Driving and Bipolar

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyne know what the law is on this subject please. I mean specifically, in the UK. Thank you all

Marish X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Iv never even thought of that. . Iv tried getting travel insurance. Couldn't believe my eyes ..had to go without ??

• Posted

When you are sectioned due to an episode of hypomania or mania caused by Bipolar affected disorder then you are not allowed to drive.  When you are released from hospital you must inform the DVLA of the situation, submitting you driving licence to them and refrain from driving for 3 months.  The DVLA will confer with your psychiatrist towards the end of this period to check you are now safe to drive.  The DVLA will issue you with a new driving licence.

I should know I’ve had to go through this twice in 2006, once in 2007 and once in 2014.  Johnx

• Posted

did you have to submit a d1,licence application form,to get your new licence,i came out of hospital on may 23rd,so im hoping after 23rd of this month,i can reapply,if i send doctors letter saying ive had three months stability.really need to drive to go on rehabilitation courses,and gym etc,which all helps my mental health.thanks in antisipation,for youre reply
    • Posted

WOW. i mean just WOW. i guess it makes sense. I have just not ever thougt about it that way...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.