if they 2mg,5mg,10mg) for daytime and for sleep i get 1 7.5 and 1 3.75 of Zopiclone,as i always wake around 4am,and found i couldnt get back to sleep,so i take the 3.75 when i wake,and gets me through until 7.30 ish,ive tried Temaz,Nitraz and find they dont make sleepy at all just 'relaxed',I was prescribed Temazepam 25 years ago,and slept right through on 30mg,but they then stopped the Gel ones,stopped the 30mg and changed the recipe (its 100% not my tolerance)-shame as they worked great-the only thing that comes close now is Rohypnol,but your more likely to win the Lotto than have a normal GP prescribe you that,but if you go private it seems 'money talks' and they will prescribe,same with Xanax (alprozolam),by far the best for anxiety,but not prescribed on the NHS,i got them privately but just couldnt keep up with the costs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.