Duiertic pills?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I posted a few days ago and today my ent diagnosed me with mineres. She is starting me with duiertic pills and said if that doesn't work then steroids are next.

My question has anyone had relief from duiertic pills? She said it's treatable because it just started. However everything I've read on these forums seems a little concerning sad especially those that have had it for years. I can't even imagine it.

Glad this forum exists and people post quite often thank you guys!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I have been on diuretics for several years and have had some good success with them. It does not give me 100%, but I have my hearing and not much in the way of dizzy spells. My balance is still not so good but that was true even before MD due to a head trauma that left me with a positive Rombergs test (no roadside sobriety tests for me). One can never predict how the disease will progress but as far as I am concerned, they are the best thin that I could be taking for keeping this under some sort of control.
  • Posted

Yvette, I too have been on a diuretic since I was diagnosed a little over a year ago. The thing that helps my tinnitus the most is watching my sodium intake. However my ringing is constant but it does get less at times. I was put on the 12 day dose of Prednisone when I had a bad attack almost a month ago. I started seeing good results on day 3 but unfortunately all symptoms came back as the dosage was being reduced towards day 9 or do. Right now I am just thankful the fullness (or pressure) has gone and I can hear enough out of my right ear to use the phone. Two weeks ago it was so bad in both ears that when trying to talk on the phone the person on other end's voice was so

distorted I could not understand what they were saying. I go in today for follow up from attack a month ago. ENT will do another hearing test. As Donna said some people have different symptoms but hopefully your Dr can get it under control. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Diuretic cleared mine up in the beginning. I still take it daily. Ear fullness and tinnitus have come back but it's tolerable. Everyone is different with this darn syndrome good luck!

• Posted

I had frequent vertigo attacks with vomiting when I first got Meniere's in 2009.  Once I was put on a diuretic, the vertigo attacks stopped.  I didn't have another one until 2015, and then they were minor.  I then had a series of 4 steroid shots which stopped the attacks except for very occasional ones.  The diuretic did not stop the tinnitus, though a hearing aid did.  It did not stop the fullness in the ear either, but the hearing aid helps with that too.  But stopping the awful vertigo was the most important thing to me, and the diuretics did that.  I take them religiously every day, don't drink alcohol or caffeine and keep my sodium intake low and steady.  Good luck to you.  It takes time to know for sure that the diuretic works.  When I went a year without a vertigo attack, I finally believed they worked.

• Posted

Wow thanks! This gives me hope!! Thank you for letting me know. How long did you have vertigo before you started meds?
    • Posted

I really never got the vertigo...only in the beginiing a bad episdoe didnt know what was happening to me sweating vomiting and bad vertigo.....my friend caled the ambulance as he thought i was having heart attack....i was dehydrated at the time after two bags of fluid and anti dizzy drug i walked out of hospital and home two hours later or so.....i have constant noise in my ear and fullness from time rto time.....If i knew one ting to do or not do to stop that i would surely do it.....i just hear over and over low sodium, excercise to some extent....i notice when i over do it symptoms are worse unfortunately....low caffeine etc...i take b12, ginko, maganese and a multi....
    • Posted

By low sodium how much is low sodium? How do you count it in pre-cooked food or if your at a restaurant. This is like life changing thing for me it's scary

• Posted

honestly i dont measure i dont want ot take up my whole life worrying about this as stress seems to be a culprit as well...when home i never salt anyhtign garlic powdewr and other spices add taste and you quickly get used to it....at restaurants i typically get a ncie big salad and add meat chicken, steak, or fish to it and tell them to not salt the meat/fish for flavor please....from time to time i indulge in a burger or soomething when out ...they say to do 1500 or less sodium im not sure where i fall in i just cut it out or back....processed foods are full of sodium though so its a good start to cut those out..
    • Posted

I had vertigo attacks, a couple every month and sometimes more often, starting in Aug 2008 up until I got the diuretic in March 2009.  It took a few months to go through all the testing to diagnose Meniere's.  My ENT had mentioned the diuretic in November, but didn't prescribe it.  In March, he asked, 'Why aren't you on a diuretic?'  I had been suffering awful attacks just before that appointment, so I almost jumped off the chair, I was so angry.  I just snapped, 'Because you never gave them to me!!".  So he prescribed them that day.

• Posted

How are you doing now with the diuretic pills since March?
    • Posted

That was March of 2009.  I've been on them ever since.  They work well, as I seldom get vertigo attacks anymore.  I tried at one point a few years ago to cut them down to half, but immediately felt woozy, so went back to full dosage.  I try never to miss taking them.  They help flush any sodium out and apparently reduce the over abundance of fluid in the inner ear which is what causes the vertigo attacks.

• Posted

How long did it take to ease the attacks after first dose. Days? Weeks?

Glad to hear they work well for you! Do you still get any ear pressure or ringing?

• Posted

I didn't get another vertigo attack after starting with the diuretic until about 6 years later.  The ear pressure and ringing continued to this day.  I had lots of woozy days after starting the diuretic, but no real spinning vertigo until it started again years later.  That ended after having steriod injections to the middle ear, but I continued with the diuretics etc.  The woozy days continue, but I can live with that.

• Posted

Wow Lana that makes me very hopeful this thing has made me so depressed! I am very positive I can overcome this. Thank you for your input!
    • Posted

Pretty much same the diuretic worked for me quickly but I still have noise in the ear however vitamins have seemed to help. B12, Maganese lipoflavenoid, ginkgo and multi
    • Posted

I think for a lot of people, the beginning of this is the worst time.  I still have symptoms every day (ringing, fullness, hearing loss), but the vertigo was the worst and that seems to be under control for the most part due to the diuretic, low sodium diet.  Maybe this is the way the disease progresses.  Eventually I got a hearing aid for the sick ear and that helps a lot too.  So stay hopeful!
    • Posted

let me ask...my bad ear is pretty bad hearing wise...and loud noises certain musical notes or freuqencies cause it to what i call flutter which is anoying...i cant talk on the phone with it anymore as the ring sounds very weir dlike im only hearing a certain frequency the lows are gone.....is yours like that and does the hearing aid help?...if im standing to someones right my left hear does not hear them like in resturants open spaces i have  ahrd time...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.