Dumping

Posted , 4 users are following.

In some discussions I've seen the term 'dumping' in regards to Achalasia.  Can anyone tell me what this is?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry Donna, Alan had told me not long ago but for the life of me I can't remember. Maybe because my head is in a unusual place.smile. HaVe to put my dog down tomorrow after having him for 17 years. He's had many health issues along the way but they think he had a stroke 2 days ago. It's very sad to watch him. I can't believe he won't be here anymore. Very depressed. Good luck getting your answer, maybe ask Alan . Take care

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your dog, I well know what that is like, saying goodbye to a faithful 'friend'...in my case, it was my cat.  Thank you, I will see if Alan can answer this question.

• Posted

Dumping refers to the dumping of stomach contents too early from the stomach into the duodenum that can occur in those of us who have had surgery resulting in a smaller stomach.

I copied this from a health forum run by the Oesophageal patients Association:

Dumping syndrome is a group of signs and symptoms that develops most often in people who have had surgery to remove all or part of their stomach, or in whom much of their stomach has been surgically bypassed to help lose weight. It may occur early or late.

Early dumping:

This typically starts during a meal or within 15-30 minutes following a meal. It is thought to be caused by foods which are high in sugar passing too quickly from the stomach pouch into the small intestine. Because the food is very concentrated (dense) it attracts a correspondingly large amount of fluid into the gut causing it to become stretched and painful. Early dumping syndrome symptoms include:

Nausea

Vomiting

Abdominal pain, cramps

Diarrhea

Dizziness, lightheadedness

Bloating, belching

Fatigue

Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

Late dumping

This typically occurs 1-3 hours after eating. Late dumping syndrome is caused by marked changes in blood sugar levels. When sugar is eaten it is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream triggering a rapid rise in blood sugar levels. The pancreas responds by secreting an equally large amount of insulin to soak up the excess blood sugar. However, sometimes the pancreas produces too much insulin, resulting in a low blood sugar level (hypoglycaemia). Late dumping syndrome symptoms include:

Sweating

Weakness, fatigue

Dizziness, light-headedness

Shakiness

Feelings of anxiety, nervousness

Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

Fainting

Mental confusion

If you experience late dumping syndrome you need to eat a glucose sweet (anything sweet will do) immediately. Then eat something which is lower in sugar – eg. crackers, wholemeal biscuits, yoghurt etc.

• Posted

Thanks for the information. Is it possible to have early dumping if you have not had surgery on your stomach? Also, is there anything you can do for it?
    • Posted

Not sure you'll be getting dumping if you've not had your stomach constricted in any way.

I experienced it following Collis-Nissen reflux reduction surgery. (The Collis bit sections and effectively reduces the size of the stomach to provide a longer oesophagus to accept the Nissen wrap. ) It can be very worrying - particulalry the late dumping: profuse sweating, rapid heartbeat, completely vague feeling and, on three occasions, rapid fainting. It took me about 15 months to learn to manage it.

Core charity (www corecharity org uk) provide an excellent patient information leaflet about Dumping. (Search Dumping on their site. )

This is their advice for managing it:

? Eat smaller, more frequent meals. Eating 5 or 6 small meals more often allows eating the equivalent of 3 regular meals without feeling full too fast. Eat slowly and chew all foods thoroughly. Sit upright whilst eating.

? Solid foods account for most episodes of dumping. Symptoms are triggered more by solid food that requires breakdown in the stomach such as a piece of steak or pork chop rather than ground meat, which is easier to digest.

? Limit fluid consumption during meals. Drink liquids 30 – 60 minutes before or after meals instead of with meals.

? Avoid nutrient-rich drinks. Dumping syndrome is often triggered by nutritional supplements or a milk shake.

? Eat fewer simple sugars. Foods high in simple sugar should be avoided because they pass through the stomach quickly and may cause diarrhea and cramping. Avoid or limit high sugary foods and drinks.

? Eat more complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, pastas, potatoes, rice, breads and unsweetened cereals.

? Eat more foods high in soluble fiber. Foods high in soluble fiber slow stomach emptying and prevent sugars from being absorbed too quickly. The following foods are high in soluble fiber: apples, beets, sprouts, carrots, oats, spinach and pears.

? Increase the amount of fats in the diet. Fats slow the stomach emptying and may help to prevent dumping syndrome from developing.

? Increase the amount of protein eaten. Eat a protein containing food with each meal. High protein foods include eggs, meat, poultry, fish, milk, yogurt, cheese and peanut butter.

For those of us who have, or had, dumping syndrome, it usually goes after a while as our bodies adjust but the advice to eat small amounts, more regulalrly, and to take time eating whilst keeping upright, is worth heeding.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to explain . I appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.