Drinking after sobriety

Posted , 12 users are following.

I read a couple articles on the internet stating 50% of alcohol dependent could moderately drink after being sober for awhile. Has anyone had experience w this ?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Since Alcohol Use Disorder is a spectrum covering very mild misuse to serious misuse, then I guess it would be possible for those at the lower end of the spectrum to be able to learn new coping mechanisms to employ when needed rather than their immediate trigger to run to the drink.

In theory, I expect the goal of this would enable someone to eliminate their problematic drinking sessions that are triggered by outside influences (stress at work, family, time of the month for women, menopause etc) and therefore leave them able to socially drink when they wish to.

For me personally, I was far too far along the upper end of the AUD spectrum to be able to drink moderately.

• Posted

Mistype:

I wrote 'would be possible'.  I meant to write COULD be possible.

• Posted

Hello Shannon,I had two parents who were both alcoholic s! This ruined my life totally,& caused me to be a stressed child.Alchohol is not good if you et it ruin your life.You have Family & close friends who love you.You only have one life.regards Amanda

• Posted

Not me...I am not one of the 50% that can moderate.

I need to be 100% sober....at all times.

There is no hope for me drinking. The only way to find out if you are the 50% that CAN...is to stop for a period of time and then drink and see if you could moderate.

i'm not willing to ever EVEN think I can...because an alcoholic never has a guarantee that once they start drinking again after a period of sobriety that they will ever be able to be sober again!

• Posted

Well said Missy2. My Husband can Never have just one or two drinks. It very quickly spirals out of control

• Posted

JulieAnne..that stinks...I know firsthand.

I am done fooling myself that "this time will be different".

Never is.

Does your hubby have it under control now? Is he not drinking somehow?

• Posted

Never drink alcohol again.

Do not believe this!

Stay sober!

• Posted

That is your opinion, others may differ. It all depends on each individuals relationship. If having one drink sets you off on a downward spiral.

on the other hand, if the problem which caused you to drink in the first place has been eliminated and you only drank because of that problem, then yes I would say that you could drink in moderation.

• Posted

Hi Shannon.  It's would be good to think this. I would love to be able to drink in moderation, whatever moderation is.  I have been abstinent since June 2015.  If I could really just have the odd one or two then I would.  But to be honest I am scared to try.  I think that once I open that bottle of wine it would be empty in a couple of hours.  It's not that I have anybody who cares if I do or don't, it's just that I have more confidence after a few and as I suffer with anxiety and depression I do and say stupid things.  

• Posted

I have found that since a few months back when I was really stressed out and last had too much too drink, I have been able to increasingly drink just a few beers, sometimes just one, 2 or 3 max on occassional nights, and leave it at that.

My husband has a drink with me, and sometimes - although he is generally generally very moderate - drinks a couple glasses more than me.

I have quite recently gone through the menopause, and I think that has quite profoundly effected my emotional responses to events - in a good way!  I just dont get anything like as agitated as before.

I still get upset about things on occassion - but only when anyone - 'normal' would, and my response is not extreme like it used to be.

In the last week I have had a bit of a cry on a couple of days - drank a beer, then had a cup of tea, - then went to bed. 

I find that resting when I have got stressed is by far the best solution.

I sometimes take one or two Propranolol tablets, and that really helps as well.

• Posted

I'm happy for you ursula...I took propranol before and I didn't like it..it made my anxiety worse...but maybe that was because i was used to Ativan for anxiety.

I have heard that propranol helps others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.