Drinking alcohol takes away my hives

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been battling Chronic Urticaria for 9 years, with each year becoming worse. I would consider my case to be extreme, and I am having a very difficult time dealing with it daily. I have been on many steriods antihistamines as well as the Umalizumab injection. I recently discovered that drinking a fair amount of alcohol dissipates my hives by about 98 -100% for 24hrs. I am trying to figure out the connection as to why it would suppress my system like it does.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I wish!  I can no longer drink wine and beer also sets me off. I am avoiding all alcohol for ten days while we try a new medication but I will try hard liquor after that.
  • Posted

Hi Shaundra

Lucky you, actually I think the alcohol takes away any stress you have, even if you don't know you have, which relieves your immune system so reducing hives.  Stress, anxiety and worry can trigger the immune system into overdrive with some urticaria sufferers.  Eventually though if you have too much you will put pressure on the liver and endocrine system and it may backfire badly. Okay in moderation within the units limit for women I think.

• Posted

Most people say im lucky. But Being I am far to familiar with the effects of alcohol, it does scare me. I am after relief mentally and physically which makes the alcohol even more appealing. I have not had a drink in a week and am paying for it, having an extremly difficult time dealing with the hives so I take a ton of antihistamines and atarax to just get through the day. This makes it hard to function because I am feeling the effects of the antihistamines. Damned if I do Damned if I dont. Feeling pretty hopeless to say the least. I have 3 amazing supportive children 17, 14, 9 and fiance who gives me endless support. Without them I would have been done a long time ago. They are the only reason I get up every day !
    • Posted

Most people say im lucky. But Being I am far to familiar with the effects of alcohol, it does scare me. I am after relief mentally and physically which makes the alcohol even more appealing. I have not had a drink in a week and am paying for it, having an extremly difficult time dealing with the hives so I take a ton of antihistamines and atarax to just get through the day. This makes it hard to function because I am feeling the effects of the antihistamines. Damned if I do Damned if I dont. Feeling pretty hopeless to say the least. I have 3 amazing supportive children 17, 14, 9 and fiance who gives me endless support. Without them I would have been done a long time ago. They are the only reason I get up every day !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.