doxazosin and bladder problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I have had high blood pressure for 30+years ,I am 70 .It was well controlled on 2 x 25 mg atenolol plus 2.5mg bendroflumethazide for years .This last year it has gone a bit haywire Bottom line usually good ,top averages at 168 but is usually about 153- 180 .GP added felodopine then ramipril neither of which agreed with me ,Now this 3/4 months doxazosin ,Firstly 1mg daily ,then 2mg then 4 mg .Because of bladder problems I am back to 2 mg and waiting for a gp apppointent (4 weeks here),I can be bursting to go to loo and sit 10 minutes waiting to go,I go many times day and night ,I have an odour down there ,Anyone else ? Can I just stop it cutting down to 1mg the off it as a month is a long wait Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz, your post grabbed my attention, the reason being that after many months on Doxazosin 2mg I developed the most horrendous itch from head to toe and scratched myself to pieces drawing blood day and night and a skin biopsy pointed to the Doxazosin combined with the Losartan, and the Doxazosin was stopped over a month ago.  Suddenly a few days ago, I became aware of a sudden urgency for the loo, mainly from late evening and all through the night, on the first night getting up every hour and just about making the loo!  Knowing that Doxazosin is sometimes prescribed for bladder problems in men, I have been wondering if my problem is actually due to withdrawing from Doxazosin.  I have had a severe chest virus/infection with barking cough for the last couple of weeks and a couple of my friends similarly inflicted have said that they have experienced urgency with 'accidents' during this virus.  I'm also wondering if doubling my dose of Losartan due to stopping the Doxazosin might be the cause in my case (I'm taking the second Losartan dose in the evening) and the problem seems to start after that.

If I were you, I would ring the GP surgery at 8am in the morning and ask for either an emergency appointment that day or a telephone call from a GP.  I would not wait 4 weeks, and it isn't right to just stop the medication without speaking to the GP.  It might simply be that you have a urine infection, and this should not be left for another 4 weeks - by the way, with this in mind, when you do have your appointment, take a specimen with you.  Good luck.

• Posted

I tried doxasosin and the first thing I noticed was the need to go to th loo. At night it drove me mad. They apparently give it to men who have peeing problems with their prostrate so no wonder us girls react like this to it. There are many BNP drugs so keep trying different ones until you find one that suits you. We all react differently. I  have changed 5 times and still not happy with side effects. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.