Dull ache in left testicle for 3-4 months

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 26 years old and I've had a dull ache in my left testicle for the past 3-4 months. 

I've been to see my GP numerous times, and finally got referred to a urologist yesterday. I was there for a about 5 minutes, he had a quick feel and said nothing was wrong and didn't give me much assurance or guideance as to what I can do to help myself.

I've had a very small cyst on my left testicle since late 2008, and have been told that I have nothing to worry with that.

When I exercise I tend to aggravate the ache more so I haven't properly exerised in months which is very annoying for me.

I tend to notice the ache a lot more when I'm lying down, but it does go away after a while.

Ive taken a course of 56 diclofenac which didn't do a great deal.

The urologist gave me a 2 week course of anti-biotics, but only because I asked to be on them with a 'why not' mentality. I'm trying everything!

Before the urologist, I went to have a ultrasound scan, but nothing of note showed up so everything was fine there.

I'm unsure of what to do next...

Is it a case of trying new, more supportive boxers?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt

I was going to say it could be a sub clinical varicocele but that should have shown up on an ultrasound. A dull ache is a very common symptom of a varicocele.

If you have a cyst it could be that this has been aggravated.

Have you been given the option to remove the cyst?

• Posted

Hi Jack,

The urologist says there is no need to have unnecessary surgury on my testicles if I don't have to. So clearly he does't think the cyst is causing any of this pain. 

Any idea what else it could be?

• Posted

That's good advice. Other than that or trauma I don't know what else it could be.

First and foremost, seek a second opinion. They will re - examine you and maybe even re- scan you.

Secondly, try and keep your research online to a minimum. I've been googling all sorts online having had two issues in that part of the world and it's really affected my mental health.

• Posted

matt

im 22 and have the exact same thing same thing which has been around  for about a year and a half. the doctor said its normal for young men and isnt any harm. i mainly wanted to write this to reassure you cos i remember scanning the internet for similar stories and was really worried about it, you just learn to live with it after a while. i also had a cyst which changed in size over time but eventually went away.

i still have no idea what it is but the fact that other people have it and it is apparentley harmless im not too bothered about it.

hope this helps mate

• Posted

Hey Rob,

Cheers for your reply. 

I'm not looking too much into it. I'll give it a few more months and see how it goes. Thanks again.

• Posted

Helped a lot mate. Every detail you described there down to the very age is the same as me
    • Posted

Hi, I am 22, and im on the same boat. Its been 5 years, were you ever able to fix it? They have a dull ache for about a year and a half. Two ultrasounds and they both came back negative. Docotors and my urologist have no idea what it is. Please let me know.

• Posted

I had the same symptoms which turned out to be varicocele, varicose veins in the left testicle. They were removed with surgery but I'm alwasy in pain and very tender.
    • Posted

That was my initial thought. I have a varicocele at the moment. However, they're conclusively detected by ultrasound so I don't know whether it would be that unless they are very small veins that were just missed. Considering how common Varicoceles are (15% of the population of males) and given these are classic symptoms I'd think they'd be looking for them specifically during the ultrasound.

Out of curiosity, what treatment did you have? Was it the microsurgical operation?

I'm currently weighing up options and don't like the sound of the embolisation method.

• Posted

Most of my ultrasounds came back with zero results one would expect. No Cancer, no torsion even though it felt like torsion. Orchialgia was my final diagnoses. My remaining testicle was removed last week and I donated it to science so no other man has to endure what I did. Crying every day and night sometimes for hours on end. My case was extreme nerve pains labeled as debilitating. I endured three surgeries but in the end I have NO MORE TESTICLE PAIN!!! And everything still works as it should just won't be able to get my wife pregnant ever again but I have 2 boys that will ensure my bloodline continues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.