Dry Skin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 68 years of age. About 10 years ago I had a circumcision for a medical reason . However these last couple of years the circumcision scar gets itchy from time to time. (not an unpleasant feeling but a bit embarrasing at times)

Could anyone tell me is it safe to rub body oil or bdy cream over the scar line/ My doctor just said that because I don't have my foreskin it will become dry.

appreciate any advice.

kenneth

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes Kenneth, in my experience what you are complaining of is very common and it is quite ok to apply a non-perfumed inert body oil such as Baby Oil on the area to rehydrate it.

Beware of anything that has perfume in it.

• Posted

thank you I would never have thought of an unperfumed oil. I would have just got one that smells nice. Sound advice.
    • Posted

If you had used perfumed oil I think there is a good chance that you would have become a high flyer- - in the sense that you might have hit the roof!
    • Posted

Could have been a bit naughty. Just need someone to spread it on for me now (smile) this is when you find out who your real friends are he he.
  • Posted

Kenneth, like you I was circumcised as an adult (necessarilly after a scary incident of paraphimosis), but 13 years ago almost to the day. So at least we have that much in common.

I think your issue may have some bearing on how invasive your circumcision was. Where is your scar line and how broad? Is it under the rim of your glans or further up your penis shaft? I ask because if your inner foreskin was not removed it will be part of your scar which, in turn, will be very sensitive (usually happily so, as you have intimated!).

But in any event, you can safely rub body oil or cream over the scar. Though if you enjoy the itchiness, why bother? wink

However,this makes me wonder if you're confusing what your doctor told you about dryness. It's the head/glans of your penis which becomes dry and loses its sensitivity over the months and years as time goes by, because nature tries to protect the glans which was designed as an internal organ covered by a foreskin. Oil or cream may help soften the dry tissue but it won't give you more sensation, sadly.

Christopher

• Posted

Thanks for this Christopher,

My scar is just under the rim of my glans penis so probably not all my inner forskin was removed like you explaned. he he can't go around every day with that kind of smile on my face with an itchy penis, anyway I might enjoy rubbing the oil over it just as much. I never thought of rubbing the oil on the head of my penis but I understand what you are saying and yes it does seem to be dry compared to when I had my foreskin.

I am going out shopping today so will see what kind of oils there are on the maket for my condition.

Thanks again.

kenneth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.