Dry ejaculation

Posted , 30 users are following.

My husband is Type 1 diabetic and was also recently diagnosed with an enlarged prostate. Diabetes affects blood pressure - raising it, and it may in some men cause erectile dysfunction. Tamsulosin Hydrochloride was prescribed and my husband has taken it for approximately 2 - 3 months. I can report that his urine flow has increased significantly but he does not produce semen when ejaculating, something he has been oblivious to and it is only me who has noticed it. Failure to produce semen is not listed as a side affect to the drug and I feel it is of low incidence and has therefore gone unreported. This failure presents no problem to my husband or me presently and only if it does will he report it to his GP. May I respectfully suggest to those men who find it problematical that they tell their doctors who will a) explain the possible cause of the side effect; b) change the medication or c) give reassurance that this will not affect their sexual performance.

4 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I started taking Tamsulosin Hydrochloride and after 12 days experienced dry ejaculation, You are right, my wife did not notice it as we were using KY jelly and it was wet, but i could feel that i did not spill. It was not a good feeling. My doctor told me this will happen along with other side effects such as dizziness, nausea which i have been experiencing.

I have stopped taking this tablets and feel the dizziness is gone. I have not tried to ejaculate as they effect of the tabs might last for some time. I will post the expereince once I try.

Just for your information, i read on the net that Keagal exercises will help to strengthen the prostrate and i have started doing it. The effect will only be know after few weeks.

I will investigate to see if there is any alternate medication to help with my problem.

How about your husband...did he get any relief or is he still using this tabs. How are you copinng with the dry ejaculation

please share your experiences.

• Posted

I was prescribed Tamsulosin Hydrochloride By my GP for an enlarged prostate 6 weeks ago. She told me that in her experience no patients she had prescribed this drug for had experienced any side effects.After taking it for about 2 weeks I also noticed very little semen being ejaculated and then followed by dry ejaculation which felt unsatisfactory. I also experienced a somewhat stuffy nose when in bed at night. After taking the drug for 5 weeks I was still having to get up at night 3 or 4 times to urinate which was the same as before I took this drug. I decided to stop taking the drug and after a week or so my ejaculation of semen returned to normal.

Talking to a friend who has the same prostate problem he told me he has been taking a supplement called Prostate Gold and that now he only ever gets up once a night to urinate and sometimes not at all. So I have ordered a supply and will write on here my experience of this supplement after 4 to 6 weeks of taking it.

• Posted

I asked my doctor what side effects Petyme had and he said none really, it was well tolerated and could assist by lower blood pressure slightly. Well immediate dry ejaculation is a pretty dramatic side effect to me and I guess most men and the term abnormal ejaculation on the products information sheet does not properly describe what is obviously a common symptom from this forum.

I also experience a stuffy nose at night with no hint of a cold.

My doctor said I should take it for 3 months to see its affect so I imagine the drug can take that long to shrink the prostate although that is a guess. I will keep taking it to see if it works - it hasnt done for urine what it has done for semen yet! - but I might give up based on the ejaculation issues, it does diminish the experience somewhat.

• Posted

You may well need to take the drug for life.  The alternative may be an operation on prostate [TURP etc] which may leave you impotant.  Which is worse dry ejaculation or that?

It may be that the semen is passing back into bladder [retrograde ejaculation] you can sometimes see cloudy strings in urine passed thereafter

• Posted

Regarding your query about "dry ejaculations" when taking Tamsulosin;

This is alluded to on the leaflet which is enclosed with the medication, but it is usually referred to as erectile dysfunction and doesn't say what exactly that means. Internet enquiries explained that it is not a "dry" process, as the ejaculation is made into the bladder. A scarey experience when you know what has happened! So, until I had my very recent surgery (a TURP) to resolve an enlarged prostate, I opted for abstinence. Sadly, it appears necessary to jump through all the preparatory NHS hoops via medication before the inevitable surgery is performed. I had 9 months of worry before it was agreed that I had a "very large" prostate requiring surgery.

My other negative side-effect was rhinitis, which exacerbated that already caused by Amlodipine (for high blood pressure). The outcome was dense headaches and a snotty, cruddy nose which kept me (and my partner) awake and often struggling for breath. Thankfully the prostate medication ceased with surgery, so I'm getting back to delaing with just one set of side-effects.

Surgery appears to be the inevitable outcome for most people, so it also appears that the medication has to be endured until such time as the consultant is sufficiently concerned to advocate surgery.

Hang on in there and good luck

• Posted

I also am experiencing dry ejaculation.  I have found my orgasms to be just as satisfactory as prior to beginning the medication.  I have also not had issues related to dizziness.  I am having the stuffy nose.  I plan to keep taking the medication as it has made a significant difference in the number of trips to the bathroom during the night.
  • Posted

Nasal congestion can be an issue any time of day, though most of us have a tougher time of it while lying down.  My doctor had recommended taking it at night, but I can't sleep with a stuffy nose, so I shifted to taking it right after breakfast.

FOR ME the results were great!

It is worth noting that Tamsulosin specifically relaxes the muscles of the prostate.  An orgasm normally causes robust contraction of these muscles.  However, under the influence of Tamsulosin, the very relaxed muscles are less responsive (as they should be) and have difficulty contracting.  Weak contractions mean less fluid will be forced out of the prostate - resulting in little or no ejaculate.

Planning for sex is not always possible, but try this as it works for me.

Tamsulosin's suggested dosing is once per 24-hour period, and strictly at the same time every day.  Most of us engage in sexual activity during one portion of the day only (late evening, morning, etc.).  Taking the dosage AFTER one's usual time for sex (such as after the 8 a.m. breakfast for those engaging in sexual activity before breakfast) may help with the muscles' ability to contract.  The logic is that the body metabolizes the drug and has a much reduced concentration of Tamsulosin twenty-one hours after it is taken (than one hour after it is taken).  Conversely, if one's usual time (sexual activity) is late evening, then Tamsulosin shouldn't be taken any time in the evening unless it is taken after sexual activity.  Just remember to take it about 30 minutes after eating.

Personally, I would suggest taking the dosage in the morning, even for those who usually engage in sexual activity during late evening.

• Posted

thanks everyone for your open honest replies to the OP

I have suffered from dry ejaculations since taking this drug but not everytime we have sex. sometimes everything works as normal and sperm is produced then next time we have sex it is dry again. at least the comments on here help me to understand that it is likely to be a side effect of the medicine.

• Posted

I am a Type 2 diabetic controlled by Metformin and am taking Tamsulosin for a slightly enlarged prostate (50mms) and to lessen the need for nocturnal visits to the bathroom.

I have been taking the drug for 3 months now and can report that the dry orgasms persist but not all the time. Sometimes the ejaculate is near to normal but the orgasm remains dull and not totally satisfactory. I still make two visits to the bathroom per night and am contemplating asking my Doctor whether the treatmaent is worthwhile.

• Posted

I sympathise. I have been having occasional dry ejaculations after taking tamulosin. My solution so far is to not take it the day before expecting intercourse.  A bit of prior organisation but easier for older men
    • Posted

How long did it take you after using Tamsulosin to produce semen?
    • Posted

I was snipped 40 years ago (my wife was then diagnosed - wrongly - with a disease caused by oral contraception) so do not produce semen; only a seminal fluid.  Since reducing tamulosin to 1/2 dose on day before sex, and to zero dose on the day, and resuming dosage on day after, I seem to have avoided dry ejaculation.  Requires advance planning but much preferable to no sexual activity IMHO.
  • Posted

Is there any alternative to Tamsulosin as I have been experiencing the lack of ejaculation, no production of sperm at all. I was given Tamsulosin to treat me for urination problem I.e. Having to Waite an age to pass water. 
    • Posted

this is exactly what I experience atm. 

can you please update how long it took you after using Tamsulosin to produce sperm?

• Posted

Same Diagnosis as me, stopped taking Tamulosin for months now, still no ejaculation. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.