Down in the dumps

Posted , 26 users are following.

afternoon hippies and hippies to be! This post comes with a major bad mood warning,

im feeling so fed up today, since my op, my so called loved ones don't seem to care/ realise what we are going through on this forum!

i was doing well, day 3 at a wedding etc, but today is my birthday, my partner has well done nothing to make me feel good about myself!  Yes he has asked my girls who are 16/18yrs old to come for a meal, but they just don't get it! He keeps trying to get me to have pain meds, but I don't need them, I'm not in pain I'm just fed up that I can't shower, bath, sleep more than 4 hrs, sit without moving every 10 mins and him saying where you going now! He just don't get it! go anywhere without my toilet seat, cushions, he wanted to eat out the other day when I ventured out shopping, and looked at me funny when I said no, as we hadn't brought my aids shopping! 

At this moment in time, I wished I was at work with my pre op pain, he wouldn't even talk about my op much either, saying I've read too much on the Internet! I honestly think he so un educated on this "minor op" I've had!!

im so sorry to moan at you all, all I'm doing is crying! 

Linzi x

6 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We have all been there, graham actually got fed up of me keep going on about my hip and as for my daughter she isn't very sympathetic I bet tomorrow you will have a better day also A VERY VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY XXXX
  • Posted

I'm 3 months out and my husband acted the same way and still does. He and my sister-in-law heled me out tremendously for the 2 months but now they think I should be up doing cartwheels. It's still uncomfortable to walk, sit, sleep etc. but they just don't get it.

I know it gets very discouraging at times but just know that you're not alone and you found the best website to help you get through this.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Linzi,

i know now exactly how you're feeling. My loved ones never really got it at the start either....my Mum did as she's had both hers replaced, but hubby expected me to be pinged back into full health after a few weeks! And I got fed up of the "oh you must be able to do more now" and " surely you should be walking better than that" commemts👿

im over five months post op now and still get pain at my incision, but the leg is really good. The other one is playing up big style now and is due for replacement in the next month or so-can't wait to be fully normal again. But this time around, I know my loved ones and workmates will realise exactly what I'm going through as they have seen me at my lowest (crying in shops, unable to climb stairs, hobbling etc despite having a new hip!)

Hang in there and maybe let your loved ones see posts on here and on the Favebook forums (if you're a member)-that really helped my hubby get it....big hugs.

sx 

• Posted

Hi Shivuk

I had pain along my incision - some great hands on physiotherapy massage broke down the tissue scar and I am totally pain free there now. It took 3 sessions and meant I could sleep on that side. Whooppee. Definitely something I would happily pay for this time round and asap.

• Posted

Hey, don't be fed up, I know it's hard to begin with but things do get better,  maybe get them to watch the op on u tube then they will realise what you have been through.

your doing great a wedding on day three, that's brilliant, you should be able to shower soon I showered on day 8 as stitches had dissolved and would had healed nicely.

lastly HAPPY BIRTHDAY, 🎂🎈🎁💐🎉🍸 xx

• Posted

Why can't you shower? Do you have a shower cubicle or over the bath one
    • Posted

Over the bath, plus I have another 4/7 days before my dressing comes off x
  • Posted

Hey there  Lirnz

Join the Sunday blues club. Do you remember the baby blues? Well we get them post operatively and I have had them both times round.

My loving son is not around so I am dependent on the much more rugged nursing of my husband and 18 yr old daughter, both of whom I have loved and waited on hand and foot as I have not been able to work for a long time. There does not appear to be anything reciprocal at the moment - right?

Well my sister in law spelled it out to me. Spell it out to them. Write down what you need on a daily basis and get them to run to that list. Slowly my lot are getting better at this - so to go to bed i need ..... So when I get up I need.... To make a good recovery I need lots of protein and leafy greens like brocolli. LEAVE NOTHING to intuition. 

Ask your partner to do one thing for you - watch a THR on youtube. Pick a vrey complete film. The hip is the deepest part of the body and to get to it you have to cut through lots of muscles and tendons and then reattach them. So theres lots of internal healing going on and they reckon its a whole year before your body full recovers. He is making a common mistake that many do - THR is now done a lot - so it may be common place but it is not a minor operation. Also for younger folk the impact is much greater than for older folk on your day to day activities.

Try not to follow my speciality of shouting and weeping as it does not work. Just keep napping if necessary and understand that on special days like birthdays insensitivities you would normally shrug off hurt more. I came out of hospital a week ago and have just found out my husband is away for 7 nights, so I know where you are coming from, believe me.

Take care, rest, and dont try to meet others expectations of your recovery. Take your time, listen to your body. This recovery period is vital to the long term success. I lie upright on the sofa as the saples dig in otherwise if I use a chair.

Order yourself a dress on line today maybe as a birthday treat.

I just did that - there are loads in the sale and a maxi dress which goes over your head is a great feminine way to dress easily- straight over the head and hide those bloomin stockings. Its also a great way to go commando and take knicker pressure out of the picture

Last of all I am Warbling Happy Birthday to You at the top of my Very UnTuneful voice. Enjoy your day and, to nick a daft quote from a play, "Sod the pudding club" - whatever that is supposed to mean lol

• Posted

Hello!

Sorry to hear re lack of support. My partner is also medical so she understands...

Maybe we need a forum for partners of hippies...It ain't always be easy for them, l guess.

Mic

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.