Dr took me off mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I haven't been on it that long, maybe a few months, but it seems to be reacting pretty badly with me... maybe it was having some bad reactions with my other medications... but I was acting very slowly, developed hives, very irritable, so spaced out that it was like I was on drugs , now I'm just waiting for withdrawal to set in... the doctor took me off of it and didn't even taper me off ... I was only on it for sleep, it worked great at first, then started giving me all these side effects. I don't think I'll be trying this medicine again. Definitely not for me. Must be a drug interaction.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynda

You don't say what dose of Mirt' you were taking?  Have you searched for a "interaction checker" on line?  What are your other meds?  Mirt' of course contains a slow release sedative that can last 24/7 for some (me too) not everyone, which for some people is ideal if they suffer with anxiety.

It is very difficult to just stop Mirt, a slow taper is always best to avoid the nasty discontinuation syndrome, it states it on the leaflet, doctors don't seem to be aware of this, but to be fair, they don't receive the training. 

I would strongly advise reducing slowly, even though you were only taking it for a couple of months.  

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Thanks Calmer, I've just used a 'interactive checker' and discovered that I should not be taking Mirtazipine and Amitriptyline together. Maybe I have found the reason why I have been feeling so miserable for so long?????

• Posted

WOW thats crazy hey?  Change your doctor maybe, I think they work in a similar way, and both highly difficult to discontinue, so do your research before quitting either.  Best wishes Barden.
    • Posted

I was taking the 7.5 dose and from the research it shouldn't have been taken with ANY of my other 7 medications. I have a new doctor now and maybe that's why she took me off of it without tapering me off

• Posted

It is unbelieveable that doctors do this, we should all be checking up with any advice they give I think, maybe asking the pharmacist ~ they are so knowledgable.  

How long did you take 7.5 mg Mirt Lynda ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.