Driving discomfort after 9 weeks post PKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had to drive an hour yesterday and the pain in my knee was bad.  It's like a severe burning sensation right on the lower inside of the knee cap.  Hard to explain exactly where.  It was most painful during driving and having to keep my knee in the position of using the accelerator and brake.  Does anyone else have this after 9 weeks?  Just saw the doc on Monday and he said I'm doing good.  Don't think it's anything to worry about, more wondering how long this will last.  I'm thinking it's the ligament to the patella?  Any input is appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Retha,

I didn't have a buring sensation but definately anythign that keeps your knee in one position for any length of time at your stage of the game is likely to casue pain of one kind or another - I have to say, that the turning point for me was more the 16-17 week range when the band of tightness and stiffness lifted significantly.

• Posted

I founf driving difficult for 6 months and eventually changed to an automatic - it was like a miracle! Now at 9 months I sometimes drive a manual but am fine as my muscles are so much stronger - hope things improve for you.
  • Posted

Hi Retha,

I had what sounds similar to your description. It was truly excruciating!

My pt and doctor both said it was a strained muscle. I would massage it with an analgesic cream (store brand) and pt did basically "active release therapy" on it while I would bend and straighten. It brought tears to my eyes during the therapy!

Don't know if that's what you are suffering from, but if so, the massage really did the trick. I still get that sometimes, but not nearly as painful now.

Good luck!!

• Posted

Thanks, Debz,

I'll definitely try the massage.  I guess it just goes with the territory, huh?  😏

• Posted

I agree with the fixed position thoughts.  Holding my knee in any one positon, especially lowered, causes discomfort.  Needs to move early on, I hear.   And, so far, that's been correct.  Elevate, ice, movement works so far.  But, I'm only on the 3rd week and don't drive all that far (to may favorite coffee shop!!).    I've set a limit of 30 minutes max driving and one hour max sitting in a vehicle before I get out and use the knee for at least 5 minutes.   

Be well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.