Driving again

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi hip hoppers

Does anyone know for sure when we can officially drive again. When I asked my insurance I company they said I have to ask licencing in Swansea---didn't fancy waiting on phone for 45 minutes to speak to someone.

ive had various answers elsewhere such as when you get the ok from the surgeon after 6 weeks and when you feel  u can.

4 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is a new one on me.  But, I suppose it makes sense.  Problem is how on earth am i supposed to get to the cosultant or the GP wthout driving there?  A taxi would cost an arm and a leg - probably the one with the new hip - it would be worth more...!

I should he GP would be able to answer that one, as they would be in contact with the surgeon.

• Posted

Officially you have to wait for your surgeon to give you the OK to drive if you drive before that you will not be insured and if you have an accident  you will liable to pay any damages and you coulkd be in trouble with the police for not being insured. It is the same if you have a stroke or if you are diabetic you HAVE TO tell your insurance so you are covred.So basicly no driving till you are cleeared by your surgeon.
    • Posted

i have quoted this for you from the DVLA web site

General advice to give to drivers

It is advised that the applicant or licence holder must notify DVLA, unless stated otherwise in the text relating to specific conditions. In some cases, a combination of multiple medical conditions, each insufficient in itself to disqualify from driving, may produce an annual risk of incapacitation unacceptable for either a Group 1 or a Group 2 licence, or render a person a likely source of danger.

When such a combination of risk factors is felt to be present, the patient should be advised not to drive. Health professionals can get additional clarification from the DVLA.

• Posted

Hi Colin

There is also this from the DVLA site

You could be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a condition that might affect your ability to drive safely. You could also be prosecuted if you have an accident.

• Posted

This makes me wonder how many people have reported the following which ARE among the long list of notifiable conditions ....

AnxietyArthritis, Blood pressure, Caesarean section, Cancer

Deafness, Depression, Diabetes, Eating disorders, Heart palpitations

High blood pressure, Hypertension, Hysterectomy, Kidney dialysis

Kidney problems,  Limb disability, Low blood sugar, Mini-stroke

Obsessive compulsive disorder, Palpitations, Renal dialysis

Spinal problems and injuries, Stroke, Vertigo 

• Posted

Hi Graham:

You really such a brick!  I had to laugh at the list, and wonder how many people are on the road with these conditions, and completely ignorant of these R&Rs?  I think the roads would be almost completely devoid of traffic....!  

I love your posts.   They are helpful and you are a fount of knowledge.  Very valued.

thank you,

Susie

• Posted

Thanks Suzie,

I wonder that too - I had no idea there were so many before being alerted by our eagle-eyed friends.

I aim to please - I might as well do something useful now I am off work for so long. lol

Graham

• Posted

Someone on this website wrote about a friend who

took a chance and had a minor bump. There were checks

done and she paid a fine and the repair costs. Don't take

a chance, it might be someone else's fault, but you will not

be insured. It also is easier with a left hip in an automatic

than a right hip which has two pedals to operate. Your

consultant is the only one who will give you the ok.

Cathie

• Posted

HI Cathie:

I have just come across the post to which you referred, further down my list of notifications.  The irresponsibility of that driver beggars belief.  The problem is that behaviour of this sort, creates problems for more responsible drivers, and a tightening up of the R&Rs, heavier penalties,etc., etc.

I am going to encounter problems post op in terms of visiting the consultant, etc., as I have nobody to transport me, and certainly will not be able to afford taxi fares, etc.  Essentially travelling from one county to another!  Out of the question.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.