Driving?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hiya all.

I am to have a cataract op next Thursday (30th), and wonder how soon I will be allowed to drive again.  Also, how soon does your eyesight in the operated-on eye settle down?  I wear glasses and I guess I will have to have the operated eye's spectacle lens changed at some point.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You surgeon will probably suggest that you do not drive for at least a fortnight after the surgery, however the DVLA stresses that you should not drive until you have had new lenses in your spectacles.

This can be problematic if you need cataract surgery on both eyes, as there is generally a delay before the second eye is operated upon.

In these circumstances, depending upon the opinion of your optometrist, it may be suggested that you simply have a plain lens fitted to the side of your glasses where you have had surgery on that eye, and then once all surgery is completed then have a complete retest when corrective lenses can be fitted if found necessary.

As to when completed cataract surgery settles down, this differs from person to person, but if there are no complications then you should be fine within a fortnight.

If you encounter an infection, then you will need to refer to your surgeon who will probably prescribe antibiotic drops for you.

In any event you should be recalled to the hospital for a check-up within two to six weeks following surgery.

Hope this information helps.

• Posted

I had a next day post op appt that I should have been able to drive myself to. I am really affected by anaesthetics, though and asked someone to take me, because I was not comfortable driving. I drove a week after the first surgery. I drove 3 days after I had the 2nd eye done. I asked for less anesthesia, which helped.

Its personal, In my opinion. I had to find good sunglasses. I've always been really photosensitive. Take that into consideration...I had a wreck cuz the sunglasses I had caused too much distortion and I rear ended a woman 2 wks after the 2nd surgery.

• Posted

Hi

My friends and sisters eye improved immediately after the op. My friend no longer needs glasses for driving. If you can see ok you can drive quite soon after op...they will tell you. Mine have been not too good as some of the gel got disturbed and stuck to the front of the new lens. I have had some laser but nor improved yet. Hope you op goes well.

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, my optician said that they could do a plain lens, or just take out the existing lens, which I don't fancy as everyone would think it had just fallen out!  I wonder how my eyesight will be when the cataract has been fixed.  The cataract surgeon said that they can give me good close-up vision but need glasses for distance, or vice versa.  He didn't think that I would have good vision for both close and distance.

• Posted

As they tend to use monovision replacement lenses in the UK (suitable for distance), then it is quite likely you will struggle with reading and will need reading spectacles.

In all probability you will be able to see for miles without specs once the surgery is completed.

• Posted

That would be wonderful, but if I am given the choice I will go for decent close vision and not-so-good distance vision, because that's what I have had for years.  The optician said that she wouldn't give me an eye test until at least two months after the cataract op, which seems a long time to be staggering round wearing glasses that I can't see out of any more.
  • Posted

Hi I had both lenses replaced last Friday I feel that my vision is better than before and feel ready to drive My follow up appointment is Friday the 30th

so I will wait till then

I only had anaesthetic  drops for the procedure So I  didnt have a lengthy period to get over the anaesthetic 

A word of caustion I felt fine to drive the following day I probly wasnt

Better a few extra day to be safe

Good luck for Thursday Gary

• Posted

Both done at the same time?  Gosh, my surgeon insists on leaving about six months between the two.

My Thurday op has been cancelled at the last minute!  Apparently there was an "emergency case" who had to take my appointment.  Someone is supposed to be phoning me on Monday with another appointment.

• Posted

Incidentally because I am diabetic they say I will have to have a general anaesthetic, so I will be recovering for a while.  I can't quite figure out why I can't have a local anaesthetic like yours, but I suppose they know what they're talking about.

Dunno when it will be done anyway...

• Posted

Sorry to hear of y our canselation

Big build up only to be let down at the last minute

Even though I had requested no genral anaestethetic I sill had to pay for

an aesthetics to be present

Far less traumatic than some dental appointments ive had

Hope that you get a quik replacement appointment soon

Gary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.