Doxazosin caused me sexual dysfunction for 8 months. Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Took drug call doxazosin, which is a generic for Cadura. Was taking it to help me urinate better. I did not have beign Hyperplasia. Just was prescribed this drug to help me urinate better. It has cause me lack of orgasm. Lack of libido for 8 months. I believe it is permanent. These antihypertensive drugs cause sexual dysfunction, but they are suppose to clear up after you stop taking them, but my side effects have not gone away. This drug is used also for hypertension. Alpha 1 beta blockers relaxes smooth muscle, by inhibit the alpha 1 receptors from receiving neurotransmitters epinephrine, and norepinephrine, in smooth muscle which causes smooth muscles to relax. In other words it interferes with nerve impulses. It is called a Alpha 1 antagonist . I need anything that can do the opposite of what this drug has done to me. Basically a drug that is a Alpha 1 agonist(activates alpha 1receptors I think) I am totally sexually dysfunctionable. My urologist says there is nothing that ca be done but wait. I have taken nothing. If anyone knows how to reverse what these antihypertention drugs do(causing sexual side effects) please get in touch with me. Please help if you have any advice anything that has helped you recover from what these drugs can do to some men.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello . Unfortunately I think am having same problem with Doxasosin

Will let you know of any remedies . Maybe you will do same ?

Regards

John

• Posted

Hello john02316! With ED, tamsulosin also caused me other side effects that won't go away! 2.5 years ago i stopped using that drug and i am still fighting with symptoms. Loss od libido, constipation, stuffy and runny nose, nausea, muscle and joint pain. How are you doing now? Is there anything that helps? Maybe we can help to each other. I have been to so many doctors...none of them managed to help me..half of them don't even belive me!! Sad, sad story with that drug

• Posted

Hi Neven,

It's interesting that you mentioned constipation because i had never read about that sympton but might explain why ive got problems.  I've been on tamsulosin for over 10 years and dutasteride for a total of some 2 years. Pooney explains how the drugs affect the smooth muscles which would affect the colon and intestines. I've stopped taking both tamsulosin and dutasteride four months ago and hope that my constipation improves in time.

I also read that one of the drugs can cause fatty liver.

They are both powerful pills and I wish someone could provide a ''vitamin C'' solution to BPH.

• Posted

John I messaged you awhile back, but the moderator deleted my post. I was wondering the same thing with you . It has been 6 months since you send me that message. Like I said, it was deleted. My question is the same. How you found or heard of anything that man address this issue, that we are both having(Sexual dysfunction, because of this drug)?
  • Posted

Hello pooney67! With ED, tamsulosin also caused me other side effects that won't go away! 2.5 years ago i stopped using that drug and i am still fighting with symptoms. Loss od libido, constipation, stuffy and runny nose, nausea, muscle and joint pain. How are you doing now? Is there anything that helps? I have been to so many doctors...none of them managed to help me..half of them don't even belive me!! Sad, sad story with that drug.

• Posted

Nothing has helped for me....Yeah, my doctors doesn't know about the danger of this medicine also. It should be taken off the market... It has been more than 2 years now for me also... I have resigned myself that it is permanent. I have lost of pleasure/loss of libido. I am a diabetic to. I tried  electro stimulation(using electicity(a ten's like device(it is suppose to be safe) to try to stimulate the nerves in my Penis. A ten's machine stimulates the nerves and increase blood flow , but that made me more impotent when I did that. I could not get a full erection because of my diabetes before i tried this medicine(Tamouslin). So I really am worse off(after using the electricty) I am now about to purchase a herb called forkolin.. This medicine effects nerves and causes a overproduction of Nitric Oxide. It is nerves that produce nitric oxide. So what I am going to try is a herb, that stimulates nerves in the penis also. . There has been abstracts done on this herbal compound,and it helps the nerves produce more Nitric Oxide, and it stimulates the nerves in the penis.  Here is a article that speaks about it at this website: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/researchers_uncover_biochemical_chain_of_events_needed_to_maintain_an_erection ;    Again,the herb is called forskolin. It can be purchased over the internet. In the article I don't know if it is to be ingested or in is injected(Into the penis) but it is real cheap. A lot of drugs are nothing but chemicalized herbs anyway. 

I know for a fact that this medicine damages penile nerves in the penis. because when I did the electo stimulation on my penis. I got ulcers on my Penis. The kind of ulcers that diabetics get on their feet ...It is the same kind of ulcer. It is unheard of for diabetics to get ulcers on their penis. Diabetics generally get ulcers on their penis. Diabetic ulcers are caused by lack of blood flow.  They usually occur on your feet. That practice(Electro stimulation) is safe. It is use as i said to build up nerves and increase blood flow(It is a low voltage. You use a 9 volt battery so it is not high enough voltage to do any damage) ....So when I got diabetic ulcer on my penis. I knew for a fact that tamouslin damages nerves of the Penis for men, Why? because nerves control blood flow. So since I had been using electro stimulation for years before I took tamouslin(with no problems) and after i took Tamouslin, and started experiencing the sexual dysfunction, and then  I came down with the ulcers(After using the eletro stimulation), that means that drug re-modified the nerves in the penis. Tamolisin  does this by inhibited nerve transmission with the alpha beta cells in smooth muscle. It does this by attaching itself to nerve receptors to block them from communicating with one another. I believe in some men. The receptors that it blocks stay block and it does not reattach itself from the receptors(In some men) when they stop taking the medicine... so when those nerves in me were stimulated with electricity it furthered damaged them, because I believed they were still blocked(or modified in some way by Tamouslin for the last 2 years). So when the nerves were stimulated with electricity it short circuited them more(because Tamouslin is still blocking the receptors or the drug has remodified the nerves in some way  so they cannot communicate effectively as they once did)  with the added electricity the nerves short circuted. So since the nerves also control blood flow  so the blood flow was inhibited more, because the nerves were damaged more, Therefore I got ulcers on my penis(Which as I said is unheard of in diabetics) All diabetics have blood flow problems but mostly as i said get ulcers only on their feet.. Diabetes causes that. , but   my nerves were more  damaged initially by diabetes(because that is what diabetes does, then by tamouslin(because it damaged nerves that is responsible for blood flow) and when I added electricity(I furthered damaged the nerves(which effects blood flow) which caused me ulcers on my penis. I couldn't get a full erection since 2009(When I was diagnosed with diabetes). Now I am worse . I can barley get a semblance of a erection, and it i soft. and only with masturbation,  So that is what  I am going to try(The herb) If you try it I hope it helps you

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story! I just got results from SSEP- n, tibialis and pudendalis. There are lesions on my neuronal pathway. I remember i read somewhere that tamsulosin caused lesions to some, but i can t find it now. Now, i think that is the main cause of my problems. I was completly healty before i used tamsulosin so all my suspect goes in that direction. I have to wait my neurologist to come back from vacation to clarify the results i got. I think next step is MRI of hole body to confirm it. I will get back to you with more info after 15.8. Also, good and strong suplement for you would be alfa lipoic acid. And, it doesn t has to be permanent, be positive about that, recovery from dutasteride lasts median 40 months, and 20 % people have permanent damage, one study said..
    • Posted

Hey neven47530. Thanks, I am glad I could be of help. Neven, please, please, please if you would be so kind, please get back in touch with me when you get some time.  Could you explain to me what you mean when you say," I just got results from SSEP- n, tibialis and pudendalis. There are lesions on my neuronal pathway" are you saying that this drug tamsulosin, can cause lesions on a persons brain(The nerves in the brain? The neuronal pathway's in the brain, and all over the body?....You said that you needed a MRI of you whole body to confirm the lesions that you got(You think) from Tamsuloin, but when you say that you need a whole MRI of your body to confirm this, that seems to imply that Tamsuloin effected the neuronal pathways of all your nerves all over your body. Right?  Am I right Neven?  So that seems to imply these drugs effect nerves all over the body, but what is responsible for causes erections,libido, orgasms. The brain is responsible for that . So this drug  effects all nerves (Even in the brain) If I knew what kind of nerves these were that this medicine effected in you. That would be very helpful,,,,Neven, you said that their were studies  about how long the damage can last regarding similar(dutasteride) alpha beta blocker medicine. Can you tell me how I can have access to those studies? are they on the internet? Please if you know, please help me get access to those studies.  and as I mention, again if you would be so kind, please elaborate on what you said, regarding the nerves(SSep-n, tibialis, and pudendalis). If you a person has lesions on the neuronal pathways in the brain/body, that sounds serious, is alfa lipoic acid the only solution? I know all about ala lipoic acid, I have taken it many times for my neuropathy.(I have diabetic neuropathy). I eagarly await your response Neven, because what you said can lead me into other research that may help me find a solution. I will never be a 100 percent because of diabetes, but what you have said may give me a better understanding of what this medicine has done to me, and there may be some herb that can assist me(I believe in herbal medicine). Please get back in touch with me, and if you would be so kind and address some of the comments I made.  I will be very appreciative. Thanks pooney67 

• Posted

Neven, please help a brotha out. Man If you would be so kind, and tell me where these studies are regarding these medicines. It really will help me. I wish you could tell  me what-n SSEP stands for, and provide links to these studies. May be able to gleem so important info from them.

• Posted

Why was my post to Pooney deleted? Is this a joke? Send me your email Pooney and i will get im touch with you..
  • Posted

I have been on doxazosin for 5 years w/o any serious side-effects.  When I stopped for a few weeks to try a supplement instead (pygeum), my urination symptoms re-appeared within a couple days, which I interpreted as meaning the doxazosin was out of my system.  (FWIW, the pygeum did not help with my symptoms.)  I would get a second opinion.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.