Driving After Achellis Surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

I am 5 weeks post op Achellis repair. I have one more week to go in my hard cast and will then be in a boot. I'm not sure exactly what kind.

The surgery was on my right heel. My question is: can I drive with a boot? Or would it be ok to remove the boot just for driving? Tired of depending on others to get around and want a little independence back. 

Thanks!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Virginia

The worst bit is past as life starts to get better as soon as you're in the boot.

Seems as though you've been in the cast for a long time. I had the cast for only two weeks post op and six weeks in the boot. Now 11 weeks post op and walking around (with a slight limp) and driving with a clutch.

I drove an automatic car two days after surgery (rupture was on my left achilles), so depending which one you've had repaired, this may be the way to go. It's only been this week that I've been able to use a clutch again.

Good luck with the boot and make sure you take good care of the wound area and whole leg. I had the boot off all night as I watched TV and de-sensitised the wound with lotion.

You sound very positive wanting to get independent again, so I'm sure you will power through the recovery process.

Cheers

Kris

• Posted

Do not drive with the boot on!  

You'll probably be able to figure out how to drive (push the pedals down) while still being injured but the predicament is that if you're in wreck and your doctor did not authorize you to drive, then your insurance may not view it as a valid claim.  I was driving about 8 weeks after my ATR in the right leg.

• Posted

I ruptured my right achilles tendon on May 9, had surgery May 26.  I had the "minimum invasive" surgery technique with arguable one of the best surgeons in the nation.  He is "agressive" in his recovery.  I am now 11 weeks since surgery.  I am NOT driving.  I will see him in about a week which will be at the 12 week mark, he may give me the ok to drive but it won't be on major highways or anything yet.

I understand the frustration and I have nobody to rely on.  i've been paying for uber wherever i go and pay for delivery.  I've almost cleaned my entire savings just due to this issue.  So I understand the frustration.  If you have someone you can rely on for rides please take advantage as long as you can.  I wish I was in your position to have people I can rely on.  All I have is my savings and an  uber or instantcart app.  Thank the universe these exist now.

DO NOT DRIVE!!!

• Posted

I'm walking around with a cane no boot just a soft lace cup.  I can't even jog yet.  This is 11 weeks since surgery. No driving yet.. Though I believe driving will be allowed by September 1, hoping.  Hallelujah!!!

• Posted

"can't even jog yet" 

ha I had my surgery Dec 22, 2015 and just hit some tennis balls without much chasing down of shots a couple of weeks ago.

All I've been able to do for exercise is walk and lift weights.  

If you are really aggressive in your physical therapy I'd think jogging might be an option around 5-6 months.

• Posted

I'm at 11 weeks now.  Doctor said I will start jogging after my next appointment which is at 12 weeks.

• Posted

I would definitely say NOOO! Do NOT drive with the boot on. The way it is made you can't really feel the bottom and would be completely dangerous to do so. Now, if you don't have a cast under the boot, you can definitely take the boot off so that you can put on a show to drive. Before my surgery that is exactly what I was doing. That's my 7 cents. Good luck!

• Posted

When I had my boot on I sat in my car to see if it was feasible and it was impossible for me. The boot would have almost pressed on both the accelerator and brake at the same time and the angle of my foot didn't allow me to put any pressure on the pedals at all. So unless you have a left leg rupture and an automatic car it would be a no from me!

• Posted

If you ask your surgeon he/she will definitely say no chance as the boot looks massive and will most likely cover both you accelerator & brake pedal but if you take the boot off to drive you might end up setting yourself back a bit as the wound is not completely healed.

I done my Achilles 2.5 weeks ago and been in cast for 2 weeks now, am relying on people taken me places, some turns up and some don't, I got fed up and bought myself a cheap auto car that should last me for 3 months. Shame you can't do that as its your right foot. If you have reliable people chauffeuring you about please use them, you will be back on your feet in no time. Do you know why they kept you in cast for that long? Yours must be the longest time I have read online. Good luck.

• Posted

Presuming this must be your right achilles which rules out an auto?

That's me at 11 weeks post op and been told by both Surgeon and Physio that I can now use the clutch. Hopefully about the same timeline for a right side injury, but an emergency stop on the brake may require more strength.

Good luck with recovery - it get's much better soon...

• Posted

Hi I ruptured my left Achilles' tendon. I drive an automatic but consultant wouldn't allow me to drive until I could weight bear. I was in plaster for 8 weeks, now in boot. Now in my 12 week, allowed to drive but must take my boot off and put on a loose trainer even though I don't use that foot!

Feel your pain, so frustrating. Very hard going from active to nothing in a click but eventually I accepted it and hired a wheelchair from the Red Cross to use in the house and outside so no chance of weight bearing and felt abit more independent. Good luck

• Posted

Never ceases to amaze me how many opposing views that surgeons and patients have on this injury. The main thing is to get a strong recovery and progress at a pace that you're comfortable with. I would advise listening to your body as well as taking good advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.