Double Bunionectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

I am going in for a double Bunionectomy and all toes straightening on each foot !

anyone out there had the same ???.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Good luck, all at the same time? Osteotomy on both feet together okay but all toes straighten as well is brave! I don't think I would recommend that, but keep me up dated!
    • Posted

Thanks Susan,

the more I read the more frightened I get ,,,,,,,!

• Posted

Have you asked your surgeon about what exactly he is going to do and what you have to expect after the operation and how long for? I know that some is very individual with regards to recovery, but how long will you be of your feet and how long before you back in comfortable shoes etc. Surely you have spoken to him about all that. What is the medication after the operation, pain control??? All important questions you should by now know about.
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

i have spoken about all these things with him.

off my feet for 6 weeks, 4/6 months to be in shoes and more comfortable.

Scary lengh of time but I am at home, have my husband to look after me and because of another medical condition I have copious amounts of Oramorph as well !!!!

originally he wanted to do one at a time but I felt that I wouldn't go back for number 2.

He then said that he would be happy to do them together.

i will keep you updated.

Really nervous 

• Posted

Hi Roybn. I have posted re my recent double bunion op.  Think your sensible having both done.  Read my bits if you want and ask anything you like.   Lynette
    • Posted

Hi Lynette, a double osteotomy is pretty normal these days, but to have all toes straightened as well, is very different to yours. To straighten toes means again cutting bone and inserting wire to stabilise. So Robyn be of her feet much longer than you have been. My friend had a double osteotomy and unlike you, she was back in her office in the evening sorting staff out. She took no time off work, but having said, she  runs a hotel, so she sat most of the time giving orders. I suppose that helped :-))))

• Posted

Hi yep sure is a bigger op. I had both bunions and second toes done.   It's the pins that extend the recovery.  Mine is six weeks no weight baring.  Not been a problem though.   

Your friend did well but I would advice anyone to stick to the recommendations      I could have gone back to my clinical work but my surgeon said I would cause problems for later.  So back to the sofa and my books  for me I'm afraid :-)

• Posted

Hi Lynette, she had keyhole surgery, and there you can weightbare straight after the operation. Unfortunately not available on the NHS but with private cover. And of course no marathon to be run during the first 4 weeks!! Enjoy your books and hope you have a slave to pamper you a bit :-))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.