Dry mouth with Metformin

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2011. I am currently taking Metformin SR twice daily plus Losartan, Atorvastatin and Omeprazole. For the past 15 months I have had an extremely dry mouth. I have it all the time.  It does not keep me awake but if I do wake up I am cotton mouthed until I have a drink.  In 2011  I had a wisdom tooth removed under Lidocaine (knocked me out completely). 2 weeks after this I noticed a dry mouth but thought it was to do with trauma after extraction. A year later I was sent to see dentist in Birmingham Hospital who told me the Omeprazole I take for a hiatus hernia was causing dry mouth. Apparently according to him it is notoriousfor it. My Doctor changed it to Esomeprazole and for 2 years I was free from trouble. Then 15 months ago it started again. I have tried coming off Esomeprazole and going back on to Omeprazole but no change. My doctor tells me to use artificial saliva and suck sugar free gums etc - this only makes it worse. Sacharine of any sort aggrevates a dry mouth. I am at the end of my tether now.  I have used every lip balm on the market but nothing appeases this dry mouth. Drinking a hot drink or a cold one eases it at the time but it is soon back. If I do eat anything sweet or savoury my dry mouth goes into overdrive like I am sucking a lemon. HELP.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What about a drug holiday?  Or perhaps eliminating one for a month at a time so you can identify which one (or combination) is causing the problem?  Since it is likely to be the Omeprazole/Esomeprazole then perhaps alternative treatments could be explored for your HH.  Unfortunately all drugs have side effects but when they are unbearable serious decisions have to be made: you are the patient and you are not there just to keep the doctors happy.
    • Posted

I hear what you say and I have been tempted to stop all medication. However, the omeprazole or a substitute is vital as the discomfort outweighs the dry mouth.  My cousin says the Metformin gave her a dry mouth and she got it changed but my doctor is reluctant to change mine. I am afraid to stop it on my own. I did change the omeprazole for ranitidine for my HH but it was totally useless .
  • Posted

I take Metformin SR 1000mg daily and don't really get a dry mouth but I've lost taste and smell to a large extent.  Not sure if this is a side effect or a symptom of diabetes.  If my sugars are high at night then I will get a dry mouth (easily solved by drinking water).  Could you try increasing your fluid intake?  Good luck... it may be that the dry mouth is the inevitable pay-off from vital medication.  For me, strict dietary control and exercise helps the most.
  • Posted

It is true Omeprazole / Esomeprazole​ (all of them) cause a dry mouth neutral How's your tongue, bright red, sometimes sore question I'd say your problem is Thrush, maybe talk to your GP about trying a course of Nystan smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.