Driving

Posted , 9 users are following.

Whoo hoo!! I finally got to drive today!! Another milestone in my hip saga! It's been since July 18 that I last drove!! We went to an empty parking lot. I drove around there making sure I could brake correctly and did some parking and backing up. Finally took to the streets! I drive a very large pickup. Have had it for 14 years!! It's my baby! I think tho that i will wait awhile before i get on the expressway as driving on there is at much higher speeds! I'm gonna be driving a lil slower for awhile. 🤓😎

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done, it is a wonderful feeling of freedom when you can drive again... take care when out an about.   Well done xx
    • Posted

Thanks Elaine! I will!! It's just around the neighborhood for me for now!! I see dr in 3 weeks again, got physical therapy starting Monday so will see if driving on freeway will be good. 🤓😎

• Posted

Well done Linda I'm only 11 days post op and driving seems a long way off 😕

• Posted

I am 9 days post op and see dr on Wednesday. He told me I'd be driving in two weeks....hope so. Stopped narcotics after one week and am taking extra strength tylenol and Bayer aspirin 2x a day for blood thinning. I had back surgery in April and this is much more drbilitating!

• Posted

Well let me tell you 3 months was like an eternity!! Getting a dislocation and revision within 3 weeks was the downfall. But I'm climbing this mountain one day at a time!! I'm sure you will be driving soon!! 🚗🤓

• Posted

Good job Linda. Love your encouraging news and wish you the best heeling for the future. Soon you will be doing the rumba! 
  • Posted

Well done love you feel so much more independant when you start driving again. After my 1st thr l was 4 weeks before l drove 2nd thr about the same and jusr when l had gained all my confidence back it was time for my 1st knee replacement. Back tďo square one l started driving but its still a struggle and painful even at 8 weeks post op . But l have had to push myself to do it so l cld look after mum. But well done x
    • Posted

Thanks Lors! Yea 3 months of not driving was hard. It's easy getting in my truck but getting out is a lil harder since my thigh is so tight and my knee is not bending to its full capacity yet. So I'm having to slide out and land on my other leg. I'm hoping physical therapy will help me with that. 🤓🤗

• Posted

Hope you start feeling better with your knee. I too have a bad knee opposite hip. It's been acting up lately!! I'm not ready to deal with that yet! What I went through with my hip has me turned off with further surgeries for awhile!! A speedy recovery to you! 💐

• Posted

I'm 10 days post op and need to build confidence that I will be walking independent at some point. Seems far away....

Wondering what your day looks like. I think I might be sitting too much and need to lay more. I go from bed to shower- to chair. A nap usually in the afternoon. Shower is independent and small food prep otherwise I sit....bored.!

• Posted

Just take it steadily, it's very early days. I used to have a little walk each day, with my crutches. Good to get out if you can. I didn't ever lie down on my bed during the day, found it so uncomfortable on my back!

• Posted

Congratulations Linda !!!!! Big milestone  .... 

is your car an automatic? probably huh  . howabout getting in and out of the car?

woohoot indeed, darling ...

I am so happy for you 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Morning Renee! Yes my truck is an automatic. Getting in is easy getting out a lil challenging since my knee of operated leg is still very tight and is not bending completely so I'm kind of sliding out and landing on my other leg. I'm hoping physical therapy will help me with that. I'll be taking my granddaughter to school on Monday. Sh s been waiting for that! Having to get up early and catch the bus!! 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.