Double ALIF now going for more surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Evening all,

I am now just over 6 months post double ALIF surgery at L4-S1. Had my check up yesterday and I've to have further surgery. While the fuse is healing well, I am still in a lot of pain when I extend my lumbar spine. Flexion is ok, limited movement but not painful, uncomfortable is more accurate.

I was scanned and had x-rays completed at the check up and both show bad arthritis in the two vertebrae I had fused. The bone spurs at the back side of the spine are crumbling, rubbing away and creating inflammation resulting in a build up of fluid at the base of my back.

So, he's going back in via a posterior route this time to add rods and screws to shore up the fuse. At least it's keyhole this time so hopefully a faster recovery.

Anyone else had further surgery after anterior fuse??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do people find back surgery to be successful ? I keep on being told by GP's an orthopedic surgeons not to let anyone operate as they will make it worse unless they are a neurosurgeon.

• Posted

I had the opposite. I'm going into my 4th op. 3 will have been done by an Ortho surgeon and one by Neuro. The one that failed was by the Neuro. My ortho guy is superb.

As for being successful it depends on how messed up your back is and what you believe to be a successful outcome. I'll never have the back of my younger years again but the first op I had (ortho L5/S1 Disctomey) was a total success. 4.5 years of pain free Sport and normality till L4-L5 went and the Neuro surgery failed. Hence I had a double fusion and now going in to get further scaffolding around the fuse.

• Posted

Hi Scott

I have not. I wanted to encourage you. Surgery takes a lot out of you. Remember it takes time for all of the drugs to cycle out of your system.

Take your time to fully recover. And know that your will always find support here.

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.