Driving and Tramadol

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking 2 x 50 mg of Tramadol at night to enable me to get some sleep at night following shoulder surgery. 

My job involves being on call and I can be called out in the middle of the night. My concern is driving with that dosage...

Any thoughts ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I used to do night shifts whilst on Tramadol and Gabapentin and it was scary. The drive home after an 1 hr shift was interesting to say the least.. I wouldnt do it again.
    • Posted

That's what I'm thinking.. 

Im not keen on taking chances with the driving after 100 mg of T.

thanks for the advice 

• Posted

Even if you aren't adversly affected, you shouldn't.

Here's why. Let's say you are sitting at a traffic light, minding your own business, when you are hit from behind. In many places, the accident is your fault.  Why? Because you are technically "driving under the influence" and thus weren't supposed to be there in the first place. It may not be fair, but that's just the way it is.

• Posted

That's a very good point !

thats something for my employer to take into account I think 

• Posted

hi David , the normal daily dosage of tramadol is up to 400mg a day - you are taking 1/4 of that, if it is prescribed for you and you feel ok to work/drive, you should have no problem - there is no legal limit for Tramadol, therefore you cannot get into legal trouble unless you are aware that you are physically or cognitively impaired after taking this dose- Tramadol effects everybody differently only you will know how it effects you - best of luck
    • Posted

I guess my main concern is that it does make me drowsy and it does help me sleep so I am worried I would not be alert in the early hours as required for my job.

Thanks for your comments... They are very helpful 

• Posted

This is my only expereince of tramadol

I had gallstones and had several flare ups (mainly at night) GPs came to me and gave me an injection of tramadol (not sure how much). I did ask one of the GPs if I could he could leave me with some tramadol in tablet form so next time I had a flare up I could just take them. He said he thought the pain killers I was already taking were probably more effective than tramadol tablets anyway. But ofcourse the injections worked a lot better and quicker.

It lmay be worth exploring other options. You can take Ibuprofen as well as other painkillers. I have only recently found this out.

I had my gallbladder removed three weeks ago so thankfully no more flare ups or injections of tramadol.

I would ask GP if you need to inform DVLA. If you do not I'm thinkling insurance may not cover you if you were involved in an accident whether it was your fault or not.

Take Care.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah

i have considered other painkillers but I'm allergic to Ibuprofen and Gabapentin that I was using previously did not agree with me at all.

I hope your progress after your operation continues Sarah

David

• Posted

While I said "technically" DUI in my comment, you would be charged. You and your employer would also be liable for any damages (including fatalities) that occur. Even if the accident was really caused someone else.
  • Posted

Just out of interest, I am taking a 7 day course of Diazepam because my neck keeps going into spasm and it actually says on the packet that it is a teaffic offence to drive if your ability is affected by this medicine. Never seen that before. Also someone earlier said taking up to 400mg of Tramadol is acceptable. It isnt. 300mg is the maximum. David can you take the Tram at other times of the day? Or slow release which doesnt zap your brain so much?
    • Posted

I take one tablet in the morning which helps during the day but the pain is worse at night when I take two to three capsules. Slow release may well be an option to consider ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.